Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times

Advertisements

So this older guy was staring at me on the train and I mean staring practically non stop. He got off at a stop before me and continued to look at me through the window as he walked on the platform to the exit stairs. Im assuming he was gay based off his mannerisms and appearance. I'm 25 (male) and I consider myself pretty attractive but I'm not walking around thinking I'm the ***** like some people do.

My question is why do men, whether straight or gay, continue to look at people!? Why would he continue to stare at me without any shame or being more discreet about it? it felt a little uncomfortable and I knew he was still staring as I could tell through my peripherals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 AM

881 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
So this older guy was staring at me on the train and I mean staring practically non stop. He got off at a stop before me and continued to look at me through the window as he walked on the platform to the exit stairs. Im assuming he was gay based off his mannerisms and appearance. I'm 25 (male) and I consider myself pretty attractive but I'm not walking around thinking I'm the ***** like some people do.

My question is why do men, whether straight or gay, continue to look at people!? Why would he continue to stare at me without any shame or being more discreet about it? it felt a little uncomfortable and I knew he was still staring as I could tell through my peripherals.
Once I was staring at this lovely chick and getting ready to chat her up when out of nowhere the guy next to me started talking to me about gay crap -- I hadn't noticed him before but here he was, chatting me up!

It made the lady chuckle and had me wondering where those Westboro folks are when you actually need them...later on, I wondered if that was maybe her boyfriend and he's amusing like that which is why she liked him.

Yesterday, I noticed a tall coed (I'm fascinated by tall females) while eating at one of them Flushing food courts (Chinese restaurants are a bum's best friend, I tell ya) who was pretty in a "repressed librarian way" (like the wife from the The World According to Garp film) but she was constantly making "ewww-peasants" kinds of faces and she caught me looking and started to challenge me with that feminazi attitude: "Is something wrong? You're staring at me;, so is something wrong?"

About fifteen minutes later, I felt a lot of commotion next to me as she made a big fuss of sitting down and then started to chat with me out of nowhere! Unfortunately, the constant raised eyebrows and sideways glances to whatever I said (think Lina Lamont from the beginning of Singin' in the Rain, only Oriental [me-ow!!]) made me deeply dislike her so I ignored her for the rest of my meal. Minutes later, she changed seats one away from me.

That's all by way of saying -- it's The Male Gaze. What can I say. We're hunters. And complain as the ladies might, they wouldn't want us any other way, really. (Verbal harassment and physical obstruction or contact are unnecessary and definitely need sanctioning, however.)

BTW, women stare, too -- just not so obviously due to the culture. Though, one reason why I've had much more black and hispanic girlfriends than any other kind is because those cultures are a lot more sexual and matriarchal -- those ladies stare and will reach out and grab you to let you know what they want!

Last edited by HomelessLoser; 12-23-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Politically Correct Disclaimer Added

Old 12-23-2017, 12:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Looks like a troll post. There's no law that states someone can't stare at you. If you don't want people to stare at you look at what muslim women wear, they know the solution sexual harassment thousands of years ahead of Westerners.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Looks like a troll post. There's no law that states someone can't stare at you. If you don't want people to stare at you look at what muslim women wear, they know the solution sexual harassment thousands of years ahead of Westerners.
Is it a troll post? The OP has been here for quite a while. Furthermore, there are definitely some weird people out here that stare as if they have never seen a human being before.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Is it a troll post? The OP has been here for quite a while. Furthermore, there are definitely some weird people out here that stare as if they have never seen a human being before.
Anyone who used the subway for years would know there are nutcases and weirdos that stare at anyone. If someone is attractive then get used to being stared a lot or don't take public transit. I'm surprised that people aren't sick of touching and holding onto nasty rail, doors, and even seats where homeless with crap on their pants have sat on.

You gotta practice the art of the zen.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Anyone who used the subway for years would know there are nutcases and weirdos that stare at anyone. If someone is attractive then get used to being stared a lot or don't take public transit. I'm surprised that people aren't sick of touching and holding onto nasty rail, doors, and even seats where homeless with crap on their pants have sat on.

You gotta practice the art of the zen.
It does happen, and one should be used to it, but you don't get used to it. It's still creepy.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:52 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Exactly. The OP should probaboy move back to the midwest if this bothers him that much.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:52 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
How would you know he's staring at you? If I make eye contact with someone I just never make eye contact again. Looks like you keep looking back.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:53 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post

Did you have a boogie sticking out?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM

329 posts, read 299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Did you have a boogie sticking out?
Tough question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City