Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,198 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We're a an Asian couple trying to find an affordable ($1000-1300) 1 br apartment to rent for about a year, more if we like it. I saw this listing @ Craigslist on Parkchester apartments from Parkchester Preservation Management. We went to the open house today and loved most of the aspects! Size, price, cleanliness, proximity to midtown (where I work), etc. We did the first interview and scheduled the second interview for next week.

When I came home happy and told my family about it, my father balked at me, saying it's a very dangerous area. It was years ago but he witnessed shooting around East Tremont Ave.

Now I'm doing my research and found the opinions are 50/50 in many forums. My family's main concern is safety.

I know there are already threads on Parkchester's safety but thought you guys can give me better advice if I give you the specifics. We like everything except for the small kitchen and safety issues. I did notice that there are very few Asians, which was kind of strange since right now I live in Flushing. I didn't mind it that much, though, especially because most people I talked to on the street were friendly.

If you think it's a bad move, what do you think will be the best place for us, based on what I said?

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,379 times
I say give it a try. Like you said, there already some Asians in the area, so that means they are fine living there. It is a very mix neighborhood and probably getting more mix, with many people from the other boroughs looking for affordability. I will probably stay away from the other neighborhoods, especially the ones to the west and south, especially at night, if you are worry about crime. But I am sure you will do fine there in the end. If you don't like it in a year then just move away. But that descent neighborhood still pretty much affordable by New York City standards.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
The part around East Tremont is the less attractive part of Parkchester. The more attractive area is the one around the 6 train and the shopping strip.

Personally I don't consider either part of Parkchester to be dangerous, especially by Bronx standards, but to someone who's used to another area I could definitely see how they would feel uncomfortable there.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM

85 posts, read 415,391 times
Not the safest area by any standard, but not the worst either. My buddy's wife (they live in Parkchester) recently got off the 6 train coming home from work at around 6 pm, and had her cell phone ripped out of her hand by a teen who took off running. She was not hurt, but pretty shook up. These types of crimes are, unfortunately, pretty common in the area, and shootings do occur occasionally too. If you want a safe area, you could definitely do better, and find an apt in your price range in, say, Pelham Bay, and still be within walking distance to the train.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
You're Asian, and can only afford about $1,000 - $1,300 a month? Its called Queens. I suggest you look into it.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You're Asian, and can only afford about $1,000 - $1,300 a month? Its called Queens. I suggest you look into it.
I'm sure she's familiar with Queens. She said she was from Flushing remember.

Maybe she doesn't want to be so close to family. I can sympathize being a child of immigrants myself.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:33 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
Parkchester is a safe community, in fact it is essentially a self contained community with its own police force. I don;t doubt that JT's friend's cellphone was taken...but my Uncle was robbed in BROAD DAYLIGHT in front of the Chrysler Building..so they should probably not consider midtown either b/c it's too dangerous right?

Parkchester will likely suit them just fine...where else , in that price range, will you find all those amenities, within walking distance, safety, and comfort? Nowhere....

Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM

196 posts, read 779,340 times
Does Parkchester accept dogs?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,198 times
Thanks so much all for your input! I'll take everything into consideration...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Does Parkchester accept dogs?
No they don't, but it's not really enforced. You can take the chance if your dog is not noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City