Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Since we're already on tear regarding medical care, race, and so forth.....

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/170209962
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Not surprising. Take away everything else and see the locations of some of the city hospitals.

And when my MIL didn't have insurance, off to the city hospital she went.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:19 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
NYC public hospitals do not span the 5 Boros as the article claims.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

While S.I. no longer has a full service general municipal hospital, Seaview has been partially reopened and HHC runs a long term brain injury/rehab facility there, HHC police even patrol the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaview_Hospital

Sea View Hospital Rehabilitation Center and Home in Staten Island, NY | US News Nursing Homes

Old 03-05-2017, 05:37 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Huh. I suspect the fact that the borough with the highest median income, and probably the fewest minority or poor patients doesn't actually have a public hospital goes against their other conclusions and thus is conveniently ignored. I haven't read the full study (and probably won't), but even this article lists some significant limitations to the methodology. Offhand, it would appear that the issues are far more complex than the simplistic conclusions offered as a headline.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Huh. I suspect the fact that the borough with the highest median income, and probably the fewest minority or poor patients doesn't actually have a public hospital goes against their other conclusions and thus is conveniently ignored. I haven't read the full study (and probably won't), but even this article lists some significant limitations to the methodology. Offhand, it would appear that the issues are far more complex than the simplistic conclusions offered as a headline.

Cannot speak to the balance of your post but off the bat income, ethnic demographics and whatever other factors you mentioned have nothing to do with why there isn't a municipal hospital on the Rock.

In the past SI had several hospitals

Doctors Hospital: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor...(Staten_Island)

Staten Island Hospital: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten...rsity_Hospital

Richmond Memorial Hospital: Richmond Memorial Hospital a South Shore anchor | SILive.com

Saint Vincent's Medical Center of Richmond
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo...Medical_Center

United States Public Health Hospital (later became Baley Seton):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayley_Seton_Hospital

Seaview Hospital and Home: Exclusive: A look inside the former Sea View Hospital | SILive.com

And a few more: Staten Island once had an abundance of hospitals | SILive.com

Links tell the basic stories of how each hospital closed, merged, or whatever.

Saint Vincent's and later Bayley Seton (after the nuns bought it), served mostly the North Shore population *and* keeping to the mission of the order of nuns, provided charity care. As the North Shore began to "decline" including much of West Brighton, Port Richmond, Mariners Harbor, etc.... that role grew as you had more and more poor and or under or uninsured. When Saint Vincent's of Richmond was in deep financial woes and going to close, no other NYC hospital would touch the place. Bayonne Hospital (itself in deep fiscal woes) bought the place, otherwise it would have closed.

Bayonne hospital, with Island ties, facing closure | SILive.com

Richmond University Medical Center: The successor to St. Vincent's in West Brighton | SILive.com

When SI hospital moved from the North to South Shore it left only USPS and Saint Vincent's. The latter as with the other Catholic hospitals in NYC was a "safety net/charity hospital". Which is all well and good but doesn't often pay the bills.

You want to talk about segregation in hospitals? There is not a small population on the Rock that would rather die than set foot in Richmond University Medical Center. This from people who live on the North or East Shore where by default RUMC is the closest facility in an emergency. The SIE is the usual dividing line between if you'll be sent to RUMC or one of the SIUH facilities on the south shore.

Long story short SI doe not need a municipal or any other hospital. It does perhaps need to move or create some beds or whatever on the west shore or near. Back in the day when traffic was much less than today you could get across Richmond Terrance, Forest Avenue, Castleton Avenue or Victory Blvd from far west as Mariner's Harbor or Arlington, now that often isn't the case. Yet there is no other choice since all hospitals are located either in West Brighton or on the South Shore.

For the record NYC's HHC is swimming in red ink, and things do not look to be getting better anytime soon. So if anything look to the City sooner or later to close places down, not open new hospitals.

Head of NYC

Old 03-05-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Not surprising. Take away everything else and see the locations of some of the city hospitals.

And when my MIL didn't have insurance, off to the city hospital she went.

Don't know how true this is, but am hearing if you are on Medicare or Medicaid and call for an ambulance in Manhattan there is a good chance you'll end up at Bellevue or Metropolitan.

With Beth Israel closing and Saint Vincent's long gone people are being moved around Manhattan like chess pieces. The ER you go to may not be the hospital you are admitted to, not at all. All night and almost every night see ambulances with sirens blaring making their way uptown along Madison, Park, or Third Avenues. Asked a friend who is a nurse at Lenox Hill and she said it was "patient transfers". Moving people from ERs down town to beds in hospitals elsewhere so they can be admitted.

Do know HHC is straining fiscally because of all the care provided to illegal and other immigrants who do not have insurance and aren't eligible for Medicaid or Medicare.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,637 times
Apparently I've given you too much rep BugsyPal, but thanks for the great post. I don't know a lot about that end of it, although I do have a kid employed on the floor at SIUH so I hear about it from that angle.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Huh?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Since we're already on tear regarding medical care, race, and so forth.....

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/170209962

If you want to see the truth of that assertion, just walk up Second Avenue past the entrance to Metropolitan Hospital between 97th and 98th to judge the clientele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City