Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK CITY - Mayor Bill de Blasio has named Houston Superintendent of Schools Richard Carranza as the new chancellor of New York City schools.

Carranza has been superintendent in Houston since August 2016.

Carranza, 51, is the grandson of Mexican immigrants who taught bilingual social studies and music in Tuscon before becoming a regional superintendent in Las Vegas. He also spent four years leading schools in San Francisco.

Houston is the nation's seventh-largest school system with 290 schools and 216,000 students.

The announcement comes days after Miami's schools superintendent accepted the post and then backed out.

Richard Carranza named New York City Schools Chancellor | abc7ny.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,054 times
Good luck with this guy, under his "leadership" Houston ISD is now faced with the largest financial crisis in US history. Carranza ran away from Houston as soon as parents were told about the $120 million budget cut. 700 teachers are to be terminated within the next few weeks and programs like magnet schools are being drained.

Run away? Or stay and fix the problem you helped create?

Quote:
Just six weeks ago, he told Eyewitness News the district was broke. But in an interview Wednesday, 48 hours after his surprise announcement in New York, he said that had nothing to do with his decision to bolt for the Big Apple.
HISD chief says budget not reason for leaving to NYC | abc13.com

Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Good luck with this guy, under his "leadership" Houston ISD is now faced with the largest financial crisis in US history. Carranza ran away from Houston as soon as parents were told about the $120 million budget cut. 700 teachers are to be terminated within the next few weeks and programs like magnet schools are being drained.

Run away? Or stay and fix the problem you helped create?

LMAO, the largest financial crisis in U.S. HISTORY!? $120MM is nothing to sneeze at but its not necessary just a mismanagement issue. Hurricane Harvey impacted property values by reducing assessments near term, i.e. school funding level would be impacted. To a lesser extent, the state of Texas will make up some of the gap but still cuts have to occur. But its not to say, funding won't improve as values increase. As a example, theDallas School District about 5years ago had an unexpected $80 million budget shortfall and has FULLY recovered. Moreover, that had nothing to do with a natural disaster but rather mismanagement and the recession. Dallas' district is smaller than Houston's so while $80MM isn't $120MM on a per-school basis, it was just as large as that in Houston.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Does Miami and Houston have some great system that would be a model for us to strive for? I would have thought we'd recruit someone from New England or the Great Lakes region. Or even the Pacific NW.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Does Miami and Houston have some great system that would be a model for us to strive for? I would have thought we'd recruit someone from New England or the Great Lakes region. Or even the Pacific NW.
NYC public school fail Hispanic and Black students by appointing a Hispanic person as chancellor it can be viewed as less racist than if it a white person that is leading a failing institution. Welcome to the era of identity politics. I look forward to seeing a Hispanic person defend property value and the right to have segregated schools, get the advocates all railed up.

Last edited by NYer23; 03-12-2018 at 05:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
NYC public school fail Hispanic and Black students by appointing a Hispanic person as chancellor it can be viewed as less racist than if it a white person that is leading a failing institution. Welcome to the era of identity politics. I look forward to seeing a Hispanic person defend property value and the right to have segregated schools, get the advocates all railed up.
From the looks of it, it would seem that the mayor would just have it his way with this new chancellor. Seems the guy is a bit hands off and somewhat of an agreeable person. The guy from Miami seems to have had his own vision of how things should go (somewhat pro charters and magnet schools while watering down req' for everyone else) and rumor was that he backed out because deblasio didn't allow him to hire his own staff. Anyway at least I learned something new now. Apparently people from Portugal that speak Spanish are considered Hispanic and persons of color.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
From the looks of it, it would seem that the mayor would just have it his way with this new chancellor. Seems the guy is a bit hands off and somewhat of an agreeable person. The guy from Miami seems to have had his own vision of how things should go (somewhat pro charters and magnet schools while watering down req' for everyone else) and rumor was that he backed out because deblasio didn't allow him to hire his own staff. Anyway at least I learned something new now. Apparently people from Portugal that speak Spanish are considered Hispanic and persons of color.
Weird part for me is somehow Asian is not people of color when it comes to the narrative of education. Even though Asian category is very diverse. They changed the SHSAT exam this year and still didn't get the desired demographic results.

They might one day make the test so progressive as to give it in Spanish. Would be hilarious if the demographic results stayed the same.

In all seriousness, I am not sure how we can fix societies issues if we can't get pass race and discuss the underline issues.

Last edited by NYer23; 03-12-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
How come no Asian chancellors? Or even principals?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Usually ends up in controversy because tiger parenting clashes with our society value of everyone gets a participation award. The value of a high school and college degree continues to decrease, because everyone gets passed along.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've only ever seen Asian women principals and vice principals. Even if you take out all sorts of bias, by the numbers I think Asian teachers are only a very small percentage. From what I can recall growing up principals were mostly male and white/Jewish and teachers mostly white/Jewish women. I don't know what the process is to take those lead educational positions, but to me in order to be in those positions other people kinda have to want you to be there so I think we may eventually get an Asian woman in a top post because white dudes dig that, figuratively and literally lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: