Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM

287 posts, read 593,752 times

Advertisements

I normally drive in to meet friends. I park around 30th street and 7th avenue. My question is:

1) can you park on weekend nights in residential neighborhoods without being ticketed? Iv done it many times and havent been ticketed but Im wondering if I have just been lucky.

2) North of what street is parking on street free?? (60-something?)

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/prkintro.shtml

Parking Regulations

DOT manages over one million traffic signs in New York City.
View the parking regulations for any block in New York City on a map
The Parking Regulations search tool is a text-based way to browse the parking regulations.

NYC DOTMAP PORTAL

Parking Regulations

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 27,820 times
parking in the city is a pain but there are some new websites that help make sense of the parking situation. personally, i like smoothparking.

Here's the link:
http://smoothparking.com/index.php?id=MTIy

Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM

24 posts, read 84,566 times
primospot.com

Old 11-01-2017, 07:43 AM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
I have the same question as the OP, but am struggling to find an answer in the DOT regulations.

Can you park overnight on streets between Saturday and Sunday in Manhattan?

I'm doing a trip Saturday into Sunday this weekend and we're staying at a place up on 134th and Powell Blvd. We were going to take the train into the city, but we waited too long and Amtrak got prohibitively expensive. Now we have two options. 1) Park in St. George overnight and take the Staten Island Ferry to the city and back, or 2) Drive into the city and find a parking space in Harlem. If we were to park, we would absolutely not want to have to move it. We'll only be in the city 24 hours, but I know cities can sometimes have tricky regulations about moving cars regularly or overnight.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Yes you can park overnight as long as it’s within the posted rules. It’s not like you need a local permit (but you do need a receipt on your dash if in a metered area during metered times). The signs and metered areas all have effective times.

Also, garage parking in Harlem isn’t as expensive as downtown so you might want to look at that.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
There's lots of free places to park all over manhattan after commercial hours which generally end at 6 or 7 pm. Sundays are all day.

The heart of midtown will have meter parking which is expensive ($3.75/hour). Beware of spots in midtown that have special "overnight parking restrictions" which are hidden in plain sight above the parking sign. They will tow you and then you'll need to slug over to the west side and pay an extra $200+ to get your car

Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Just stay aware of the signage, even so much as parking and then looking. Interestingly enough, though still terrible by most standards, LES has a good chunk of street parking available. My friends never have issues finding spots on Allen St particularly. One friend always finds a spot in front of my place!

Sunday is free all day, my block in particular is free after 4p and alternate parking midnight to 3a (kinda weird given street cleaning generally happens at 5a, oh well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City