Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:10 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

I have to think there's a certain amount of corporate laziness/greed going on here. Yes, L&T, B Altman and Saks can be deemed old lady stores but are they also being run by old men about to retire or even worse, young corporate hipsters with short attention spans and no imagination? I think it's a shame as a culture we can't seem to reverse the "nothing old is worthwhile" mentality and continue to tear down/discard anything that isn't shiny and new. I fear Saks will be next. I was in there recently (to pee, and no there's no public restroom any more) and it was crowded but really a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:30 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I have to think there's a certain amount of corporate laziness/greed going on here. Yes, L&T, B Altman and Saks can be deemed old lady stores but are they also being run by old men about to retire or even worse, young corporate hipsters with short attention spans and no imagination? I think it's a shame as a culture we can't seem to reverse the "nothing old is worthwhile" mentality and continue to tear down/discard anything that isn't shiny and new. I fear Saks will be next. I was in there recently (to pee, and no there's no public restroom any more) and it was crowded but really a mess.
SAKS is not an old lady store. I've been shopping there for years, and I am not am old man. Just about all of my dress shirts come from there, the majority of them from the top line Corneliani, "Made in Italy". These shirts last for years. Extremely high quality from Northern Italy.

I see young folks like myself coming out of SAKS all the time with bags. They carry some very rare high-end lines from Italy. In fact I like them more than Barney's. Bloomingdale's is also great, along with Nordstrom. Neiman Marcus on occasion has different items. One of my first pairs of cufflinks I got from them at their store in Paramus. Konstatino... Handmade from Greece....

Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
I used to like to browse around in L&T when I was close by. The store was never too crowded and it was clean etc. Sad to hear it is closing.

But I am guilty of doing most of my shopping online. Better selection etc. If it wasn't for the internet, I would have hardly any clothes lol.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Maybe they just ran the numbers based on the current retail environment, and retail just isn't the best use for the space. This does jibe with what we're seeing in the rest of the city.

Quote:

Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I used to like to browse around in L&T when I was close by. The store was never too crowded and it was clean etc. Sad to hear it is closing.

But I am guilty of doing most of my shopping online. Better selection etc. If it wasn't for the internet, I would have hardly any clothes lol.
I haven't stepped into a department store in a while myself. I ordered some slim pants from Nordstrom last month. Fit like a glove. Once you know your size, you really don't need to bother huffing it to the store to deal with pushy, obnoxious sales people.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
SAKS is not an old lady store. I've been shopping there for years, and I am not am old man. Just about all of my dress shirts come from there, the majority of them from the top line Corneliani, "Made in Italy". These shirts last for years. Extremely high quality from Northern Italy.

I see young folks like myself coming out of SAKS all the time with bags. They carry some very rare high-end lines from Italy. In fact I like them more than Barney's. Bloomingdale's is also great, along with Nordstrom. Neiman Marcus on occasion has different items. One of my first pairs of cufflinks I got from them at their store in Paramus. Konstatino... Handmade from Greece....
Glad to hear it.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with corp laziness and everything to do with the fact that traditional brick and mortar retailers continue to struggle. The internet/Amazon is killing them and it makes less and less sense to maintain large and expensive retail property when they can shift focus to selling more online. That’s exactly what L&T is doing. They are closing several stores and beefing up their online store/inventory/experience. They’ll still maintain physical a retail presence- even maintain floor space at the flagship location - but it no longer makes financial sense to have such a huge store, especially if not as many people are shopping in it.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
i was there 2 weeks ago
9 floors of open retail with ****ty brands no way they can afford to stay in business

Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Retail Rules, for these times......

1. Know your size, before you shop online.....!

2. Be prepared for the wrong size, in the Amazon mail......!

Never had to deal with both, above, back in the day, when I could just go into a store and make sure the item fit to my liking. Now, I have to adapt to closing stores and changing times....!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Retail Rules, for these times......

1. Know your size, before you shop online.....!

2. Be prepared for the wrong size, in the Amazon mail......!

Never had to deal with both, above, back in the day, when I could just go into a store and make sure the item fit to my liking. Now, I have to adapt to closing stores and changing times....!
Interestingly enough, Amazon is now adapting by offering a 7 day window to try on clothing and shoes. You order the items and have a week to try them on. If they don’t fit or you don’t like them, you can send them back within 7 days and they don’t charge you. Their return policy is already pretty easy so this makes it even easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City