Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is your standard of living in NYC?
Great - But I'm well off. 6 12.00%
I do OK - Pretty satisfied. 26 52.00%
I just get by - Doable. 14 28.00%
I have a hard time getting by - Worried 3 6.00%
I barely get by - May be homeless soon 1 2.00%
Homeless 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times

Advertisements

Wow, the cost of living in NYC is stupendous. Never knew it was sooo high until I started to plan a trip there for 10 days. Was planning a Greyhound bus trip with hotel to Times Square. The bus from Pittsburgh was $28 one way, the hotel was $2975. How the hell could Kerouac afford bumming around with his pals nowadays?

Well, my budget has me sleeping in a car over at the RV park in Jersey City for $65 a day. (I could rough it with a tent for $55 a day!) Also had to cut out things like paying $32 to go see the skyline from the Empire State Building. (Thought it was free.)

How are you getting by financially living in NYC? OK, you got the rich, but want about the rest? Does $50,000 a year get you a decent life or are you on the lower end in NYC?

Last edited by slackercruster; 10-05-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:07 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
NYC really isn't that expensive. The rent is outrageous, but that's about it. Everything else you can find for just as cheap as in other places.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:08 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Yeah, it's only the rent and real estate that is expensive to me. The food was more expensive in Pittsburgh when I visited in July imo.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 PM

983 posts, read 931,103 times
If my parents didn't give me 500$ a month and pay my cell phone bill, I would have to move back in with them pretty quickly, and I am not a big spender and my only large luxury is NOT having roomates

Old 10-05-2016, 04:25 PM

546 posts, read 763,710 times
NYC has same cost of living where you need a car. 1500/rent here vs $1000/rent+ car maintence/gas=almost same

Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM

607 posts, read 601,910 times
I moved here almost 6 months ago. It was rough at first, due to the cost of moving in general--I depleted my savings pretty quickly. I only came here with 2 suitcases of my belongings, so I had to buy a bed and all that kind of stuff, which gets expensive really quickly. Now that I'm a bit more settled, it's not as bad, and I actually have a little money to "play around" with. I'd have even more money if I didn't have a bit of a shopping/spending bug that likes to bite me a little too often...but I'm working on that, ha. I averaged around $3400 a month (after taxes) from June-September, and I just got a new job where I'm going to be making a little bit more, and have way better hours. Scoooooore. But anyway, yeah besides some major health problems I have going on, I'm happy here in NYC. It's not perfect, but it's pretty awesome. Billy Crystal came into my work today, that was awesome lol

Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Wow, the cost of living in NYC is stupendous. Never knew it was sooo high until I started to plan a trip there for 10 days. Was planning a Greyhound bus trip with hotel to Times Square. The bus from Pittsburgh was $28 one way, the hotel was $2975. How the hell could Kerouac afford bumming around with his pals nowadays?

Well, my budget has me sleeping in a car over at the RV park in Jersey City for $65 a day. (I could rough it with a tent for $55 a day!) Also had to cut out things like paying $32 to go see the skyline from the Empire State Building. (Thought it was free.)

How are you getting by financially living in NYC? OK, you got the rich, but want about the rest? Does $50,000 a year get you a decent life or are you on the lower end in NYC?

Buy your tickets three weeks in advance and take the Chinese bus instead of the grey hound. This cuts down on cost.

Air b n b apartment room rentals can be had for the $60 to $80 night rental.

Go to visit the sites on the free (donation to enter days) .
Ride the Staten island ferry for free to see the statue of liberty.

Thai food is cheap if you like Thai.
Jamaican restaurants are cheap if you buy lunch between 11am and 2pm. You can buy the mini meals. They call them minis but they stuff the container so it is actually a full meal
Ditch your car and ride the train.

Nyc is not that expensive if you know how to navigate.
Buying real estate is another discussion.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
NYC has same cost of living where you need a car. 1500/rent here vs $1000/rent+ car maintence/gas=almost same
In much of the US, you can get 400-500 dollar per month apartments.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
I agree, NYC isn't THAT expensive except for housing (rent or buying an apartment), which is EXORBITANT.

(I don't know about hotel rooms in NYC vs. elsewhere,I do suspect they're much more expensive here in NYC).

NYC is a lot of fun to visit and live in - it has a nice vibe,and is so big with so many different neighborhoods,I feel like you can never get bored.
I also like the cultural and artistic vibe,that it's progressive, that it's diverse.

HOWEVER,no,it's NOT easy to get by if you earn 50K.

For a family earning 50K it would be downright poverty.

For a single earning 50K you would be hard-pressed to find an apartment that you could afford to rent (even in the outer boroughs).

Personally I earn about that, but if I didn't have a two-income household I could never manage to rent an apartment in NYC. It's really sad but true.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
In much of the US, you can get 400-500 dollar per month apartments.
Where? Certainly not any decent sized city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City