Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 7,808 times

Advertisements

Apologies if these get posted by would be tourists quite frequently, I have made up a three day itinerary for an upcoming trip to NYC for my wife's 40th birthday and would like some feedback if possible. FWIW we are staying at the Roosevelt in Midtown Manhattan:

Day 1: Lower Manhattan
The New WTC & 911 memorial
Battery Park
Staten Is. ferry
Ellis Is
Statue of Liberty
Brooklyn Bridge
Dinner in Little Italy

Day 2: Midtown
Empire State building
Grand Central station
Rockefeller
Times Square
Macys/shopping
Greenwich village
NY library
Broadway show

Day 3: Upper Manhattan (Sunday, lazy day)
Central Park (bike rental)
Possibly venture to Yankee Stadium for a tour??
Maybe take a bus tour of the city and see some last places that we didn't get to??
Maybe a museum??

Is there anything that I should do that is a must see and is there anything that I have listed that I should not bother with?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM

840 posts, read 695,856 times
Chelsea Pier and Chelsea maybe for lunch. There are other U.S.S. Intrepid tour along the Hudson (at 46th) if you like military type tours. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Serendipity for deserts (225 e. 60th). Many films were done here.

Hop on Hop off bus even though touristy gives good overview of the city and you can jump off anytime.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 PM

337 posts, read 424,531 times
Seems like you have too much in one day. Your going to have to run through that schedule to do all those things. Tbh i think its great all those activities but you may feel like you arent enjoying it. Have to take travel time into considerstion. Good luck just do what you can!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
I don't know if this will help you, but this is the NYC official tourism site's idea of how to see the city in 3 days: New York City in Three Days | The Official Guide to New York City

Edit - actually, the 7 day itinerary might be more useful http://www.nycgo.com/articles/nyc-in-7-days

Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,227 times
My thoughts...
If you're referring to One World Observatory pay extra for the tickets you can go to anytime during that day. It's worth it to be able to just go in and enjoy.
I hear that the Statue of Liberty tours consume a lot of time. You can get great views by just riding the free ferry. So if you're just wanting some great views the ferry can solve that. Ferry takes almost 30 minutes each way & you have to exit the ferry. If you go during the busy hours you should only have to wait 15 minutes I believe but make sure you check out the schedule so you don't have to wait 30 minutes. *You might be able to get off the ferry & get right back on but if you only have to wait 15 minutes it might be worth it to get off and check out the Yankees minor league stadium*

You can rent bikes in that area too so you might enjoy renting a bike and riding up the bike path a long the Hudson. This would allow you to check out Battery Park and even go all the way up to Chelsea Piers.

Empire State Building..there is also a similar building/tour called Top of the Rock that is less known therefore less busy. You also can get all day access depending on the ticket you buy in advance. Again, this allows you to show up at anytime during the day. If you just want to get a 365 view of Manhattan/city I'd recommend this one. It's also at Rockefeller Center so you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.

I'm assuming you would look into Yankee Stadium tours to see the times/hours. Probably are only done in the morning. You'd probably need to take the #1 train up there so leave enough time in case you get lost.
Central Park is vast and I have not been there yet but I know the Natural History museum is right by it on the East Side. So if you check out that museum you'd be walking distance to the park.

Times Square I'd save for a night time visit. Just be prepared for thousands of people.

You can do a lot of those but like somebody mentioned you don't want to rush. For me personally things like Grand Central Station is cool to check out. But it's something that for me will satisfy my needs in about 10 minutes of viewing.

If you want to check out Greenwich Village try and do it for lunch or dinner.

I know NYC has a lot of bike rentals so it might also work well if you do that for the Brooklyn Bridge. You can probably google areas to rent a bike. But this way you can ride up and down the bridge within a reasonable amount of time. Walking would consume a lot of your time. Also, if you are doing well on time you could ride your bike over the bridge and around the Dumbo area of Brooklyn. Offers some great views of Lower Manhattan.

I'm a big fan of riding bikes in the city. I've been 7 times (NYC) so far so the common places I've already done but when you have a bike it really allows you to go into the less popular areas that are interesting. I highly recommend the Greenway bike path. Offers beautiful views along the west side part of the city.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Park resident View Post
Apologies if these get posted by would be tourists quite frequently, I have made up a three day itinerary for an upcoming trip to NYC for my wife's 40th birthday and would like some feedback if possible. FWIW we are staying at the Roosevelt in Midtown Manhattan:

Day 1: Lower Manhattan
The New WTC & 911 memorial
Battery Park
Staten Is. ferry
Ellis Is
Statue of Liberty
Brooklyn Bridge
Dinner in Little Italy

Is there anything that I should do that is a must see and is there anything that I have listed that I should not bother with?

Thanks very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
My thoughts...

I hear that the Statue of Liberty tours consume a lot of time. You can get great views by just riding the free ferry. So if you're just wanting some great views the ferry can solve that. Ferry takes almost 30 minutes each way & you have to exit the ferry. If you go during the busy hours you should only have to wait 15 minutes I believe but make sure you check out the schedule so you don't have to wait 30 minutes. *You might be able to get off the ferry & get right back on but if you only have to wait 15 minutes it might be worth it to get off and check out the Yankees minor league stadium*
I too think one should only do the Staten Island free ferry and not bother with Liberty Island/Ellis Island visits/ferry unless one has a strong interest in the history of immigration via NYC to the USA as the Liberty/Ellis Island stuff will take up at least a whole afternoon. The views from the Staten Island free ferry are great for photo taking. Also if you decide to get off the Staten Island ferry in Staten Island you can visit the nearby 9/11 Memorial for Staten Islanders killed on that date but I do not think the Staten Island Yankees minor league stadium is worth a visit as it is nothing special IMHO.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:38 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too think one should only do the Staten Island free ferry and not bother with Liberty Island/Ellis Island visits/ferry unless one has a strong interest in the history of immigration via NYC to the USA as the Liberty/Ellis Island stuff will take up at least a whole afternoon. The views from the Staten Island free ferry are great for photo taking. Also if you decide to get off the Staten Island ferry in Staten Island you can visit the nearby 9/11 Memorial for Staten Islanders killed on that date but I do not think the Staten Island Yankees minor league stadium is worth a visit as it is nothing special IMHO.
If he's a big Yankees fan it might be cool to just walk up to and take some pictures. I know if I could check out the Dodgers Single A stadium I'd at least walk to it and take a few pictures. Considering it's SO close.

Great point about only doing the island if you're interested in the immigration.

I might be going up there myself in October. I might need to check out the memorial. Is it walking distance from the ferry terminal? thanks

Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Personally, I always recommend a guide book for anyone here more than a day, rather than asking random strangers for their "must see" ideas. For instance, museums would be a top priority with me, but are a low priority with you. I will say, though, that in my experience, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are very time-consuming.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If he's a big Yankees fan it might be cool to just walk up to and take some pictures. I know if I could check out the Dodgers Single A stadium I'd at least walk to it and take a few pictures. Considering it's SO close.

Great point about only doing the island if you're interested in the immigration.

I might be going up there myself in October. I might need to check out the memorial. Is it walking distance from the ferry terminal? thanks
I have been to the Staten Island Yankees stadium. It is small and there is nothing remarkable about it.

Yes the memorial is a very short walk from the terminal and can be seen from the terminal lookout area.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,512,994 times
Why dinner in Little Italy? There's not much of it left these days (Chinatown has gotten a lot larger) - and the remaining restaurants aren't very good for the most part. Here is a list of some remaining Italian restaurants that are supposed to be ok from a website that I usually find reliable:

Visiting NYC? Where to Eat (and Avoid) in Little Italy and Chinatown | Serious Eats

We'll be visiting New York next week - and our one Italian restaurant is Marea - a 2* Michelin restaurant:

Seafood Restaurant NYC | Best Crudo new york | Fresh oysters nyc | Authentic Italian food manhattan | Antipasti | Michael White | House-made pasta | Frutti di mare nyc | Francesco Grosso wine list| Freshest seafood nyc

We've dined there before - and I think it's excellent. It's a bit on the pricey side - $102 for 4 courses. But a good place for a birthday celebration. Note that you can easily spend $60-70 on very mediocre meals in Manhattan. I think it's worth a few dollars more to get excellent meals.

Also - it's 1.4 miles away from your hotel. So you can walk or take a short cab ride. You won't be spending a small fortune to get to/from your hotel/downtown.

Also - I think you're trying to do too much. For example - the Ellis Island museum (which we're planning to visit as well) pretty much takes up the better part of an afternoon. And this is how you get there:

https://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/fees.htm

Buying ferry tickets in advance is highly recommended. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City