Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,035 times

Advertisements

I have a Ring 2 video doorbell on my apt door, it streams a live video feed to my phone when someone rings it, or you can set motion detection on it as well.

I knew a package was dropped off while at work, when I came home there was no package at the door. So I went back to the Ring 2 recordings on my phone, and caught my next door neighbor coming out of her apartment and dragging a big box of bounty I ordered from amazon.

I knocked on her door soon after, no answer. I decided to leave a note "Hi, thanks for holding onto my package, please leave it by my door".

Soon after, same evening, I saw a motion notification on my phone, and saw her drop off the bounty infront of my door, unboxed, which means she discarded the box it came in.

Saw her two days later in the hallway, and I let her know 3 bounty rolls are missing, she returned it 10mins later. I Gave a her a strict warning letting her know that was unacceptable, and to make sure nothing like that happens again.

Fast forward to a week later, security comes to my apt at 11pm while I have friends over, saying I'm doing a bbq, I let them in and showed them it's an electrical bbq, which is perfectly legal in my CO-OP. I checked the motion recordings on my phone, and notice the same scum neighbor came out of her apartment and took a good look at my apt#, then obviously made the call to security. (Me and her share a balcony that is divided by a splitter in the middle as well as a sheds on both sides.)

I haven't done anything for revenge or to spite her, so after stealing my package and letting her off easy, I'm shocked she tried to get me in trouble by calling security.

She's an alcoholic, always loud, and has a different guy coming to her apt. every night, she a bit trashy as well.

Do I report her and press charges, risking a grudge and further low actions, or wait it out and report her once she really asks for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
I would keep recording her, and if she gets cute, give it to her @ss. I have an obnoxious neighbor who has been an absolute nightmare in what is a very nice and quiet building. I started recording him with his loud arguments and taking photos of everything. He would give his keys to people he barely knew, so we had random people coming into the building causing a ruckus, as they use his apartment when he isn't home, slamming the door and constantly making loud noise.

The super came and spoke with him once because we have cameras throughout the building and outside as well and he saw him letting his dogs go anywhere and everywhere, and told him to stop it, trying to remedy the problem in a nice manner. He continued anyway as if the super had no pull, so after I sent my recordings to the super and raised hell about him violating the lease in several instances, the super said he had enough and had spoken with management who then gave him a stern warning, which was either you cut the sh*t or we're evicting you. He's been as quiet as a mouse now. I'm looking for any little thing to get him evicted now because he's been obnoxious and inconsiderate from the very beginning, getting into altercations with several other neighbors and thinking that he runs the show and can come in at all hours of the night slamming his door and waking the entire building up. Enough is enough. I along with others in the building made a stink and now it's strike three and your @ss is out!!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If she's stealing from you, I'm sure she's stealing from others as well.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
What could she have reported about you to the bldg. security? She stole your package and not the other way around.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would keep recording her, and if she gets cute, give it to her @ss.
I have a bunch of recorded motions of her walking by my door to her apt. When shes not stealing my package, shes bringing home another random guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If she's stealing from you, I'm sure she's stealing from others as well.
That's what a neighbor and some friends told me too, there's no way for me or anyone to prove that she steals from others, they need to install a ring doorbell or ask management to put cameras in the hallways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What could she have reported about you to the bldg. security? She stole your package and not the other way around.
She probably thought I was using a propane or charcoal grill, which is illegal in buildings, however electric grills are still permitted.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
I have a bunch of recorded motions of her walking by my door to her apt. When shes not stealing my package, shes bringing home another random guy.

That's what a neighbor and some friends told me too, there's no way for me or anyone to prove that she steals from others, they need to install a ring doorbell or ask management to put cameras in the hallways.

She probably thought I was using a propane or charcoal grill, which is illegal in buildings, however electric grills are still permitted.
I made a point of saying to the super via e-mail that we didn't feel comfortable in the building and were concerned about our safety because of all of the random people coming and going at various hours, and it's true. It's not safe at all when you don't know who is living next to you, especially when it isn't the person whose name is on the lease. It's the equivalent of running an Air BnB. There was a guy providing testimony on TV who lives on the Upper West Side the other day who had been looking to take legal action against their neighbor for a similar problem because he constantly saw people coming and going, and he was convinced that the so called neighbor was really just some sleezy realtor using the apartment to rent to people illegally short-term. For all you know, your neighbor could be running some sort of brothel. Is she generally at home? Does it look like she works anywhere? If not, you have to question how she pays the mortgage, and there's only so many ways, so turning tricks could very well be one of them.

I'll tell you one thing... My instincts rarely steer me wrong. We had suspicions about my neighbor after realizing that he's always home during hours that the rest of us are out working, so then you start to wonder how is he able to afford the rent when most of us are paying anywhere from $1,600 to over $2,000 a month for either a studio or a one bedroom? The math simply doesn't add up.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM

/\ Should I just change the threads title to pierrepont7731 neighbors eviction process?

Our situations are totally different except for the fact that its our neighbors. Thanks for the info, but it doesn't help me decide a resolve with my incidents.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
/\ Should I just change the threads title to pierrepont7731 neighbors eviction process?

Our situations are totally different except for the fact that its our neighbors. Thanks for the info, but it doesn't help me decide a resolve with my incidents.
How is it different exactly? On one hand you're complaining about people coming and going and then on the other saying it isn't an issue? Why bring it up then? Perhaps you just enjoy the drama of all of this....

Only you can decide how to proceed, but if you can't make a decision, don't expect us to for you. Seems like you have a hard time taking a stance and growing a pair.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 PM

59 posts, read 64,937 times
If the packages in question are delivered by USPS, they are considered to be a felony. Either way, if people in the building are having packages stolen, the police should be notified.

Getting a tenant evicted for behavior is pretty much impossible, so the police route would be the easier way to go.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How is it different exactly? On one hand you're complaining about people coming and going and then on the other saying it isn't an issue? Why bring it up then? Perhaps you just enjoy the drama of all of this....

Only you can decide how to proceed, but if you can't make a decision, don't expect us to for you. Seems like you have a hard time taking a stance and growing a pair.
The thread is titled stolen package and security got called. Your situation has nothing to do with a stolen package or security getting called. I didn't complain about about people coming and going in her place...

I mentioned that a different guy comes to her apt every night to give an idea of the kind of person I'm living next to, none of those guys did anything to me personally, so its none of my business...

Looked for opinions or similar experiences, the only one that came in here looking for drama is you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City