Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,474 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving this summer after 3 years of living in Inwood. People seem to think of Inwood as quiet because there are parks and the Cloisters, etc. WRONG! We are, frankly, so traumatized from the noise level here, that quiet is now priority #1.

Where we currently live (near Broadway) there is unbearable noise from every direction. Cars blasting music at all hours and honking, stores/merchants blasting music during the day, hawkers shouting "especiales! especiales! especiales!" through microphones, nightclubs and their patrons yelling and shouting on the sidewalks at all hours. Trucks, garbage collection, buses, and everyday traffic are the LEAST of it.

Today we scoped out Brooklyn: Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Ditmas Park, and Midwood. We liked what we saw and heard... or rather didn't hear.

Any other ideas? Anywhere except Staten Island is up for consideration. Budget is $2,000-ish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
only live on a one way street, less traffic.
dont live on a busy avenue w/stores, buses, and the like.
look out the windows and look at what you see, especially the bedroom windows.
are there a/c on roofs, anything you think might cause noise.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,489 times
Best if you can scope out neighborhoods on warm summer nights and see how many people are hanginng outside

Old 03-17-2018, 09:38 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
only live on a one way street, less traffic.
dont live on a busy avenue w/stores, buses, and the like.
look out the windows and look at what you see, especially the bedroom windows.
are there a/c on roofs, anything you think might cause noise.
^ This. Also look for dead end streets but check out what"s at the dead end. Dead end by a cemetery is very quiet so you onnly have to worry about the live neighbors. Just expect to have your street plowed last.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
The truth is you can live in a quiet area but if your neighbor is loud and a pain it doesn't matter how quiet the area is

Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 PM

6,683 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_so View Post
My partner and I are moving this summer after 3 years of living in Inwood. People seem to think of Inwood as quiet because there are parks and the Cloisters, etc. WRONG! We are, frankly, so traumatized from the noise level here, that quiet is now priority #1.

Where we currently live (near Broadway) there is unbearable noise from every direction. Cars blasting music at all hours and honking, stores/merchants blasting music during the day, hawkers shouting "especiales! especiales! especiales!" through microphones, nightclubs and their patrons yelling and shouting on the sidewalks at all hours. Trucks, garbage collection, buses, and everyday traffic are the LEAST of it.

Today we scoped out Brooklyn: Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Ditmas Park, and Midwood. We liked what we saw and heard... or rather didn't hear.

Any other ideas? Anywhere except Staten Island is up for consideration. Budget is $2,000-ish.

Ugh, another noise complaint post - and boy do I understand.

I lived in Inwood practically all of my life until recently. I lived in the quietest part of Inwood, up by the Seaman area above 204th street. The only problem (with the noise) was the occasional neighbor with loud music, etc. Not that you'd want to, but you can still live in Inwood, but up by that area on that budget. Not in major streets like Broadway!

For any future readers, so that they won't make the same mistake, the worst areas in Inwood for noise pollution are on Dyckman Street by where that one train runs - which is horrendous - especially in the summer when all the bikers come out and run their bikes up that Ft. George hill. I don't need to tell you about how an elevated train is another noise pollutant, not helping.

Another area that is horrendous for noise, is all the way to the opposite side of Inwood - on the west side actually at Dyckman where the park starts with all of those cafes. Horrible! In the Summer, you'd get lucky if you get one hour of sleep in!

Before I moved, I asked both the super and doorman of my new building if they have heard of any noise complaints, and they said no. If they would have said yes, it would have been a deal breaker for me.

Thank goodness, but after I moved, it was so quiet that I am beginning to feel lonely! Needless to say, I'm sleeping by 11 of how quiet it is. (Fireproof buildings help enormously as well).

Funny, I came back to edit this post because I found the article of the Daily News explaining exactly the extremely noisy area I wrote about - the Mamajuana cafe. eek!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1952010

Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:

I live in the area you are looking in.

Windsor Terrace and (parts of) Midwood (not the Avenue M area, but further south, east of Ocean Parkway, and some areas near the Avenue J subway stop and higher, near Avenue I) tend to have good street parking, because there are lots of private homes.

Ditmas Park and Kensington have less street parking (Kensington is very difficult parking-wise I find)

Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Best if you can scope out neighborhoods on warm summer nights and see how many people are hanginng outside
Not necessarily. My old area was noisy during the day time, not at night. I lived on a major street and there was a lot of commercial traffic during the day. At night, it was really quiet.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:

Most residential areas that have private houses will be quiet on the side streets. Stay away from major shopping strips, streets where a lot of through traffic go by, streets with schools or churches, or playground. I have lived all over NYC. Quiet streets are pretty much in every neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
I can give you lots of details because I have been working and living in the above areas for 10 years: Midwood has pretty
good parking at the very south end of Midwood, the Kings Highway area West of Ocean Parkway, from Ocean Parkway to McDonald Avenue, toward the F train, and just south of there until Avenue S, because it's mostly (large) private houses so lots of street parking available.

Midwood around Avenue M is quite busy and I found it hard to park there when I worked there for a year (near the Q train at Avenue M)

We looked at an apartment near Avenue I and East 17th St. I think, just above the Avenue J Q subway stop. Surprisingly, there was parking at Avenue I and east of East 16th Street because again, lots of large private houses.

Windsor Terrace has good parking near the Greenwood Cemetary, along McDonald Avenue (this is the far Western stretch of Windsor Terrace) because due to the cemetary, it's not so densely populated, no houses along the cemetary (obviously).

In the other section of Windsor Terrace, the Eastern section closest to Prospect Park, there was decent parking along Prospect Avenue (I think it's called) one of the shopping streets that has stores but less houses.

I hope that is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City