Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
Like Hickock45's house
Exactly. I'm not a homebody, so I will be leaving my property plenty for dining, roadtrips, visiting family/friends, bars, etc, but I want enough property that I can conduct all of my hobbies in peace without worrying about other people's sensibilities.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Here too if you own an actual house.
Right, but in Italy you pay for everything whether you rent or own the property. Funny thing is, some of the newer buildings are moving in this direction. My girlfriend's place in Manhattan is like this. She pays for her own heating and cooling, but she has full control over it. The only thing she gets for free is water.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,325 times
Quote:
Elevators and central air are not even the norm for NYC. The oeverwhelming majority of buildings in my neighborhood are 2-4 stories tall, thus no elevators.
Hence why I said comfortable living.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:29 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
Cincinatti is pretty affordable too and is pretty happening. I could be a bartender there.

A good bartender can make a nice living ANYWHERE.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM

497 posts, read 284,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Hence why I said comfortable living.
I'm perfectly comfortable with my 2 flights of steps and window AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A good bartender can make a nice living ANYWHERE.
True! Especially with low COL

Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
I came very close, when I moved into my M-L co-op 10 years ago, I was paying 854 p/mo, utils. included.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You already stated that if a place is a certain amount in rent, it must be in a ghetto. Now you're getting into twisting words. Whatever floats your boat, but this doesn't really make for an interesting discussion.

7th Floor nailed it when he gave me feedback about my post. He predicted responses like yours.

I don't get it -- no one is trying to convince anyone to leave NYC, we're just giving facts and examples. Not sure why it's so hard to understand.
Henna, over the past week, it has become quite clear to me that some people just don't get it

Dense as hell

I've stopped wasting my time with select individuals on here. No need to engage in discussion with them. I'll just stick to MoD duties, and carry on meaningful convo on here with the few that know how to do so.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You already stated that if a place is a certain amount in rent, it must be in a ghetto. Now you're getting into twisting words. Whatever floats your boat, but this doesn't really make for an interesting discussion.

7th Floor nailed it when he gave me feedback about my post. He predicted responses like yours.

I don't get it -- no one is trying to convince anyone to leave NYC, we're just giving facts and examples. Not sure why it's so hard to understand.
That's sort of 'cheating' are with ML or subsidized housing stock the rent/mortgage is below market rate.

Give me a market rate $5,000 p/month apartment in the Castro SF for $750 a month under some affordable housing guise and I'm there yesterday.

But that's kind of skirting around my point.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
That's sort of 'cheating' are with ML or subsidized housing stock the rent/mortgage is below market rate.

Give me a market rate $5,000 p/month apartment in the Castro SF for $750 a month under some affordable housing guise and I'm there yesterday.

But that's kind of skirting around my point.
What point!! You can’t seem to make a coherent one. Bottom line, this is not a thread trying to entice you to move out of NYC so I’m not sure why your panties are in a bunch.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right, but in Italy you pay for everything whether you rent or own the property. Funny thing is, some of the newer buildings are moving in this direction. My girlfriend's place in Manhattan is like this. She pays for her own heating and cooling, but she has full control over it. The only thing she gets for free is water.
My son and his wife rent an overpriced one bedroom in LA (near the airport so not exactly prime real estate) and pay for everything, including water and garbage. They want to move but haven’t decided where yet. Ironically, they would like to move back to Pullman, WA where he went to college and which they loved but there aren’t any jobs. Rent is cheap though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City