Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
Re: the first sentence, I saw exactly that during our time living there and was unsurprised. The term "East Village" has an appealing feel to it from a real estate and business marketing perspective. It's a bit bohemian and quaint, but not overly so, and does not suggest danger or having to wade too far from one's personal comfort zone. Did you notice that many of the 30/40-something yuppie newcomers likewise would call their neighborhood "East Village"? I saw this often. Still do.

The "Alphabet" moniker is preferred by the type of student or 23-year-old who believes that, were he to have been born in the same decade as Dee Dee Ramone, he'd be living a romantic life of club-going and new music "discovering," fall into an exciting but not too dangerous drug addiction, and have sex with attractive but of course disease free and always faithful women. (Applies to women, too, and gay students; just swap to the appropriate gender.) But, having been born in the terrible year of 1995 or whatever it is, he is of course doomed to a lifetime of ennui by virtue of sharing a generation with Justin Beiber, which of course means that is all he is "generationally allowed to" listen to. (Older people do this too, but it sounds more like "All music after the Beatles/Stones was pure sh1t!")
But the LES these days also has a positive connotation, it's considered to be a very desirable neighborhood. I guess East Village still sounds more charming to me though. From a geographic and architectural standpoint, it does make sense for Alphabet City to be lumped in with the East Village in my opinion (the street grid, for instance).

And I was born in 1995, most people my age don't listen to Justin Bieber, at least not intentionally. But he is a very successful pop musician who has a big fanbase and releases some catchy songs. I don't hate the guy, he makes forgettable pop songs like the majority of pop musicians in any era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Geraldine Ferraro didn't fight for Ridgewood / Glendale to get a Queens zip code because she was racist. It had more to do with it demanding its own Queens zip code because they are not in Brooklyn. Also business on the Queens side shouldn't have to pay the same insurance premiums as that on the Brooklyn side when they didn't face the same threat of theft and arson as a business would in Bushwick during the '70s and '80s.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:45 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to walk around the neighborhood and see how it is!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Will you get shot? Most likely not. Will it affect your quality of life? Most likely. I've never been fearful in any area of NYC (can't really speak for outside Manhattan) but it doesn't mean I'd want to live there. Nobody can really say if it's an area you'd be comfortable in or enjoy besides yourself, so I'd try and spend time in the neighborhood before making a move.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 PM

31 posts, read 162,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to walk around the neighborhood and see how it is!
Do it on a weekend with 90 Plus temps after 10pm.
Start at D and Houston go along Ave D to 10 st make a left on 10th walk to ave C turn left walk back to
Houston then ave B ect......

FYI Rinconcito Restaurant on 10th st between C&D cheap kick ass latino food and drinks.

I use to go to Rinconcito get 1 Chuleta and Pernil con Cuerito side of Arroz Amarillo y Habichuelas, drink 151 and Redbulls, play the jukebox (Salsa y merengues), get the mamacitas digits, play fast draw till closing and then go home often with a mamacita in tow.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:20 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Go on a regular Sunday around 11am-3pm and wake up and down Ave a and Ave b too.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Will you get shot? Most likely not. Will it affect your quality of life? Most likely. I've never been fearful in any area of NYC (can't really speak for outside Manhattan) but it doesn't mean I'd want to live there. Nobody can really say if it's an area you'd be comfortable in or enjoy besides yourself, so I'd try and spend time in the neighborhood before making a move.
Yes, very good points. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, very good points. Thanks.
Have you checked out the neighborhood yet?

Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
will you get shot? Most likely not. Will it affect your quality of life? Most likely. I've never been fearful in any area of nyc (can't really speak for outside manhattan) but it doesn't mean i'd want to live there. nobody can really say if it's an area you'd be comfortable in or enjoy besides yourself, so i'd try and spend time in the neighborhood before making a move.
+1

Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
I was there a few months agao and took this photo. Peeps are loud!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City