Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times

Advertisements

Rejoice

UPPER WEST SIDE — Trader Joe’s is moving on up.
The supermarket chain plans to open a new location farther north on the Upper West Side, company spokeswomn Alison Mochizuki said.
The California-based grocery store signed a lease for the ground floor and lower level of 670 Columbus Ave., at the southwest corner of West 93rd Street, Mochizuki said in a statement Monday.
The store will be the chain's second outpost in the neighborhood, alongside one at West 72nd Street and Broadway.
The new branch is expected to open within the first six months of 2017 and will be approximately 12,100 square feet.
This is not the only new Trader Joe’s on the city's horizon.
The chain is expected to open a new branch in Kips Bay this summer, and there are talks of it opening another outpost on East 14th Street between Avenues A and B.
The announcement came weeks after Fairway, an Upper West Side grocery store staple, filed for bankruptcy on May 2.
This new Trader Joe's location will compete with a Whole Foods four blocks north on West 97th Street.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...pper-west-side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 02:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Rejoice

UPPER WEST SIDE — Trader Joe’s is moving on up.
The supermarket chain plans to open a new location farther north on the Upper West Side, company spokeswomn Alison Mochizuki said.
The California-based grocery store signed a lease for the ground floor and lower level of 670 Columbus Ave., at the southwest corner of West 93rd Street, Mochizuki said in a statement Monday.
The store will be the chain's second outpost in the neighborhood, alongside one at West 72nd Street and Broadway.
The new branch is expected to open within the first six months of 2017 and will be approximately 12,100 square feet.
This is not the only new Trader Joe’s on the city's horizon.
The chain is expected to open a new branch in Kips Bay this summer, and there are talks of it opening another outpost on East 14th Street between Avenues A and B.
The announcement came weeks after Fairway, an Upper West Side grocery store staple, filed for bankruptcy on May 2.
This new Trader Joe's location will compete with a Whole Foods four blocks north on West 97th Street.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...pper-west-side
Will the Alphabet City location be the closest Trader Joes to a major NYCHA development?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:08 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Will the Alphabet City location be the closest Trader Joes to a major NYCHA development?
No. The upcoming alphabet city location will be across the street from PC/ST, and they are not NYCHA owned and operated

Old 06-03-2016, 02:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
No. The upcoming alphabet city location will be across the street from PC/ST, and they are not NYCHA owned and operated
I was referring to the Jacob Riis houses which are 3 blocks away

Old 06-03-2016, 03:00 AM

14 posts, read 14,741 times
Anyone else love TJ's? 2x a month a will wait in line and lug groceries from Union Square to Bushwick. To me it is worth it for fresh produce. I can buy organic stuff for the same cost as key food regular supplies plus stuff you can't find anywhere else IE: concentrated cold brew which costs me $7 and lasts 2 cups of great cold brew/day for a month.

I could go to Costco 1x a month but doesn't seem worth it.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc33333 View Post
Anyone else love TJ's? 2x a month a will wait in line and lug groceries from Union Square to Bushwick. To me it is worth it for fresh produce. I can buy organic stuff for the same cost as key food regular supplies plus stuff you can't find anywhere else IE: concentrated cold brew which costs me $7 and lasts 2 cups of great cold brew/day for a month.

I could go to Costco 1x a month but doesn't seem worth it.
Believe they are also opening a Trader Joe on Kent ave in Williamsburg for a closer option to you. You also have the one on the Glendale/Forest Hills border, but if you don't drive you'd have to take the bus.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 AM

436 posts, read 565,366 times
They're also putting one at 3rd and 32nd in Murray Hill. It's too bad I don't work in that area anymore.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
The West 93rd St. TJ's will be handy for me. My route home often involves the M96 Crosstown for Broadway( 1,2, or 3 trains) or CPW (C train). A short walk to TJ's and then back to 96th and no danger of melting food. I like their frozen Shepherd's Pie.

Instead of a second store on the UWS, I wish they'd have considered the UES (like maybe the old Food Emporium site on 86th and Second.)

Old 06-03-2016, 06:50 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,577,379 times
It is odd that the Upoer East Side is Trader Joe's free as of now.

I'm really happy about the new East 14th location because it is close to me and might ease the crowding in the Union Square location.

And I bet the new Murray Hill store will do very well. That one should be opening this summer.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 AM

443 posts, read 438,227 times
I've never shopped at TJ's so I'm excited that I'll have one in walking distance. The Murray Hill location - where's that site? Is it where the old Food Emporium (I think that's what it was...?) was located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City