Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wonder how far North in the Bronx it would be considered a "good investment" to buy in
My apartment has increased in value by about 30% since 2009 . Not bad considering the real estate melt down that happened during that period. I feel like it's a pretty good investment going forward as well though I have no intention of selling for many years, if ever.

My guess is that even the northernmost neighborhoods like Woodlawn, Wakefield and Riverdale are pretty good investments too. I think there are a lot of other factors to consider other than just how far north a place is. Nothing wrong with being in Woodlawn a few blocks from the metro north stop…20 minutes to GC.

Similarly,areas of Eastern Morris Park that have traditionally been a little transportation challenged will soon have new metro north service to Penn station.Prices around the area near the station have already been going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
This may be worth a shot:

Sunny Bainbridge Studio

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Hello,

I am currently in the process of apartment hunting for a new place in the BX and I have been running into issues finding prospects I can actually afford. A little background on me: I am a mid-20s female, single and no kids. Young professional making $49,000+ salaried. Fairly good credit, but still building and paying down student loan debt. No collections, liens or evictions.

I have lived in NYC for 5 years+, did the roommate thing for the bulk of the 4 years and have spent the last year living alone in a studio within a private home in the BX. The neighborhood I am currently in is less than favorable and a major headache when it comes to transportation (15-20min walk to train stations in either direction), and the landlord (who lives on the premises) has been quite deceptive and overbearing for much of the time I have been here.

Suffice to say, I am looking to leave this situation soon.

The problem is it seems as though its next to impossible to find any housing within a reasonable price range for what I make. To be clear, I am realistic about costs for different neighborhoods. Ideally I would not be living in the BX to begin with, but the reason I moved here was because it was the only borough (outside of SI) that I could afford to live in by myself. It now appears that this is no longer the case. :-/

Is anyone able to advise as to any reputable management companies or buildings with available Studio or 1 bedroom units within this range? Or am I just completely being unrealistic?
Check DM. Used to live there.
Can give you some leads and what you want definitely exists and in very well managed buildings.
No broker necessary and these apt's are not listed online.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
My apartment has increased in value by about 30% since 2009 . Not bad considering the real estate melt down that happened during that period. I feel like it's a pretty good investment going forward as well though I have no intention of selling for many years, if ever.

My guess is that even the northernmost neighborhoods like Woodlawn, Wakefield and Riverdale are pretty good investments too.
I don't know much about the other Bronx neighborhoods, but I don't think Riverdale is such a great investment.

Prices are pretty low there (in spite of everyone saying it's a "nice" neighborhood), and property values don't seem to rise much there.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
In the Melrose section of the Bronx I have personally seen $900 1 bedrooms, noisy crummy areas in crumbly buildings though...

Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM

127 posts, read 216,183 times
Utmost thanks to everyone for your super helpful insight and leads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I moved to Pelham Parkway from Brooklyn 8 years ago.No regrets at all. I agree about Allerton. Not as nice up there. The areas South of Waring are great however….especially between White Plains Rd and Bronx Park East which is where the building I linked is.Lots of nice buildings in through there, many with signs on them with numbers to call for apartments.You can probably pick up some of the phone numbers if you do a street view walk up and don those block.There is one on the street view I linked for 655 but can't make out the last 2 digits because of a tree. Maybe from a different angle ?

YES ! https://goo.gl/maps/n8kQAVZakMJ2
I actually never thought to do that! lol But that's pretty cool, I will check into this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
If you check the filters, you can eliminate AirBnB as an option, since it checks various websites. I find it easier to check the site from a computer than my phone if that helps.

There are still apts out there and I can understand your logic. For instance, I'm a born and raised Brooklyn girl and have no desire to move to the Bronx. I also wouldn't suggest Bensonhurst either because of the N line being messed up right now with the construction project.

Maybe check the local church newsletters as they sometimes have ads. Ask friends how they found their apts. Lotteries can take a long time, so don't hold out for that right away.
Funnily enough, majority of my friends are either Brooklyn based or in Jersey, Needless to say, the BK friends are still confused as to why I moved to BX in the 1st place. They also are still in roommate situations. The only two people I know who live on their own: 1. in Jersey and 2. living in a rent stabilized apartment on 96th and Lexington, and she has been there for 8+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This may be worth a shot:

Sunny Bainbridge Studio
If this is the same listing I think it is, it was also posted on StreetEasy, and the same management company was listing a 1 bedroom in Bedford Park for $1200 with an August 1st move in and this one for July 1st. I emailed them on both Craigslist and StreetEasy, received an immediate reply to schedule a viewing for the apt and then when I replied, nothing! I even called and spoke with a woman and she was very rude and abrupt, said apt. was still occupied by tenant and she couldn't reply until she heard back from the tenant. That was last week and I still haven't heard back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Check DM. Used to live there.
Can give you some leads and what you want definitely exists and in very well managed buildings.
No broker necessary and these apt's are not listed online.
You are SOOOOOO awesome! I got your messages and that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't know much about the other Bronx neighborhoods, but I don't think Riverdale is such a great investment.

Prices are pretty low there (in spite of everyone saying it's a "nice" neighborhood), and property values don't seem to rise much there.
Prices have been stable there for a long time. So no it is probably not a "great" investment. You won't lose your money either though and it is a great place to live.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
For anyone else looking in this range, this $1250 studio looks like a decent deal. 40-67 Hampton St. in Elmhurst, Queens | StreetEasy It is only a 5 minute walk to the 7 train and a 7 minute walk to the M/R. I think it would be only 30 minutes door to door if you're working in Midtown. Also, tons of inexpensive restaurants nearby and a short walk to the Queens Mall and Target. However, I don't know anything about the building itself.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 PM

107 posts, read 85,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Hello,

I am currently in the process of apartment hunting for a new place in the BX and I have been running into issues finding prospects I can actually afford. A little background on me: I am a mid-20s female, single and no kids. Young professional making $49,000+ salaried. Fairly good credit, but still building and paying down student loan debt. No collections, liens or evictions.

I have lived in NYC for 5 years+, did the roommate thing for the bulk of the 4 years and have spent the last year living alone in a studio within a private home in the BX. The neighborhood I am currently in is less than favorable and a major headache when it comes to transportation (15-20min walk to train stations in either direction), and the landlord (who lives on the premises) has been quite deceptive and overbearing for much of the time I have been here.

Suffice to say, I am looking to leave this situation soon.

The problem is it seems as though its next to impossible to find any housing within a reasonable price range for what I make. To be clear, I am realistic about costs for different neighborhoods. Ideally I would not be living in the BX to begin with, but the reason I moved here was because it was the only borough (outside of SI) that I could afford to live in by myself. It now appears that this is no longer the case. :-/

Is anyone able to advise as to any reputable management companies or buildings with available Studio or 1 bedroom units within this range? Or am I just completely being unrealistic?

I'm not ready to say it's impossible, but it's certainly becoming less and less possible. I am absolutely amazed to discover how high the rents have jumped in the neighborhoods with which I am familiar, and while they are large, the units and buildings have much to be desired.

It's so hard when you have to pay off college loans. They consume such a significant chunk of one's income. I do hope you find something that meets your needs and fits your budget.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 AM

127 posts, read 216,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopted View Post
I'm not ready to say it's impossible, but it's certainly becoming less and less possible. I am absolutely amazed to discover how high the rents have jumped in the neighborhoods with which I am familiar, and while they are large, the units and buildings have much to be desired.

It's so hard when you have to pay off college loans. They consume such a significant chunk of one's income. I do hope you find something that meets your needs and fits your budget.
Thanks for your support and kind words. I am happy to report that I was actually called back for a lottery I interviewed for back in January. I had my credit run last Friday and I just went and submitted my updated docs yesterday, so fingers are now crossed for that to pull through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City