Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 PM

983 posts, read 931,103 times

Advertisements

I live in East Harlem but I want to move somewhere near the 1 train for a less frustrating commute to CCNY (and hopefully paying less rent too). I can't afford to live in Morningside Heights and I probably can't afford to live in the less noisy parts of Washington Heights or Inwood (west of broadway). I was thinking of going to Kingsbridge near the last couple of stops on the 1 train (I'm not sure about east of the train vs west of it...) Does anybody on this forum live in that area? How's the safety, cleanliness, noise situation, grocery stores etc? I don't care too much about restaurants or clubs or fashion or anything, but the day-to-day living stuff is important to me.

I was also thinking about being in Riverdale since, for a "nice" neighborhood, the rents aren't THAT high, but I am going to be taking the 1 train every day and I am wondering how long and reliable the bus is from Riverdale to basically any 1 train stop. I don't know exactly where I'd be in Riverdale but the bus I'd take is probably the bx7.

If anyone here lives along the 1 train in far uptown manhattan or the bronx, I'd be interested to know your experience with the neighborhoods near it + commuting. For me I am commuting to 137th street, so I don't care if the 1 train gets super busy in midtown or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 AM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
Well the home-grown marijuana business is exploding over there.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Unless you live walking distance to a stop, you'll have to deal with the dreaded bus system.

Many parts of Kingsbridge are legit ghetto.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
The 1 train is super reliable, though.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:52 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
You've got Garden Gourmet, probably the best grocery store north of Fairway in Harlem. Close to Van Cortland Park. The feng shui of that area isn't the most exciting though. You should check out the neighborhoods a little farther east, up the hill towards the reservoir. There are some beautiful buildings and well-maintained side streets up there with great views, and you're still close to all the Kingsbridge shopping and transit.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM

107 posts, read 219,257 times
West of Broadway isn't ghetto at all. East is questionable but not really that bad if you live in the city.

Arguably the safest area in the entire Bronx under the 50th pct. Greatest selection of restaurants, best Park in the Bronx, family oriented, etc.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Also it is quiet at night. I actually hear crickets and last week I saw a skunk walking down the block (5am)

Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
West of Broadway north of Marble Hills still is nice, I head up there from time to time. Live near Broadway and you're golden, just not underneath the tracks haha.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
You've got Garden Gourmet, probably the best grocery store north of Fairway in Harlem. Close to Van Cortland Park. The feng shui of that area isn't the most exciting though. You should check out the neighborhoods a little farther east, up the hill towards the reservoir. There are some beautiful buildings and well-maintained side streets up there with great views, and you're still close to all the Kingsbridge shopping and transit.
Garden Gourmet is way overhyped imo.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Garden Gourmet is way overhyped imo.
They do have an amazing selection of cheese through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City