Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:41 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,724,409 times

Advertisements

1)
Sichuan Hot Pot Cuisine
34 Pell St.
(China town)
(adds 20%)

2)
Dhaulagiri Kitchen
(Himalayan/Nepalese, Indian)
124 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10016
b/t 28th St & 29th St
(add 18%)

I didn't feel like dealing with possible unpleasantness but was wondering what it would be like to pay the bill less than the total on the bill and if they had an issue you would say "normally I tip but not when you decide what you want me to pay"

Anyway here's a similar thing. I went to a rooftop bar in midtown a few times,very nicely designed with high priced drinks. Their cheapest beer is Negro Modelo in a can. The sign says $6
The bartender asks for $7 and if you ask why they say "tax" and if you say "ok but that's $6.53" do I get my change?" They say "we don't have change" . They say that every time.
Yes it's only .47 cents difference but it's the principle.
They could post $7 so at least if they are stealing the .47 cents from you you know the real price. Then on top of that you tip a dollar ( hey wait a minute, what if you tip 47 cents? )
Yes I can afford it, just don't like these mofos and their little schemes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,160,147 times
They should not be tacking on tip. Report them !

Normally, parties of 6 and better get 18o/o tacked on as gratuity.

You can't tax booze! It already has a tax stamp on it. They are risking their business doing this.

Again,report they behind.

Tips should not be mandatory.
Change needs to be given. That is fresh,keeping the change.

I had this happen to me. Bill came out to 58$, I gave her 100$, and asked her to break a 20$. I was expecting 42$, but got 22$? Hmm.

Where is the other 20$ ,did I miss something? "Oh I thought that was my tip. " Really,you decide this? Manager please.

We were going to leave her 12$ ,aka 20o/o tip. How can she take over 30o/o? So we left her 5$ for the dishonesty. Eff uuu.

Maybe since we were the only ones of one kind. Latino in a Cuban restaurant,white customers and front of house staff. So,it was insult to injury.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
Bo Ky (Bayard St.)...S/C about double the tax, and they don't even take credit cards. Nowhere do they indicate a service charge except on the check as S/C. Many people left additional cash on the table. We were happy to pay the S/C because the meal was sublime.

So we left her 5$ for the dishonesty. Eff uuu.

I read an article by a foreign visitor who wrote that he was surprised that Americans give smaller tips for bad service (like theft ) instead of leaving NO tip. I tend to agree. Rotten service should = No Tip.
Perhaps instead of leaving a small $5 tip, she's have better gotten the point if you had left her a NICKEL.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,582,189 times
It happen to me yesterday when I went to XO taste restaurant on Elizabeth St in Chinatown. They added 15% tip on my bill without letting me know. I happen to notice it, and when I paid with my credit card, I put nothing on the tip section because they already bill me for it. I was going to give them 20% even thought the service sucks, but since they bill me for 15%, so I guess that will be it.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
1)
Sichuan Hot Pot Cuisine
34 Pell St.
(China town)
(adds 20%)

2)
Dhaulagiri Kitchen
(Himalayan/Nepalese, Indian)
124 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10016
b/t 28th St & 29th St
(add 18%)

I didn't feel like dealing with possible unpleasantness but was wondering what it would be like to pay the bill less than the total on the bill and if they had an issue you would say "normally I tip but not when you decide what you want me to pay"

Anyway here's a similar thing. I went to a rooftop bar in midtown a few times,very nicely designed with high priced drinks. Their cheapest beer is Negro Modelo in a can. The sign says $6
The bartender asks for $7 and if you ask why they say "tax" and if you say "ok but that's $6.53" do I get my change?" They say "we don't have change" . They say that every time.
Yes it's only .47 cents difference but it's the principle.
They could post $7 so at least if they are stealing the .47 cents from you you know the real price. Then on top of that you tip a dollar ( hey wait a minute, what if you tip 47 cents? )
Yes I can afford it, just don't like these mofos and their little schemes.
you should get charged extra just for drinking in a rooftop bar in Midtown

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times
I had a guy that would pull this **** when he was delivering food to me. The first time I was understanding, but then the second time the same crap happened. That's when I drew a line the sand because he was clearly trying to rip me off. Tipping is up to the customer, not the business, and if you're going to try to get more money out of me by pretending that you don't have the change, then I won't be ordering from you. I told the person flat out that this is the last time I was putting up with this stunt, and either you have change (as in singles or whatever is needed) or you won't getting any tip at all and I generally tip 20% on my orders for a place that's 2 1/2 blocks away. That put an end to it.
I mean it's crazy. Do you think you're supposed to get a $15 tip on a $25 order (at that time)??!? I think not! It's not about what you can afford. It's about my pockets being my pockets and it being up to ME to decide what I tip.

I agree with kapikap. Report those a-holes.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:44 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Don't know why Americans get so hot about gratuity being added to the bill automatically. Has been the normal standard in Europe and many other parts of the world for decades.

Long as the charge is disclosed clearly and upfront, don't see the issue. While yes, it does in theory force someone to "tip" a fixed amount even if they aren't happy with service, there are ways to address. Just speak with management or owner about whatever the issue or issues are causing unhappiness.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know why Americans get so hot about gratuity being added to the bill automatically. Has been the normal standard in Europe and many other parts of the world for decades.

Long as the charge is disclosed clearly and upfront, don't see the issue. While yes, it does in theory force someone to "tip" a fixed amount even if they aren't happy with service, there are ways to address. Just speak with management or owner about whatever the issue or issues are causing unhappiness.
Because the service you receive here isn't the same in Europe. When I went to restaurants in Italy, I was treated like royalty. You don't like that dish? Don't worry, we won't charge you. I mean that's what I call great service and this place in Florence wasn't cheap. It was steps from the Pitti Palace.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
Knowing how readily these places just import immigrants to work their restaurants, visa or not, I must wonder how much, if anything the waiters, bussers, cooks, and dishwashers get out of these mandated tips and how much is kept by greedy owners.

"Okay Chang, here's your $10 share of the tips for the week."

Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 AM

965 posts, read 1,115,675 times
I don't like to be told what I should be tipping. Arbitrary numbers like 15% or 20%, etc mean nothing to me.

If you exhibit good service, you're getting a good tip. If your service was mediocre, don't expect an over the top tip, and if your service is nasty, I'm sorry but you gets NOTHING. Zero, zilch, nada, zippo.

And don't throw "if you don't have the money you shouldn't be eating out" because it's played out. People obviously have the money, they're just not going to throw it out all willy nilly.

I'm not giving someone $10 automatically off of a $50 bill if they couldn't get my order correct, food came late / cold, bad attitude, etc.

If you're having a bad day and decide to take it out on a customer who has done nothing wrong to you, don't start crying if you see a big fat 0 on the bill.

That doesn't fly with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City