Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a gun range in Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 10:38 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Wow. That seems like a lot of hoops to go through for someone who just wants to learn. Makes more sense to me that you would have to learn how to shoot first in a controlled environment before you got your license. The same way you do a car. And long guns can be just as deadly as a handgun so not sure what the logic is there.
NY's gun laws all stem from the Sullivan Act passed in (I believe) 1912. It was aimed at "nefarious" Italian assassins who concealed handguns. Plus back then, long guns were still necessary for much of the population's every day life for various tasks.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-26-2018, 10:40 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Grenades (throwable bombs) were extant and recognized as arms in the English language as used at the time of the passing of the 2nd Amendment. Grenadiers using grenades as arms existed as early as the 1670s. A strictly literal interpretation of the term "arms" in the 2nd Amendment would certainly include hand grenades.

I'm not aware of PA having a hand grenade throwing range. I'm not sure any sane person would think hand grenades should be "free of any government interference." But then again, I don't think any sane person thinks the ownership of guns should be entirely "free of any government interference." Those that do are akin to religious extremists in their literal interpretation of "sacred" texts.
...and I don't give two chits about anyone else's opinion of 27 extremely clear words, as I've told you before. You won't tease a debate out of me. There's none to be had.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Bloomberg’s only running because he’s old and bored and wants power to remain relevant. He needs to go sit down and enjoy his money

Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Isn't there a gun range in Long Island?
There used to be one in Calverton just before the VA cemetary. It was very informal. If it's still there it has to be much more regulated now.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
None of that is relevant. Bxlover wants to educate his daughter about guns in a safe environment. There should be somewhere close to NYC to do that.
There are gun ranges in the Bronx and Yonkers I will check out this week. Somehow I think I will be able to. I will check back in with what I find.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Grenades (throwable bombs) were extant and recognized as arms in the English language as used at the time of the passing of the 2nd Amendment. Grenadiers using grenades as arms existed as early as the 1670s. A strictly literal interpretation of the term "arms" in the 2nd Amendment would certainly include hand grenades.

I'm not aware of PA having a hand grenade throwing range. I'm not sure any sane person would think hand grenades should be "free of any government interference." But then again, I don't think any sane person thinks the ownership of guns should be entirely "free of any government interference." Those that do are akin to religious extremists in their literal interpretation of "sacred" texts.
Brilliant analogy, second amendment folks often seem to view the amendment as sacred and divinely uttered text. Often as some religious fanatics view one verse in the bible as being more literal and important over the rest of the bible, or Holy Book. Like some fundamentalist only think that if they oppose homosexuality then they can ignore the rest of the Bibles teachings. You know like caring for the widows and orphans and foreigners.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:50 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
They will never let a rich Jewish man become President.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
They will never let a rich Jewish man become President.
Please don't go there. Especially not today.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Please don't go there. Especially not today.
My condolences to the families devastated by this attack and to the larger Jewish community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City