Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 779 times

Advertisements

Today 1/11/2016, my family member let a DOB inspector enter her home to inspect the basement apartment they had (someone reported the unit).

It was considered an illegal apartment conversion.

Here's what I do know about the house/apartment:

The home was purchased around 1986 and it already had the converted basement. My family did not ever pay to have the basement apartment converted/created - it was always there.

The person living in the apartment is a family member, she was not collecting rent from them.

The 'apartment' consists of one bedroom, an open space with the living room and kitchen - the kitchen is fully equipped with stove, fridge, sink. The bathroom has a toilet, sink and shower.

The family member let the building inspector see the rest of the basement and they found out that a water heater was changed out/there were home upgrades without a permit.

I want to know what my family member needs to do going forward. What they will be responsible for in terms of fines/related court stuff. Do they need to get a lawyer? Should they try to make the apartment legal or is it more financially sensible to just convert it back to a regular basement? What else can they expect or what should they do to be prepared for whatever storm is coming?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City