Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,198,837 times

Advertisements

What say we create a comprehensive list of NYC microbreweries? Everyone likes good beer.

In the Bronx, we have

Gun Hill Brewery: this is my local brewery which Really got me into craft beer. Great selection a lot of really unique experimental beers. This winter hey had a cacao coconut stout. Now they have a lactose Double IPA. Great IPA and regular stout there, and they do growlers there. Highly recommend this place

Bronx Brewery: don't know to much about this one, only Bowen there once. Good selection, nice tasting room. Had an interesting summer pale ale which was light and citrusy but had that hoppy bite that you want as a IPA/Pale Ale drinker. Good beach beer for beer connesiuers

Please add your local breweries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,818 times
barf (literally)

Breweries = obnoxiously overpriced beer . no?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,932,107 times
Only one I know of in LES is Paulaner Brewery On Bowery. Might be some others around.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
barf (literally)

No actually much better than going to a traditional bar and getting a macro brew. I go to my local brewery and get a great pint of IPA on draft for $5 which is pretty reasonable for the quality. I was at some random Harlem bar last night and got a 12oz bottle of corona for $8. That makes me barf.

I guess it depends on the brewery however. I'm sure some Manhattan Brewery has obnoxious prices

Nonetheless the quality matters.

It's like comparing a McDonald's burger to a nice BBQ'd USDA prime burger. No comparison in quality

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,818 times
no clue what you mean

i must be dumb

Old 07-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
no clue what you mean

i must be dumb
Lol no your just probably not an alcoholic which is good thing

Old 07-29-2017, 09:47 PM

19,067 posts, read 13,999,119 times
My friend just opened one on SI:

Killsboro Brewery at the Crafthouse on Van Duzer. The restaurant is amazing, great BBQ. Haven't been since the brewery opened.

I used to be huge into beer, even homebrewed myself for about 10 years. I don't drink my beer now but when I do it is mostly craft. I've been to around 60 breweries and brewpubs over the years.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,879,995 times
LIC is the place to go for microbreweries. In the neighborhood there's 4 right now (5 if you stretch the borders a little bit) and soon to be another one within the next couple months.

1. Transmitter Brewery... Located under the Pulaski Bridge and by the Newtown Creek, the beer here is sold in wine bottles but they let you sample several kinds before purchasing. Seating is limited and a bit unconventional but worth a visit if you're a diehard beer fan.

2. Rockaway Brewery... A block away from Gantry Park on the river and across the street from the LIC Flea, this is probably the "destination" microbrewery of LIC. Good beer selection and a decent sized taproom that will be expanding soon make this place is a must-visit.

3. Big Alice Brewery... A few blocks south of Queensbridge, this microbrewery has the best variety of beers on tap in LIC in my opinion. If you don't drive, this will require a bit of a walk to get to but I still highly encourage checking it out.

4. LIC Beer Project... A few blocks east of Queensbridge, this microbrewery that opened in 2015 boasts the largest taproom in LIC with enough space to accommodate fairly large groups. They specialize in Belgian-style beers here and don't offer the quantity that their peers do, but still a nice place to check out.

5. ICONYC Brewing... Located in the LIC/Astoria gray area by Major World on Northern Blvd, this small taproom opened just a few months ago but boasts a great selection of beers, featuring several stouts and IPAs.

I've also heard good things about SingleCut which is deep in Astoria past Ditmars but I haven't checked it out myself yet.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times
In the Bushwick Ridgewood area we have Finback, Bridge and Tunnel, Queens Brewery, Braven, Kings Country Brewers, and the soon to come Evil Twin. This part of NYC has a long history of brewing, so makes sense it is coming back here once the laws were lifted.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
barf (literally)

Generally, beer sold in taprooms (the serving bar of microbreweries) is the same or cheaper than drinking at unaffiliated, regular bars. They have a higher profit margin and lower overhead, and are selling directly from source with no middlemen, so they can keep prices low.

Now once a microbrewery sells their beer to a distributor, which is mandatory by law, who then sells it on to unaffiliated bars, restaurants, and stores, the price jacks way up to a couple buck more per 6-pack than regular domestic and even imported mass market beers.

Source: was brewer and brewery manager in a microbrewery for over a decade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City