Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,961,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
EZ-pass was dumb from day one. There is already a system ( not tokens ) in place that is similar to EZ-pass that does not require credit/debit cards. However EZ-pass will still be around as it is the faster system.

If I can cross the booth without having to use any electronic device and get a fine in the mail we would not have to worry about EZ-pass or tokens.

Leave the consumer alone and do not force them to do extra work on the side just to pay for a toll.
Maybe that works in bridges, but if you are on the NYS Thruway and drive through a toll booth without paying they bill you from the farthest away exit because they have no way of knowing where you got on. Sucks to go from Exit 25 to 24, which is only a 5 mile distance and costs 40 cents, yet get billed like you got on from the PA State line. That's a $16.00 toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 01:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
they did have out there special clear license plate covers that could obscure a red light photograph using some lens trickery in the plastic cover. I looked into it back in the early 2000's after I got a red light camera ticket in the mail and everybody was pissed about them in general. I don't know if that would work with these newer systems. If they can grab actual video of your car moving under the sensors I'm guessing it wouldn't.

They have acknowledged that some tolls will go uncollected doing it this way, but have weighed the pros and cons and figure it's still a net winner I guess.
NY lawmakers look to put the lid on license plate cover sales - Times Union

Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,544,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Maybe that works in bridges, but if you are on the NYS Thruway and drive through a toll booth without paying they bill you from the farthest away exit because they have no way of knowing where you got on. Sucks to go from Exit 25 to 24, which is only a 5 mile distance and costs 40 cents, yet get billed like you got on from the PA State line. That's a $16.00 toll.
You may be surprised to see how often then pull that scam when you have an EZPass on your windshield. This used to happen to me every month - I would go exit 17 to 19 and get billed to Buffalo. Amazing that they are always able to record your entrance, but have a >50% failure rate on recording your exit. Their accuracy seemed to get much better when I caught these errors six or seven months in a row.

I don't believe they are unable to bill correctly. I believe it is a deliberate intent to grab a few extra dollars from people who don't examine their bill closely.

Don't get me started on the mis-billing for trailers. Seems every tollbooth records a different (wrong) classification. Those are fights you cannot win - EZPass denies the claim, sometimes for the most absurd reasons, and you are stuck paying extra $10-20 for the crossing. I've come to accept it is simply another penalty tax for living in this area.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,544,370 times
So typical. Rather than enforce a long existing law, they want to create another law they won't/can't enforce. You would think legislators get paid by the word.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 59,153 times
They should also do something about those who purposely vandalize their own plates to affect read. I've seen plates bleached off, scratched/bent, etc..

Old 08-23-2017, 04:54 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
^
There's always Amazon. There'll always be on line places to order these.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,738,706 times
So they took away the toll booths on the Triboro bridge

Result? MORE traffic.

It did nothing to help congestion. It used to be the morons with no EZ Pass tags were lined up in the right lines while you could zip by them on the left. That is no more, now all the morons are clogging all the lanes and it takes much longer to get through

Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 PM

615 posts, read 449,394 times
I recently drove past the Whitestone Bridge tolls, and there were four (!) ez-pass lanes to my left with the gates down...all said "low balance". What a back-up! These cashless tolls are better, IMHO.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,770,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
I recently drove past the Whitestone Bridge tolls, and there were four (!) ez-pass lanes to my left with the gates down...all said "low balance". What a back-up! These cashless tolls are better, IMHO.
The Whitestone and TN are currently under construction to do away with toll booths.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,918,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
The Whitestone and TN are currently under construction to do away with toll booths.
God, I wish it would hurry up. Both bridges are more of a nightmare than usual on weekends. I started taking the TriBoro again when I go to my mom's on Sundays because it would take me an hour to get over the Whitestone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City