Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times

Advertisements

Even more, number 45 has said gays can be legally fired and we have no protections in the workforce.

And of course, conservatives on this forum have the nerve to attempt to lecture me on how conservatism is good for so called minorities. When their boy Jeff Sessions, a KKK sympathizer from Alabama is the attorney general (Sessions was denied a federal appointment by the Reagan administration because he said that he thought the KKK was cool until he found out they smoked weed).

Only a fool would think a Black, gay man is going to like people like that or support people like that. So if you're surprised to find out I don't, you need your IQ checked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 AM

19,099 posts, read 14,064,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he has lost my respect as a poster in other threads so i really do not read much of what he posts so i have no idea what this is about now but it can't be good . .
He’s basically blabbing about how it’s ok for him to hate people based on a few key factors that if we did the same, we’d be on the 5 o’clock news.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He’s basically blabbing about how it’s ok for him to hate people based on a few key factors that if we did the same, we’d be on the 5 o’clock news.
Oh get off yourself. Yes, it is okay to hate people if they are doing and supporting horrible things. Conservatives get off on destroying entire communities.

And yes, they do indeed say and do things and make the 5 o clock news. Trump ending regulations protection gays in the workforce was one of them. Among others I mentioned.

There's nothing I should like about your stance and your political views and your community and you know very well this is true.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM

One last thing. Some of you property owners have said far worse than I've said. You guys have basically said screw everyone who isn't a property owner, if they haven't bought when real estate was much cheaper or in some cases inherited from family, etc. That line of thinking is so selfish and absolutely horrible.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
I think the US just needs to make more cities more attractive.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:51 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,352,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do know what those people are like. You have plenty of examples of what those people are like on this forum, yourself included.

And yes, I have met middle class white New Yorker, and the vast majority of them I did not and do not like because we are simply too different. With nothing is common, there's really no point in even pretending to deal with them.

And what you cannot seem to understand is that there is no amount of MONEY than I can be offered that would make me want to deal with those people in ANY capacity. So being a developer is something I have completely no interest in.
Funny thing is that you come off as a white middle class millenial yourself. An obviously insecure one.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,644,221 times
I don't really understand why anyone would "need" to forclose since housing prices have gone up everywhere in the city. It's not like NYC owners are anywhere near underwater, so it would seem logical for someone to sell if they couldn't afford their home any longer.

Btw, I'm really surprised about NYwriterdude's change in attitude. The old NYWriterdude had a sort of f u attitude towards people getting priced out of NYC and showed a lot of disdain for poor people in general--definitely a free-market type. This concern about rent regulation, affordability and those of lesser means is really surprising. I can only assume the pinch of high housing prices are hitting home on a personal level.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM

32,016 posts, read 27,204,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would "need" to forclose since housing prices have gone up everywhere in the city. It's not like NYC owners are anywhere near underwater, so it would seem logical for someone to sell if they couldn't afford their home any longer.

Btw, I'm really surprised about NYwriterdude's change in attitude. The old NYWriterdude had a sort of f u attitude towards people getting priced out of NYC and showed a lot of disdain for poor people in general--definitely a free-market type. This concern about rent regulation, affordability and those of lesser means is really surprising. I can only assume the pinch of high housing prices are hitting home on a personal level.

There are many reasons why a property goes into foreclosure.

First and foremost just because property values are rising, that is not universal nor does it automatically mean they have risen enough to cover the debt.

Sadly far too many people owe far more on their property than it is now or likely ever will be worth.

You look at where foreclosures are hitting hardest and often the same areas come up in Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn. These also are areas with high numbers of minorities and or immigrant populations where great pride is placed on home ownership, and these people often went to great lengths to make that happen. Sadly far to many took on more debt than they should have, and or built their hopes upon a very unstable finances. Things like depending upon rental income, several family members pooling together to make payments, etc...

You had no small number of "older" persons (say >50 or even 60) who bought homes (again these often were immigrants), and now are having problems keeping up payments. Then there are all sorts who pulled nearly all they could out of their homes (second mortgages, home equity lines of credit) and now are stuck with huge debts but not always means to pay.

There is also big money to be made from foreclosures, and some politicians and other elected officials talk out of both sides of their mouths. On the one hand they reap *huge* payments for assisting lenders with the foreclosure process, while at the same time talking about "helping" the middle class...

Finally you have to remember nearly all mortgage modifications or whatever to prevent foreclosures usually involve basically rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. That is the actual principal amount borrowed is not reduced, but fees, surcharges *might* be waived and or reduced along with stretching out payments over a longer period of time. Sometimes depending upon credit worthiness interest rates *might* be reduced. But often by the time people have reached foreclosure or even pre-foreclosure their credit is so messed up they cannot qualify for truly low rates; so refinancing isn't an option.

If someone paid $400k for a property that is only worth $350k or worse <$300k, they are pretty much screwed. Lenders are often very reluctant to lower the principle borrowed and courts have no power to force them to do so. In such cases best that can be hoped for is lender will agree to a short sale accepting a lower amount than what is owed and letting property owner holder off the hook.

Even then short sales aren't always a cure. Depending upon how things go/contractual obligations even after such a sale the debtor still may have a balance to pay off.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/05...res-into-cash/

New York City Delinquencies Show Record Rise in Q3 2017 - DSNews

Last edited by BugsyPal; 10-09-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,889,244 times
Quote:
Someone in my neighborhood is going through bankruptcy and the foreclosure process as they stop making payments. They over extended themselves by leveraging everything on houses and the taxi business. Uber/Lyft upended their business and they are struggling now as they finance the purchase of medallions that are not worth the price they use to be.

Quote:

NYC is a rough and disheartening place to try to make it, some people spend 2-5 years trying to make it and throw in the towel others dedicate their life in the pursuit of trying to make it only to fail in the end. NYC is always evolving and finding out you are no longer wanted by the city is tough. For a long time I was very bitter with the process of saving for a down payment and how little my money would get me (you still have to make compromises).

Old 10-09-2017, 04:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,352,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
One last thing. Some of you property owners have said far worse than I've said. You guys have basically said screw everyone who isn't a property owner, if they haven't bought when real estate was much cheaper or in some cases inherited from family, etc. That line of thinking is so selfish and absolutely horrible.
I'm the first one here on this forum that has been advocating that the tax deductions that property owners take advantage of should go. I benefit from them myself.

Tell me about the progressive government policies that have correlated to a reduction of 1st World poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City