Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
jejejee Americans and their one drop rule, the most racist invention of all. But it is funny how African Americans work as enforcers of the rule, forcing mixed race people to identify as black. There are hundreds of examples of celebrities that have been bullied when they said they were mixed and not black.
African Americans are not the enforcers

If biracials don't want to claim black they don't have to, but the majority of the time they look stupid doing so looking visibly black. Society dominated by white supremacy and not African americans is the cause of mixed people having to "choose" a side sometimes. You can be mixed all you want, but you will still be pulled over for being "black". The experiences and treatment in society is what determines the how biracials identify themselves in public.

Look at Rashida and Kidada Jones, both same racial makeup. Rashida has dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes while Kidada has brown hair and brown eyes with darker skin complexion. They both have vastly different experiences growing up as sisters.

And there aren't hundred of celebrities that have been bullied for not claiming their black heritage. The black community was welcoming of biracials and mixed people way before white people.

You guys always over exaggerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or some of the whites de Blasio is catering too might like NYC a bit less if a bunch more non English speaking people of color move in. Oh, and Puerto Ricans are different from illegals in that they are Americans and can vote.

It has nothing to do with NYC being too expensive, as de Blasio has no problem with illegal immigrants or white transplants crowding up in apartments. Illegal immigrants he tolerates because businesses exploit them. White transplants like the coolness of NYC, but there is high turnover as most will move on to other things after awhile. Puerto Ricans are likely to stay for awhile, and can't have people who might organize and fight against so called white liberalism.

Go to Puerto Rican enclaves in the Bronx , East Harlem, and in the Lower East Side and you see a lot of community activists who have fought quite hard against gentrification. East Harlem still has comparatively few people, ditto the Bronx, and ditto Alphabet City as the people there fight for their communities. People on this forum under estimate Puerto Ricans.

They are coming to the mainland in big numbers and though Florida will get the biggest share, many will come to NYC and it is their RIGHT if they want to. Those of you making the excuse it's a hard city to start over in aren't saying that about illegal immigrants or white transplants, and you should be ashamed of yourself for holding Puerto Ricans who are AMERICANS to a different standard.

I'm forced to agree with G-Dale on racists among so called white progressives and their people of color lackeys.
I've been ranting about this here for a long time now, but none of these greedy power hungry liberal NYers want to agree with me. They accuse others of bigotry and racism, while they accumulate wealth and control the tax system. Kneeling for the anthem won't do squat. Change has got to come out from the tax system. That is the only place you can quantify racism, and the white progressives wrote the rules.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
jejejee Americans and their one drop rule, the most racist invention of all. But it is funny how African Americans work as enforcers of the rule, forcing mixed race people to identify as black. There are hundreds of examples of celebrities that have been bullied when they said they were mixed and not black.
But you make it seem as if African Americans created the one drop themselves when they didn’t.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
African Americans are not the enforcers

If biracials don't want to claim black they don't have to, but the majority of the time they look stupid doing so looking visibly black. Society dominated by white supremacy and not African americans is the cause of mixed people having to "choose" a side sometimes. You can be mixed all you want, but you will still be pulled over for being "black". The experiences and treatment in society is what determines the how biracials identify themselves in public.

Look at Rashida and Kidada Jones, both same racial makeup. Rashida has dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes while Kidada has brown hair and brown eyes with darker skin complexion. They both have vastly different experiences growing up as sisters.

And there aren't hundred of celebrities that have been bullied for not claiming their black heritage. The black community was welcoming of biracials and mixed people way before white people.

You guys always over exaggerate.
I agree 100%.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
One thing I've always noticed about Puerto Ricans- they are quicker to assimilate to mainland/NYC culture than most. They learn English quicker than most. There could be worse things for New York than them coming by the boatloads. My guess is most of them are far from stupid... they usually have lots of connections even if not through direct bloodlines. They are entrepreneurial and start new businesses. I absolutely agree they tend to be underestimated. They know what they are up against probably better than most. And have endured more than most. They come here already toughened up and ready to do whatever they have to in order to make it. Could you imagine living MONTHS without electricity, clean water, proper shelter? I sure as sh*t can't.

What really needs to be addressed is why it's become a better deal to not work and live off welfare. This spans ALL races, ages, colors, and creeds and it's the 800 pound gorilla in the room. If people weren't being taxed to death and could move up in life my guess is they would get off the dole. I got fed up with it all as a white transplant and left, realizing how much I was losing per year just on my 1040, not to mention the rest. Stagnant wages and the price of everything going through the roof with no end in sight. I get that you "pay for the privilege" to live in the city. But eventually the cost/benefit analysis just simply is too steep for anyone semi-sane. The charm wears off quickly as you grow older and fall behind, watching others elsewhere get ahead.

De Blasio needs to get his head out of his as@ and realize NYC isn't really that "cool" to us hipster kids lol. Owning property is cool. Living in a roach infested hole with annoying roommates and being financially raped is not. Practically every Midwestern transplant I knew there left, with the exception of a tiny handful tied to NYC-specific industries. Maybe some of you say GOOD- but guess what? We all paid taxes, worked insane hours and contributed nice chunks to that pot for Uncle Sugar. And that money ain't there no more. Come to think of it, many of my immigrant and native co-workers bounced out as well. All middle and working class folk, really good people.

My one job was on 57th/6th Ave overlooking the One57 building. Tourists would always look at me confused and ask the same question- which is why it was late at night yet no lights were on there. It would lead to long conversations that would leave them astounded. That is NOT normal in a civilized society. I have literally spoken with people from every country you can imagine and you just don't hear about the crap that's going on here.

You don't build a base with the current approach- it's literally a house of cards... it cannot sustain itself long-term. Something like 400,000 empty luxury units where no one contributes anything other than property tax. No contributions to the local economy. Many of them paid for with laundered money through shell corporations and fake LLCs yet no one puts them in check. The average person moving in- making less than 30K. The average person moving out- more than 60K. Yup, sounds real stable to me. #1 city in the U.S. for outmigration. Evidently I'm not alone in seeing the lack of long-term sustainability. Ordinary people with common sense want to make good investments they can rely on. The NYC economy is anything but right now. Quite frankly, it is sickening and saddening to see what's become of my beloved city when I visit anymore.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 10-23-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
One thing I've always noticed about Puerto Ricans- they are quicker to assimilate to mainland/NYC culture than most. They learn English quicker than most. There could be worse things for New York than them coming by the boatloads. My guess is most of them are far from stupid... they usually have lots of connections even if not through direct bloodlines. They are entrepreneurial and start new businesses. I absolutely agree they tend to be underestimated. They know what they are up against probably better than most. And have endured more than most. They come here already toughened up and ready to do whatever they have to in order to make it. Could you imagine living MONTHS without electricity, clean water, proper shelter? I sure as sh*t can't.

What really needs to be addressed is why it's become a better deal to not work and live off welfare. This spans ALL races, ages, colors, and creeds and it's the 800 pound gorilla in the room. If people weren't being taxed to death and could move up in life my guess is they would get off the dole. I got fed up with it all as a white transplant and left, realizing how much I was losing per year just on my 1040, not to mention the rest. Stagnant wages and the price of everything going through the roof with no end in sight. I get that you "pay for the privilege" to live in the city. But eventually the cost/benefit analysis just simply is too steep for anyone semi-sane. The charm wears off quickly as you grow older and fall behind, watching others elsewhere get ahead.

De Blasio needs to get his head out of his as@ and realize NYC isn't really that "cool" to us hipster kids lol. Owning property is cool. Living in a roach infested hole with annoying roommates and being financially raped is not. Practically every Midwestern transplant I knew there left, with the exception of a tiny handful tied to NYC-specific industries. Maybe some of you say GOOD- but guess what? We all paid taxes, worked insane hours and contributed nice chunks to that pot for Uncle Sugar. And that money ain't there no more. Come to think of it, many of my immigrant and native co-workers bounced out as well. All middle and working class folk, really good people.

My one job was on 57th/6th Ave overlooking the One57 building. Tourists would always look at me confused and ask the same question- which is why it was late at night yet no lights were on there. It would lead to long conversations that would leave them astounded. That is NOT normal in a civilized society. I have literally spoken with people from every country you can imagine and you just don't hear about the crap that's going on here.

You don't build a base with the current approach- it's literally a house of cards... it cannot sustain itself long-term. Something like 400,000 empty luxury units where no one contributes anything other than property tax. No contributions to the local economy. Many of them paid for with laundered money through shell corporations and fake LLCs yet no one puts them in check. The average person moving in- making less than 30K. The average person moving out- more than 60K. Yup, sounds real stable to me. #1 city in the U.S. for outmigration. Evidently I'm not alone in seeing the lack of long-term sustainability. Ordinary people with common sense want to make good investments they can rely on. The NYC economy is anything but right now. Quite frankly, it is sickening and saddening to see what's become of my beloved city when I visit anymore.
Pretty good post. +1

Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
NYWriter claims he's black but clearly he isn't.
Cheyenne claims to be male but clearly he's intersex/hermaphrodite/has both genders.

Cheyenne claims to be human but is clearly a script run but a computer program and is not even living.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Cheyenne claims to be male but clearly he's intersex/hermaphrodite/has both genders.

Cheyenne claims to be human but is clearly a script run but a computer program and is not even living.
Deflect all you want. You clearly don't know that Puerto Rican isn't a race.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Puerto Ricans don't have to assimilate, Puerto Ricans are Us citizens most if not all speak english. Spanish and English are official languages.

They are not apart of some third world country, they are apart of the US. This has nothing to do with assimilation but addressing the issues that people face in NYC. Coming here with something is hard enough, coming with nothing is almost impossible to survive here.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Puerto Ricans don't have to assimilate, Puerto Ricans are Us citizens most if not all speak english. Spanish and English are official languages.

They are not apart of some third world country, they are apart of the US. This has nothing to do with assimilation but addressing the issues that people face in NYC. Coming here with something is hard enough, coming with nothing is almost impossible to survive here.
Coming here not speaking English is a disadvantage, period. It limits what job prospects one has, which is important given how expensive NYC is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City