Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:54 PM

22 posts, read 33,887 times

Advertisements

I am 24 & I live in Michigan and the employment is low. I mean it has gotten better than the last few years. But it is still low, and hard to find a decent job. I had a great paying job and was supposed to move to LA for a job transfer but the job end up getting hit with a lawsuit and they went out of business fast. I had accumulated a very nice amount of savings in hopes to bounce back. Ended up having to spend my savings and helped out family who isn't appreciative and still treat me like rat ****.

Enough of the cries. I am looking to relocate to NYC. I will attend college and work as a back up plan! But the main goal is to get into writing books. However, we all know that won't pay the bills right away. Therefore, I will be attending college for an LPN program. To support myself if all else fails. Don't worry I love the medical field. Just not my #1 choice.

Anyhow, I am desperate to make this move by November 2016. I am living with my mom which is pure misery. I soaked in depression for a few years and just so anxious for change and to get away from my toxic family. I won't elaborate on family issues too much, but there is a strong pattern of mental abuse and i can't deal anymore. I'm working two low paying jobs, paying off credit card debt of $2100 will be done paying next month. I give my mom money per month and throw what's left in my savings. Which won't be nothing but like $1,950 by November.

I, however ran across a job in NYC that is looking for live in home care. Paying $200 a day, 21 days a month. The job is non medical assiatance. its a real agency. I researched and everything. They are always hiring and is aware of my situation. I did a Skype interview, did well and I am on their hire list. They informed me to call when I make it to NYC. Im thinking in November or late late October I'm taking my chances to go. This job is good paying, room and board and I can save up before college which will be May 2017. Give me time to get on my feet.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Last edited by HaneDough; 09-08-2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I don't know if your plan is good or not. But you would get more replies if you posted your query on the NYC forum rather than the NY State forum.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Be very skeptical of this job prospect. It could be a "come on."

Old 09-10-2016, 05:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Also, don't bother with an LPN program in NYC. They don't really hire them anymore.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,074 times
I'm a Michigan native and can kind of/sort of relate. The job market has picked up there from what I've heard, but no one deserves to go through life in a place they aren't happy. I was going to mention to you that I know of wealthy families in Bloomfield Hills that hire live-in nannies. I saw one that pays exactly what you would make in NYC... and allows for 15 days off-duty a month with private living quarters rent-free. There are jobs in Michigan but you've really got to dig for them.

Personally, I'd suggest getting at least a bachelor's before making any big plans. The job market is tricky everywhere and it pays to have a real education and skill set. Why not simply take out a small student loan and attend one of the public in-state universities? You could live in a student apartment with roommates and that would get you out of your living situation with your family. That's what I did, and I did it working full-time waitressing so I could graduate without debt. You don't have to have experience at many places and the money is good. It can be done.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Sorry, but this does not sound great:
-You do not have a lot of savings
-You do not have a college degree
-You don't mention any particular skills or expertise

I'd be wary about that job/agency. You don't mention having any experience in this, so I don't know why they'd immediately tell you they could place you. Be especially wary if their placing you involves your paying them any up-front money. A reputable agency will take their fee out of your paycheck.

But to move for an unskilled-labor kind of job does not sound promising. I understand your problems at home, but I think you should wait, try to shore up any skills, and save more money.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
I came to NY in the 90's, my savings had an extra 0 than you do (20,000), a place to live and a job. And it was difficult. That said, I don't like to tell people they shouldn't do something. I think everyone should be able to do what will make them happy.
So if you think you will be able to make it her, off your own dime then go for it. If you plan on moving here and in order to do so need help from programs or other people then I think you need a different option.
Will you be able to afford rent (Its not cheap), transportation, food, other bills ect. Whats the back up plan shall the job not work out?
I would do more research on the job. It does seem a little bit sketchy.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:14 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
I can understand wanting to get out of Michigan - but why NYC? One of the most expensive places in the whole country. I would look elsewhere. Both to get an LPN certification and to write books. Also - I would go for something more than an LPN certificate - like an RN degree. Robyn

P.S. Are you really sure you want to do live-in LPN work (like taking care of/cleaning up old people)? Living with some old lady who's going to boss you around 24/7? Do this/do that/do the other thing. Probably worse than living with your mother.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:24 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,074 times
The other thing I would add to the OP is that what sounds like a lot of money in Michigan is not that much in New York. I'm sure she's already been told this but it needs to be clear- with what you'd be offered in pay you would be making less than $2800 per month after taxes with the combined federal, state, and city tax. You wouldn't be able to live in Manhattan comfortably even with roommates. You would probably have to either live in one of the outer boroughs or Jersey. And most landlords won't rent until you're at a job for at least 6 months, sometimes a year or more. I'm not saying that to get your hopes down, but just be aware. The poster who mentioned getting the RN may be right. If you obtained that your salary would go up considerably. I know that because one of my closest friends is a RN and she started making damn good money right out of school. If you go about things that way, you'd be employable all over the country with a wage that you could live decently on. You'd have the option of NYC still and be able to do it right... enjoy the city and whatnot and have a nice place to call home. The kind of thing I think you're hoping for now. You're close to it, plan carefully and don't do anything impulsive. If you've come this far you owe it to yourself!

Old 09-17-2016, 07:11 PM

546 posts, read 764,690 times
LPN is a not livable with out a partner or roommates its deadend stuck at making $16/hr.
try completing 2 year AS degree in Nursing there and take NYS exam here to be licensed.
RNs here start at 45k and move to 70k with experience
Try Construction Union/Apprentice jobs, u might be given preference if u are minority or female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: