Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:13 PM

738 posts, read 585,878 times

Advertisements

I was at the 3rd Street men's homeless shelter. I went on a job interview that went very well. I was at the "when can you start?" point.

Then, I get back to the damn shelter, and find out that I was being transferred the next day. This had been looming for some days. I kept trying to appeal but no one could see me. I kept hearing "it's postponed indefinately." Then, boom. No appeal. No Internet e-mail back to the prospective employer. Goodbye job.

I had some other prospects but, for some reason understandable only to them, they could not find a 50 cent disposable razor. After asking about 14 times and hearing how they "can't find it" I said "what can you find? Your ass in the dark with both hands? Doubt it". They threatened me with the police, cause that was "harassment."

Now, I'm stranded out in the wilds of Bushwick, in Brooklyn. Fine if you like it, but no offense, I don't. Not my place. I pick up cans and bottles for money and it's terrible for that. Today I walked all the way from there to here (34th/Mad; about 6 miles) and I'm going back up to Bryant Park, soon, to pick up a few more. I make 10 bucks a day, max.

I'm 57 years old. I am trying my ass off to find work. It is either "overqualified" "underqualified" or "too old" which of course they can't say, but it's obvious. They all seem to want some 30 year old. I'll take 10 bucks an hour. I'll take minimum. I'll take anything.

If you look at today's NYT, there's an article about how they treat disabled people. There's a lady with a 3 year old kid who has MS and can hardly walk. Her husband died and she got evicted as a result. The DHS swine are completely unsympathetic. They keep insisting that she "sign in for her bed on time" (another of their charming idiocies) even though it's agony for her to move.

A bunch of these people need to be fired. I think I'm going to write a piece for the WSJ about how the taxpayer is being reamed by these "helpers" who don't help. but hurt. I have not given up, no way, but these ninnies seem to be getting paid to get in the way. I worked and paid taxes in this damn country for some 35 years; now I'm caught in this evil social service washing machine. Been in it for 16 months. Agghh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Maybe you need to make several versions of your resume.
For the ones your over qualified for you need to "dumb down" your resume.
For the ones that you aren't yet qualified for, you need to amp your resume.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Maybe you need to make several versions of your resume.
For the ones your over qualified for you need to "dumb down" your resume.
For the ones that you aren't yet qualified for, you need to amp your resume.
I've done all that. Gotten some interviews but no luck yet.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I've done all that. Gotten some interviews but no luck yet.
Keep at it. I know its hard but something will happen for you. Someone will see that determination in your eyes.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,399 times
apply for ssi/disability

best show to get some $

good luck. its really hard to get a job period.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
I was at the 3rd Street men's homeless shelter. I went on a job interview that went very well. I was at the "when can you start?" point.

Then, I get back to the damn shelter, and find out that I was being transferred the next day. This had been looming for some days. I kept trying to appeal but no one could see me. I kept hearing "it's postponed indefinately." Then, boom. No appeal. No Internet e-mail back to the prospective employer. Goodbye job.

I had some other prospects but, for some reason understandable only to them, they could not find a 50 cent disposable razor. After asking about 14 times and hearing how they "can't find it" I said "what can you find? Your ass in the dark with both hands? Doubt it". They threatened me with the police, cause that was "harassment."

Now, I'm stranded out in the wilds of Bushwick, in Brooklyn. Fine if you like it, but no offense, I don't. Not my place. I pick up cans and bottles for money and it's terrible for that. Today I walked all the way from there to here (34th/Mad; about 6 miles) and I'm going back up to Bryant Park, soon, to pick up a few more. I make 10 bucks a day, max.

I'm 57 years old. I am trying my ass off to find work. It is either "overqualified" "underqualified" or "too old" which of course they can't say, but it's obvious. They all seem to want some 30 year old. I'll take 10 bucks an hour. I'll take minimum. I'll take anything.

A bunch of these people need to be fired. I think I'm going to write a piece for the WSJ about how the taxpayer is being reamed by these "helpers" who don't help. but hurt. I have not given up, no way, but these ninnies seem to be getting paid to get in the way. I worked and paid taxes in this damn country for some 35 years; now I'm caught in this evil social service washing machine. Been in it for 16 months. Agghh.
I don't fully understand , but did the social service provider set you up with the interview that was going well. Are you saying they informed the job that they were transferring you and that cost you the offer? That they sabotaged you?

As for writing an article about this disaster, I think you should write more than one article and contact as many media outlets as you can to see who will publish it.

It's important people know what a disaster social services really is. A lot of people think all someone has to do with apply for welfare and that then they are going to get all this money and all this stuff for free. The reality is aside from ****ty shelters it's really hard to get work, and employers RARELY use these programs to find workers. In order to justify government funding they to make sure they have bodies coming in, so they can get their social security numbers. It's horrible what you're going through man.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
apply for ssi/disability

best show to get some $

good luck. its really hard to get a job period.

But I'm not disabled. I'm perfectly capable of working.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't fully understand , but did the social service provider set you up with the interview that was going well. Are you saying they informed the job that they were transferring you and that cost you the offer? That they sabotaged you?

As for writing an article about this disaster, I think you should write more than one article and contact as many media outlets as you can to see who will publish it.

It's important people know what a disaster social services really is. A lot of people think all someone has to do with apply for welfare and that then they are going to get all this money and all this stuff for free. The reality is aside from ****ty shelters it's really hard to get work, and employers RARELY use these programs to find workers. In order to justify government funding they to make sure they have bodies coming in, so they can get their social security numbers. It's horrible what you're going through man.

Thanks for your sympathetic words.

No, they didn't set me up with anything. I got the lead through Craigslist.

This transfer was just horribly timed. If it could have been pushed back a week I'd be working tomorrow. They were not in the least sympathetic. They blather on about having an Independent Living Plan, but their actions show that they are not serious. They're civil service twits whose only interest is keeping their jobs.

As for benefits, I get $190 in food stamps every month or so, and $45 in cash, which doesn't go very far in this burg. I make more cash picking up cans and bottles.

I'm going to get dressed up tomorrow and go pound the pavement.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:

This transfer was just horribly timed. If it could have been pushed back a week I'd be working tomorrow. They were not in the least sympathetic. They blather on about having an Independent Living Plan, but their actions show that they are not serious. They're civil service twits whose only interest is keeping their jobs.

As for benefits, I get $190 in food stamps every month or so, and $45 in cash, which doesn't go very far in this burg. I make more cash picking up cans and bottles.

So why couldn't you just go to work and simply commute from wherever they transferred you to?

The people in the system are always going to be jerks, but you cannot let them ********* over. If you get a new job regardless of where they transfer you find away to get there until you have enough money saved up to rent a place.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm trying to follow the story too. You got transferred to another shelter? How did your transfer end up costing you the job?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City