Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,149 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Brooklyn from Canada to begin medical school at SUNY Downstate. Any recommendations for neighborhoods within a reasonable commute to Downstate (20 - 25 min by public transport) that would also be safe for a female in her early 20's? My budget is around $1600 month for my share, prefer a 2 bedroom (though I don't have a roommate yet!) I would consider a 1 bedroom or studio, if necessary, but prefer to have a roommate. I will not have a car.

I am open to all suggestions! Though I suspect I won't have tons of free time, I would like a lively area, preferably artsy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
I would stay right there in the community - Prospect Lefferts Gardens. I know of several new buildings that are occupied by many students from Downstate. I not sure if there are any vacancies but could always give you the addresses. I know a lot of people at Downstate

Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 AM

Bullandre, would love the addresses! Thanks

Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
The medical center itself is situated on the border of Prospect Lefferts and East Flatbush, which is really not a nice place to live. I'm sure many students live there for convenience, but you can find a safer and more interesting place to leave.

I would look in Prospect Heights if you want roomates. You can get to Downstate in 25 mins from there, or in 10 mins if you take an Uber/Lyft. Its a much nicer area. If you want to save some money or live in your own studio or 1 Bedroom, you can also look in Ditmas Park, which is a relatively affordable and sort of "hip" area with some nice prewar buildings.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Since you're new to the city, then it might make good sense for you to look at Prospect Heights and Crown Heights near subway stations that serve the 2 or 5 train as that's the line that serves SUNY downstate at the Winthrop station.

The basic gist of it is that the closer you are to Manhattan, the nicer it is along the respective subway stations of a line, so take a look around on Google Maps to situate yourself. It's a general rule, so generally holds true. In your case, the nicest Prospect Heights/Crown Heights areas near the subway stops of the 2 or 5 are those around Bergen St, Grand Army Plaza, Eastern Parkway and Franklin Av are probably the best options to consider and 1600 for a roommate is a good amount. Going down one more station to President Street also isn't bad and is substantially cheaper, but also markedly less bougie.

If you think you'd chafe at the idea of taking the subway commute and really want to walk or take a bus instead, then the Prospect Lefferts Garden neighborhood can work, but it's advisable to live closer towards Prospect Park itself and west of Bedford Avenue.

Also, are you new to living in urban cities completely?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Thank you everyone for all of the very helpful advice! Not new to urban cities, just to NY!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,788 times
Hi!!

I too will be attending SUNY Downstate this Fall. I am looking for a roommate if you're still interested and want to chat somewhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City