Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Yes it's the inconvenient truth. It boils down to the dollars and cents.

You don't know the half of it... Many of these child minders are badly abused by their so called "liberal progressive" white employers. We're talking about having to work basically 24/7 as the parents or mother refuses to get up even at night to see to a child's needs, but with no increase in pay or overtime paid.

Then there are the women who get stiffed by their employers. We know of a "nannie" that hadn't been paid for *two months*. Yet the lady of the house kept expecting her to turn up each morning and take care of those children. Worse the employer (mother) didn't work, so in reality was a SAHM.

When the nanny finally got up enough nerve to ask about her back pay the family gave her about a week of what she was owed. Meanwhile they were paying this woman barely minimum wage for her ten, twelve or more hour days. Last we heard the nanny quit but don't think she got her full back wages.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Because they are cheaper. It shouldn't matter the color of someone's skin. It is more important to employ a caring, nurturing employee who will take care of your child as if it was their own. P.s. Brooklyn is a liberal place. You are going to have a heart attack if things like these gets unsee your skin.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 05-12-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Especially in downtown Brooklyn near Barclays Center area I see many many of them.. i also saw a muslim women with white babies
Nothing agianst that but i see this too much to an extenct it disturbing.
Me myself would prefer my babysitter being same ethnicity as baby...liberals promoting diversity i guess.

What Americans Will Look Like in 2050 - It's Beautiful

Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Because they are cheaper. It shouldn't matter the color of someone's skin. It is more important to employ and caring, nurturing employee who will take care of your child as if it was their own. P.s. Brooklyn is a liberal place. You are going to have a heart attack if things like these gets unsee your skin.

Will agree about the quality of child minders, but there is where you run into problems. Again not every household even solid NYC middle class can afford truly professional child care (those with proper training and or education, and licensed), or even high quality in terms of those who are just that good.

What most families end up with is a jumped up baby sitter who treats their charges often "as a job".

Cannot tell you how many times have seen these so called nannies pushing an infant in it's stroller or whatever on days when it is freezing cold. They have on gloves or mittens, but the kid does not. Then there are the ones who yell at, threaten, belittle and otherwise not treat their charges properly. Thank goodness for nanny-cams.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Because they are cheaper. It shouldn't matter the color of someone's skin. It is more important to employ and caring, nurturing employee who will take care of your child as if it was their own. P.s. Brooklyn is a liberal place. You are going to have a heart attack if things like these gets unsee your skin.

To give an idea of what "professional" nannies including those with BofS degrees earn look here: Nanny, Norland Graduate Jobs, Employment in New York, NY | Indeed.com

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To give an idea of what "professional" nannies including those with BofS degrees earn look here: Nanny, Norland Graduate Jobs, Employment in New York, NY | Indeed.com
I am awarw of what a good qualified nanny costs. I have spoken to wealthy families. Not 'upper class' in name and appreance. Private jet using, five star hotel staying nanny (because that is where the family stays so the nanny goes with). The nannies were educated. One had a graduate degree with six figure salaries, paid vacations etc. The nannies always spoke a different language so that the child would be exposed to another language.

Many illegal nannies have been able to become residents because they were so good with the child/children that the family sponsored them to become residents in the i oted states.
I say this to say it isn't always about cheap labour. Good employees come in varing shades.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Funny thing is that it is often cheaper to get the eastern european college students taking a gap year to come and work as 'au pairs' through the u.s. government exchange vistiors program. But many people don't know this.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is that it is often cheaper to get the eastern european college students taking a gap year to come and work as 'au pairs' through the u.s. government exchange vistiors program. But many people don't know this.
Yes, but then you have a revolving door of child minders coming through your house. That cannot be good for the children. Nursery duty requires stability not having your kids bonding to someone new every six or twelve months.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
sometimes parents just want their children to learn a different language and be exposed to different cultures. Not everything has to be negative, you know ...

Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Welcome to NY, many immigrants out there that will babysit and clean your home for affordable prices. And will probably work harder than your neighbors spoiled daughter next door.

These are the same immigrants we give a hard
I doubt these baby sitters are immigrants . They look American born. Just who want cash jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: