Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No wonder you see ladies going through the garbage all the time. First hand experience from NYCHA, eh? You just love telling on your lifestyle!

That and your insistence that you can't leave NYCHA because of your disability checks or whatever programs you're on.

And yes Bugsy, my suggestion to privatize NYCHA must have you rattled then as you fear the lost of your welfare status.

Which is proof that it needs to be privatized and the tenants need to be given ownership and if they want they could sell it. Honestly, when tenants on welfare programs are given money in neighborhoods like Harlem or Bedstuy, they often sell out at outrageously low prices. To a person who hasn't seen a paycheck in a long time, even 30k is a lot of money. Not enough to live off any time in a free market, but certainly enough cash to move elsewhere.

Lastly a lot of people in NYCHA do work. It's a myth that people in NYCHA or on Section 8 mostly aren't working. Mostly they work retail or other low income jobs, or they work off the books.

Of course, it gives you greatly pleasure to be the expert of NYC's underclass. However, I'm all about destroying the systems that create that underclass. I don't care how much you claim to know about the bums, or how much you literally like the bums.

De Blasio himself will be much more likely to purse more privatization schemes as Trump and the Republicans gut funding to HUD. I get that this is scary for people on these programs, but it serves them right for making careers of freeloading/mooching of the system.

As per usual, when someone attempt a debate with facts, you head in to your queeny/bitchy mode and launch personal attacks.

Even if I *did* live in NYCHA (which obviously don't) would still be ahead of *YOU* who either do not live here or in some sort of parallel existence NYC that the rest of us no nothing of.

And for your information, as anyone with half a brain or follows news knows NYCHA projects do not have garbage that is easily gone through (cans), they use large dumpsters. And in any event you aren't going to be finding much besides standard trash anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That is my thinking as well. Instead of spending money refurbishing these obsolete buildings, gradually start emptying them out, and selling that land to the developers, with the following aims:

1. Restoring the street grid. Most of these projects are tower-in-the-park developments, resulting in dead-end streets and "cut-offs" from the city fabric.
2. Density. The developable land for most projects was not used efficiently, with giant set backs from the street, gated court yards, etc. If you just restore the grid, and build normally, you'd be able to build a lot more units.
3. It doesn't have to be 80/20. It could be 75/25 or even 60/40. With increased density and perhaps with more generous affordable housing quotas, this could result in net increase of affordable units. (This is important, as any such scheme would have to be sold to local community boards and NIMBYs).
I think the tower in the park thing is pretty cool, NYCHA would be a great place to live if it weren't ghetto. See: Stuytown and Peter Cooper Village

Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Forest Hills Houses was developed as a co-op, and things went rather well after the dust settled. Then it was discovered the place was mostly white, and of that a majority were Hasidic Jews.

When that scandal played out a plan was hatched to move minorities in as "compensation" for past discrimination.

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...---Op/10067842

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills_Co-op_Houses

Forest Hills vs. Mayor John Lindsay - Queens Chronicle: I Have Often Walked

Apparently the model wasn't or didn't work because residents voted to convert the place into rentals.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times
Default They're not broken down

Quote:
I think all NYCHA apartments should be privatized. I think the city should inject money in them to put them in a reasonable state of repair, and then turn them over to the tenants as co-ops. From then on NYCHA would be private property that generates tax revenues. It would be up to residents to pay taxes and maintenance.

Residents who wished to move elsewhere could sell their apartments and move elsewhere.
Put them in a reasonable state of repair? When was the last time you were in a NYCHA building? They are already in a reasonable state of repair - they're better built and maintained than cheap apartments elsewhere throughout the city. The apartments themselves are nice and decently-sized, it's some of the residents that trash the commons areas. Any work that needs to be done is primarily cosmetic or minor: clean the plexiglass windows, remove the prison type entrance door, make sure the door buzzer works for EVERY apartment, sanitize the elevators from urine, and remove graffitti from the elevators and stairwells. These are minor things that need doing and it depends on the building as some are better than others.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think the tower in the park thing is pretty cool, NYCHA would be a great place to live if it weren't ghetto. See: Stuytown and Peter Cooper Village
Towers in park much like the buildings that went up in 1950's through 1970's was an modernist idea that since has fallen out of favor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towers_in_the_park

Main complaints are the disruption to street grid/patterns. That and it essentially creates "ghettos" by isolating residents from surrounding areas.

The above can be a good or bad thing depending upon various circumstances. However in general the federal and local governments have moved away from TIP design for low income/public housing. That is everywhere except largely New York City for many reasons.

What you are seeing on the federal level and elsewhere is more of what Bill de Boob and other progressive liberals are getting a hard on about; mixed income (80/20 or whatever) housing that mixes several demographics into various housing.

Grand idea is that the "poor" or whatever will benefit from being in close proximity to wealthier and better educated persons. That is instead of attempting to recreate better/high quality schools, hospitals, and other such services you find in high income areas; you move the poor into those areas so they (and their children) can benefit.

Liberals and democrats came up with this idea in response to what many feared would happen and did after the big civil rights gains and so forth of 1960's.... Whites packed up and moved to the suburbs taking with them their industry, wealth and so forth, thus creating enclaves of good schools, nice housing with excellent public services......

Obama administration was planning to bust much of Westchester and other suburbs by forcing them to open up housing development for "low income" families. Unfortunately there was an election which GOP won and now HUD/federal housing policy has seemingly gone back to status quo. DT was barely POTUS for a few months before HUD quietly dropped a lawsuit against Westchester.

Long story short towers in park if done well *can* work, but often the housing projects that went up are now as bad or worse than the slums/tenements they replaced. Hence again the reasons why some are rethinking that model.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times
Default Didn't know about this

Quote:
I recall when the NYCHA apartments in East Harlem had no heat in the winter, and there are multiple other health hazards in NYCHA. I guess you like poor people to live in housing that is hazardous to their health, and I guess you'd like to multiply poverty and marginalization.

By what legal mechanism could the city seize all privately owned apartments in the city? No courts would allow this.

In fact this would kill off the property tax money coming into the city, so you'd be collapsing the city government for all public services as there would not be enough money.
I didn't know about this. Everytime I visit someone who lives there during the winter, the apartments are like saunas or ovens. That's why I've always thought that NYCHA had the best heating system in the state. Many residents that I know have to raise a window or two all winter to allow some of the heat to escape.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I didn't know about this. Everytime I visit someone who lives there during the winter, the apartments are like saunas or ovens. That's why I've always thought that NYCHA had the best heating system in the state. Many residents that I know have to raise a window or two all winter to allow some of the heat to escape.
They dont call it "project heat" for nothing

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:

You walk past any NYCHA building, especially senior housing during heating season and everyone has windows wide open. This or actually running air conditioners... Once you go into those buildings/apartments you understand; it's like walking into a blast furnace.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
I think all NYCHA apartments should be privatized. I think the city should inject money in them to put them in a reasonable state of repair, and then turn them over to the tenants as co-ops. From then on NYCHA would be private property that generates tax revenues. It would be up to residents to pay taxes and maintenance.

Residents who wished to move elsewhere could sell their apartments and move elsewhere.

I think this would reduce the city's welfare liabilities, over a period of time reduce segregation, and free money up for things such as education and infrastructure. I think it would also help further reduce crime as creating highly segregated welfare housing is what helped ruin the city by the 70s and 80s. Robert Moses was a key architect in bulldozing neighborhoods and building projects. So was the federal government, especially during Johnson's war on poverty.
Are you an idiot? So not only are NYCha residents being subsidized by the government, many for decades, but now they get to own property because they've been parasites on NYCs taxpayers?

How many NYCha residents could afford to buy out their apartment at market rate?

People like you have no concept of moral hazard. It's one of the main reasons for the endemic welfare state in NYC.

How about the city give 5 years notice that the the government gravy train is going to end and that rents will be going to market rate?

Many NYChA complexes are in prime neighborhoods. You're aware of that, correct?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Put them in a reasonable state of repair? When was the last time you were in a NYCHA building? They are already in a reasonable state of repair - they're better built and maintained than cheap apartments elsewhere throughout the city. The apartments themselves are nice and decently-sized, it's some of the residents that trash the commons areas. Any work that needs to be done is primarily cosmetic or minor: clean the plexiglass windows, remove the prison type entrance door, make sure the door buzzer works for EVERY apartment, sanitize the elevators from urine, and remove graffitti from the elevators and stairwells. These are minor things that need doing and it depends on the building as some are better than others.

And how about: Mow the lawns more frequently than once a year. Reseed bare dirt. I think public housing is left to wrack and ruin to make sure the poor know their place. (Not unlike Hawthorne's SCARLET LETTER.)

clean the plexiglass windows

An impossible task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City