Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 02:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,993,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Not to bud in but you do not need a graduate degree from an Ivy League to work in Investment banking, an undergrad from a non Ivy league is still acceptable.
Especially since investment banks don't just have underwriters and analyst and M & A. You have people working in operations, hr, etc. You have assistants. Rank and file brokers and traders do not need graduate degrees either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Especially since investment banks don't just have underwriters and analyst and M & A. You have people working in operations, hr, etc. You have assistants. Rank and file brokers and traders do not need graduate degrees either.
Exactly you have Front Office/Middle Office/Back Office(which you mentioned mostly being ops positions), then you have sub groups intertwined from Credit, Legal(not always requiring a law degree but preferred) to Regulatory/Compliance positions.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times
Quote:
I don't think you went to an Ivy League university, and investment banks include employees from CEO to operations (basically paperwork/processing).

What is your basis for saying that? I started out as in I-banking associate (M&A, underwriting), BTW. Not that it matters. When I was in grad school, nobody would have foreseen AirBnB, Uber and fintech. These business models were never included in the case studies, nor were such companies recruiting on campus. Who is to say that what GTECH is doing is not an emerging sector in itself?

Quote:
Chelsea Clinton has degrees from Stanford and Columbia, and I doubt the child of a former President would attend a $7,000 dollar online masters program. Elite universities make money off their elite status. Not that I am saying that everyone who goes to an Ivy League comes from that kind of background, but that's really the kind of background those universities are for, and it's how they attract people in general.

Nor do majority of NYU, Columbia, Fordham students have the same background as Chelsea. To repeat my point - If you do a tally of majority of NYC students (grad/undergrad), they are not like Stanford computer science, Columbia law, Einstein med students.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 10-06-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 02:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,322,752 times
All depends on how well they can code afterwards. I would think that this degree would be tailored for those that did not have a bachelors in computer science. Right now I'd think that GT churns out more ready-to-go programmers right after university than any school around here. SUNY Stony Brook might have them beat, particularly in java, but thats way out on Long Island.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All depends on how well they can code afterwards. I would think that this degree would be tailored for those that did not have a bachelors in computer science. Right now I'd think that GT churns out more ready-to-go programmers right after university than any school around here. SUNY Stony Brook might have them beat, particularly in java, but thats way out on Long Island.

The GTECH program is a masters degree so presumably a bachelors is required.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:01 PM

I highly doubt that the aristocratic children of this nation (like Chelsea) have any interest in studying Computer Science anyway.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The GTECH program is a masters degree so presumably a bachelors is required.
I was saying that they likely will have a bachelors in other subjects such as in engineering or mathematics. Fields in which you need to have a knowledge base in discrete math and logic.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I was saying that they likely will have a bachelors in other subjects such as in engineering or mathematics. Fields in which you need to have a knowledge base in discrete math and logic.

Well here is what the admissions page is saying:

https://www.omscs.gatech.edu/program...ssion-criteria

"Preferred qualifications for admitted OMS CS students are an undergraduate degree in computer science or related field (typically mathematics, computer engineering or electrical engineering) from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants who do not meet these criteria will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis; however, work experience will not take the place of an undergraduate degree."

Old 10-06-2016, 03:14 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,093 times
GT has a really strong CS department, but I don't think this trend will have that much of an impact on NYC schools.

Applicants considering attending NYC universities are likely drawn by the city as much as they're drawn by the academics.

I would think that universities in much less popular cities and towns would be affected by a shift to location-independent classes more than someplace like NYC.

(Insert Dartmouth joke here)

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Applicants considering attending NYC universities are likely drawn by the city as much as they're drawn by the academics.

Without a doubt many will want to study in NYC, but (in case nobody else has wondered), will they still be willing to pay >$50K/year in tuition plus inflation and go into debt for it? Or will NYU et al be forced to reduce their tuitions and drastically cut costs (meaning lower wages for employees) to keep attracting students? Majority of NYC university students, who are not from NYC, are not Chelsea Clinton, or Columbia law/med, NYU Tisch, etc. Maybe more typical profile is NYU Stern/Fordham Gabelli undergrad/MBA.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 10-06-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City