Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

""Today we are taking another major step forward by announcing that we will be installing security cameras in Great Kills in an effort to make the area safer for business owners and patrons alike," said Gary Fleming, president of the South Shore BID at a press conference outside of the Amalgamated Transit Union Building in Great Kills on Monday."

Security cameras coming to South Shore business strip | SILive.com

The Island I know/knew was as safe as any desirable suburb of NYC.

Is the demographic on the Island changing so rapidly, as to be composed primarily of low class whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Wrong forum...

Old 12-14-2016, 12:38 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
""Today we are taking another major step forward by announcing that we will be installing security cameras in Great Kills in an effort to make the area safer for business owners and patrons alike," said Gary Fleming, president of the South Shore BID at a press conference outside of the Amalgamated Transit Union Building in Great Kills on Monday."

Security cameras coming to South Shore business strip | SILive.com

The Island I know/knew was as safe as any desirable suburb of NYC.

Is the demographic on the Island changing so rapidly, as to be composed primarily of low class whites?

I have to tell you?

Cops seek suspects in 2 New Springville store robberies | SILive.com

South Shore man admits to beating his 87-year-old grandfather over cash | SILive.com

Police respond to home invasion in Great Kills | SILive.com

NYPD search on South Shore; report of burglary | SILive.com

Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Heroin is ravaging that part of Staten Island. The town of Great Kills is becoming third world like.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM

I realize that crime has increased, which is why I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Heroin is ravaging that part of Staten Island. The town of Great Kills is becoming third world like.
Wow.

The recent spikes in crime are directly linked to drug use, and little else? In other words, have the middle class demographic held still on the Island, or have a good many families left?

Old 12-14-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Wow.

The recent spikes in crime are directly linked to drug use, and little else? In other words, have the middle class demographic held still on the Island, or have a good many families left?

Isn't just drugs, though that is a large part of things.

The Rock is going downhill and fast; it is quickly becoming just another urban jungle like parts of Brooklyn and Queens.

You've got tons of homeless on both North, South, East, and West Shores. Lots of unemployment and dead beats around.

You don't know who lives on your street because everyone and their mother is renting out illegal apartments.

People keep coming out to SI because "it's so nice out here", and they (and or their kids) bring the same sh**t with them from Brooklyn, Queens or whatever that they were trying to "escape".

Your seeing pretty much the same thing happening to Staten Island as part of the Poconos, PA, another once rural/suburban place that saw huge influxes of "City" residents.

Back in the day if you saw someone looking suspect on your street you could make a phone call; now the NYPD under this current mayor is so worried about "equality" it takes more than that to get a response.

Forget about the days of leaving your doors unlocked, that ship has sailed. Everybody has not only locks, but cameras and alarm systems.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Wow.

Again while not all but a significant amount of crime on the Rock is related to drugs:

Lunch-hour robbery spree suspect held on $1M bail | SILive.com

Cops: Stapleton man busted with heroin, marijuana | SILive.com

Fake cop charged with real crimes | SILive.com

Hat-changing bank robber arrested after NYC robbery attempt - NY Daily News

Elderly doctor, wife charged in $77M ‘pill mill’ | New York Post

Physician assistant sentenced to 11 years for running 'pill mill' out of Huguenot practice | SILive.com

And so it goes....

For all the stuff that makes local SI or greater NYC news there is more; much more you don't hear about unless you know the family/people involved.

Parents, grandparents, and other family members are being robbed blind by their own who sell the stuff for drug money. So called "respectable" middle class housewives are stealing script pads from their employers (medical offices).

Everyone likes to point the finger (in particular on the South Shore) at North Shore and the "animals" who live "over there", meanwhile drugs are all over that part of the Rock. It is only because so many "respectable" persons are being arrested and or (sadly) kids and young adults are dying of OD's that people got their heads out of the sand.

But then again having lived on the Rock you know the deal; everybody minds their own business, and nobody says anything.... That is until you come home and find that "nice" kid from next door jacking your house.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Isn't just drugs, though that is a large part of things.

The Rock is going downhill and fast; it is quickly becoming just another urban jungle like parts of Brooklyn and Queens.

You've got tons of homeless on both North, South, East, and West Shores. Lots of unemployment and dead beats around.

You don't know who lives on your street because everyone and their mother is renting out illegal apartments.

People keep coming out to SI because "it's so nice out here", and they (and or their kids) bring the same sh**t with them from Brooklyn, Queens or whatever that they were trying to "escape".

Your seeing pretty much the same thing happening to Staten Island as part of the Poconos, PA, another once rural/suburban place that saw huge influxes of "City" residents.

Back in the day if you saw someone looking suspect on your street you could make a phone call; now the NYPD under this current mayor is so worried about "equality" it takes more than that to get a response.

Forget about the days of leaving your doors unlocked, that ship has sailed. Everybody has not only locks, but cameras and alarm systems.
I saw a young girl panhandling by Arden ave and Drumgoole rd east. She was a young white woman. I have no idea what her sign said but it began with ladies and gentlemen.

The downfall of SI began 6 years ago after voters rejected Bloomberg's third term. We hate HATE Bigbird deBlasio and he continues to ignore us and pander to his liberal friends. He is in for a rude awakening come the election. The city is more worried about vision zero than fighting actual crime.

I have cameras, electronic deadbolts locks and a redundant alarm system in my home and it still didn't stop someone from swiping two packages off my steps. God forbid a person forgets to lock the car door and leave something in it of value it very well might be gone the next day.

We didn't have these issues when it was Guliani time or the first 6 years of Bloomberg's term when he actually cared about the city. I fully expected the city to down hill when Big bird was elected. My suspicions were confirmed when he was inaugurated and the key note speaker called NYC a plantation and not one person stood up and booed, not one person in the MSN cried foul. When you elect garbage you get the garbage that comes with it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I saw a young girl panhandling by Arden ave and Drumgoole rd east. She was a young white woman. I have no idea what her sign said but it began with ladies and gentlemen.

The downfall of SI began 6 years ago after voters rejected Bloomberg's third term. We hate HATE Bigbird deBlasio and he continues to ignore us and pander to his liberal friends. He is in for a rude awakening come the election. The city is more worried about vision zero than fighting actual crime.

I have cameras, electronic deadbolts locks and a redundant alarm system in my home and it still didn't stop someone from swiping two packages off my steps. God forbid a person forgets to lock the car door and leave something in it of value it very well might be gone the next day.

We didn't have these issues when it was Guliani time or the first 6 years of Bloomberg's term when he actually cared about the city. I fully expected the city to down hill when Big bird was elected. My suspicions were confirmed when he was inaugurated and the key note speaker called NYC a plantation and not one person stood up and booed, not one person in the MSN cried foul. When you elect garbage you get the garbage that comes with it.

Sometimes those cameras work! Stolen package returned to New Dorp Beach family | SILive.com

Would place the start of SI going down hill truly 50 or so years ago when that GD VNB was built.

The pace quickened by the 1980's and early 1990's with the building boom that is still going on today. All those GD two and four family apartment "townhouses" crammed more and more persons onto the Rock.

Little by little the once wonderful suburban/rural lifestyle of SI became more gritty and urban as the new arrivals brought things with them.

Am not saying things were perfect back in the day, far from it; but at least you didn't have to worry if you forgot to lock your doors about having to turn back and go home to make sure.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I suspected as much, and it's a shame.

I lived in Bay Terrace around 2000-2001, and sections of the Island were more a "small town" than many of the surrounding suburbs.

I have relatives on Long Island, and people are complaining about similar events over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City