Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 80,915 times

Advertisements

my car's sticker is gonna expired soon. it has been parked in garage for 10 months since last registration renew...and i am not gonna drive it for at least 12 months...

so do i still need to do annual inspection for it? if i don't do inspection will dmv sends me a bill?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
if your registration is going to expire and you don't have it inspected you can't renew your registration. if your registration is not going to expire soon they might send you a reminder but in the meantime you can get a parking ticket for the uninspected vehicle or if you are stopped you can get a ticket, then you will rack up fines and they can increase for a second and third violation

Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 80,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
if your registration is going to expire and you don't have it inspected you can't renew your registration. if your registration is not going to expire soon they might send you a reminder but in the meantime you can get a parking ticket for the uninspected vehicle or if you are stopped you can get a ticket, then you will rack up fines and they can increase for a second and third violation
sounds like even if i am not gonna drive it i still need to inspect it......hmm

thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthetic View Post
my car's sticker is gonna expired soon. it has been parked in garage for 10 months since last registration renew...and i am not gonna drive it for at least 12 months...

so do i still need to do annual inspection for it? if i don't do inspection will dmv sends me a bill?

thanks
If it's not out in the street there is no way a traffic cop will notice your inspection expired and give you a ticket. You only need to worry if you are going to drive the car.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The issue is if it is expired, and you have to get it to the inspection station. To do so legally, you would have to have it towed from the garage to the inspection station, so it would be less expensive to get the car inspected right now, even if your registration is still valid.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The issue is if it is expired, and you have to get it to the inspection station. To do so legally, you would have to have it towed from the garage to the inspection station, so it would be less expensive to get the car inspected right now, even if your registration is still valid.
Yeah that's the situation I found myself in. Like the genius I am, I waited until the very last day to get my inspection done, and then got into a wreck on the drive to the place.

Fortunetly the old inspection was still valid through midnight of that night, so no ticket there, but the car was in the shop for a couple of weeks, so when I got it back I had the most cautious drive ever for the half mile to the inspection place.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I just did my registration and inspection. And honestly I forgot, so my registration sticker lapsed about a couple days. My inspection sticker was good until the end of Feb., so I got that taken care of 1st then renewed my registration at DMV. I'm really lucky to have good mechanics 2 blocks away from my house.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthetic View Post

thanks

Why would you continue to pay for a vehicle you rarely drive?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Car registration in New York does NOT require inspection.

Driving without inspection is at your own risk-
I would not seek the re-registration, and simply when the time comes 12 months from make an appointment for inspection and ask for a letter in the mail or appointment card stating such.

In the rare occurrence you get pulled over on the way to the place your car is being inspected at, you can show them that documentation and have a decent chance of not being ticketed.

DMV can also issue temporary 3 day inspection sticker waivers. Usually they do this in the case of new registrations, but if you explain the situation (say a car is being stored out of New York, and returning to New York) they may give you one of these when the time comes.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
In the rare occurrence you get pulled over on the way to the place your car is being inspected at, you can show them that documentation and have a decent chance of not being ticketed.
Not if the inspection is a year or more out-of-date as that is knowingly driving a vehicle without inspection, not an oversight or forgetful driver. The car could technically be impounded for such , and can affect insurance rates. If the OP does not want to inspect the car now, perhaps because it would fail and require a repair, then the only recourse that is legal is to have the vehicle towed. Once the inspection is expired, it cannot be legally operated on the streets of New York.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: