Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 26,732 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting school in Manhattan (midtown) this fall so we are looking to move to the area this summer. We would like to stay within a 45 minute commute and are hoping to spend under 350K on a 2-3 bedroom house/condo in a decent area. We don't have any kids so we're not worried about schools but would prefer a reasonably safe environment and are wondering if anyone could tell us which cities or neighborhoods woud be our best options. We appreciate any advice you could give us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM

44 posts, read 252,126 times
You want to buy a 2-3 bedroom condo/house in a decent area w/in 45 minutes of Midtown for $350K? Have you researched this at all? I don't believe it can be done. Budget closer to $500K and you might get a 1 bedroom!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 PM

510 posts, read 2,244,098 times
Not true Morningside_Gal. 2 bedrooms are available in areas like Forest Hills and many other places in Queens. Forest Hills is especially nice with many high-end shops lining Austin St. You could also look in areas like Bay Ridge, Jackson Heights, and plenty of others in the outer boroughs. There are not a TON of places but they are out there and with roughly $350k it is doable. She is not talking about Manhattan. Don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirl_11 View Post
My husband is starting school in Manhattan (midtown) this fall so we are looking to move to the area this summer. We would like to stay within a 45 minute commute and are hoping to spend under 350K on a 2-3 bedroom house/condo in a decent area. We don't have any kids so we're not worried about schools but would prefer a reasonably safe environment and are wondering if anyone could tell us which cities or neighborhoods woud be our best options. We appreciate any advice you could give us. Thanks!
Do you prefer to be in the city or in a more suburban locale? There are plenty of places in the suburbs that can be reached within 45 minutes from Penn Station or Grand Central, and areas in the outer boroughs that are within 45 minutes or so by subway. Which is your preference?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM

757 posts, read 3,364,003 times
Why don't you get a short-term sublet, so you can poke around and learn a little bit about the neighborhoods before you start thinking about making such a huge commitment right away?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Do you prefer to be in the city or in a more suburban locale? There are plenty of places in the suburbs that can be reached within 45 minutes from Penn Station or Grand Central, and areas in the outer boroughs that are within 45 minutes or so by subway. Which is your preference?
We could go either way. As long as we're in a fairly decent area we'll be happy. A lot of people have told us to look across the river in NJ but I thought I'd see what was available on the NY side as well.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Why don't you get a short-term sublet, so you can poke around and learn a little bit about the neighborhoods before you start thinking about making such a huge commitment right away?
We're heading out there for a few weeks in May to look at places but we really don't have a lot of time so I'd like to narrow our search as much as possible. Also, the circumstances are such that it just wouldn't be possible to move again any time soon. All we really need is to find a place we can tolerate and hopefully enjoy for the next 4 years.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Condos are much more unusual than coops in Brooklyn and Queens, but it is possible to find them. Here is one listed for $369K in Sunnyside Queens, but it's a one bedroom. 1 BR OPEN HOUSE (broken link)

There are definitely purchase opportunities in the boroughs for 350K, however, I suspect it will be coop and not condo. If you don't know what this means, you could try doing a search for threads on this board as the topic has recently been discussed. 350K will get you a nice large 2 bedroom COOP in Jackson Heights, Queens but a condo will easily be 100K more.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
NYC real estate is incredibly complicated. You should rent here before you buy. How much can you afford in maintenance in addition to your mortgage?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,567 times
for your price range and other criteria, you really should look into brooklyn and queens if you want to stay in nyc proper (as others have already mentioned) and northeastern nj if you want something more suburban.

i seriously think you'd get much better bang for the buck in northern nj. the northeastern part of the state is closer to midtown/downtown manhattan than any other of nyc's suburbs. plenty of nice towns, with many having good mass transit access to the city (there are also many towns with lousy mass transit).

i also think the burbs won't be as much of a culture shock if you're not used to living in a city as urban as nyc. while many people from all sorts of backgrounds have no problem adjusting to manhattan these days - it's so much cleaner, safer, mainstream, and less intimidating than it used to be back in the day - the outer boroughs are another story. sure, there are some clean, safe yuppie neighborhoods in the outer boroughs such as brooklyn heights, but they come with a major price tag. at the price you're seeking, chances are you're going to be pushed out into some areas of the outer boroughs that may be too seedy-looking for your tastes, or at least too far from manhattan.

i do agree with an earlier poster to look into a place like forest hills, though - it might be one of the only "nice" and "name-brand" places in the outer boroughs that's not terribly far from midtown/downtown and has excellent subway/commuter train access.

another thing: while there are tons of co-op buildings in nyc proper (including the outer boroughs), they're relatively rare in nj. i have no idea why this is, but it's something to keep in mind. for this and other reasons, you can probably get much more for your dollar with condos in nj than in the boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City