Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 04:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,614,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The difference between myself and others is I observe my surroundings very acutely and was exposed to a variety of individuals at a young age.

My situation is fine and sustainable - The reason being is because I have made active choices to limit my exposure and risk to certain situations. The OP has a lot of liabilities that are going to end up blowing up in her face at some point. Why just gloss over the fact she has law school loans an existing mortgage and has no plan on where these kids are going to school. The easy going mentality is the danger here. The fact she even thought for ONE second that a 30 minute commute, adequate space for the kids for a decent price was feasible indicates that she is already behind the 8 ball and unprepared.

Did you ever think what is the OPs culture and race - People are talking about Woodside. Are her kids going to be comfortable in a community where virtually nobody is White and some places it's broken English? I grew up in Flushing around immigrants so I don't care. We don't know where the OP grew up or what her kids are accustomed to. All of you guys are just saying "It'll work out" on these types of threads without any regard to if the OP is really being honest with themselves if they are truly prepared. Are White people comfortable walking on 61st and Woodside at 11pm after a long day at work - I don't know. Are the kiddie parks there safe? I have no clue. Unless you do - Don't just all willy nilly say she can find what she needs.

She says 2-3k but have you all looked lately - That often gets you a pre-war. She is saying fine with a walk up - Really? A walk up to the 5th floor? Is her husband OK with that? There's way too many unknowns here and I just find it hard to believe those kids are gonna be OK with this drastic change in lifestyle.

A lot of people here are just coming at it from their perspective. "I'm alright so they gonna be alright". What kind of sh** is that. I see too many maladjusted individuals in this city. Cause they came here with an "Everything's gonna work out fine" and now they stressed to the max because nobody told them the real deal.

I don't know where you all grew up - Dude above even had the nerve to say South BX after 4 dominican kids were either killed, jacked or assaulted
Now you're trying to steer OP away from Woodside? Not everyone is scared of their own shadow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,668,002 times
I would consider Bayside, Queens...it ticks most of the OP's wish list...very lovely community and from the LIRR Bayside station to Penn is about 25 minutes...I would try to rent in the 11361 zip code within walking distance to the station because parking is a nightmare!!! Next choice would be Auburndale close(again parking issue) to the LIRR station...2 bed rooms are doable around 3k not much less.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:06 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,883,236 times
I recommend Astoria by the Broadway or 30 Ave train stops. A 3 BR on a nice block in a decent building can be found for close to 3k and you'll have everything your family needs within the neighborhood. Commute will easily meet your requirements as well.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 42,597 times
I can see from the tenor of the thread that posting more details is probably just going to result in more judgment. But I'm a single mom who unexpectedly adopted two of my relative's kids. I do not have a partner. The salary is mine alone, and there is potential upside with a 15-20% bonus target. I have experience in NYC, as I went there for law school and my first couple legal jobs and so when I talk about the amenities I need/am willing to live with, I'm honest about it. The position I have at a law firm is non-billable, and supposed to be 40 hours per week. But having experienced big law pre-kids, I'm realistic about strictly 40 hours being unlikely. I do think it's reasonable to think that the extra hours can be clocked as work-from-home after the kids are asleep. That's the only way this position would be long-term sustainable for me. I'm not moving to NY to outsource raising my kids.

I have student loans remaining, but they are not substantial (<400 per month). I will have a mortgage to pay at about 2k, but the hope is that rental income will defray the majority if not all of that cost. I have no other debt, and some savings. My huge expense, for the next 1.5 years will be childcare for two, until my oldest kid is eligible for free public school. At that point, if everything's a fit long-term, we'll probably move to somewhere where public schools are excellent, or I'll rebudget to afford private. In any case, I definitely need some time to figure that out. However, because of their ages, that's not something I need to worry about quite yet, and I'm thankful. I just want a stop-gap for the interim that's going to be as convenient and low cost as possible. Also will need a dog walker for our dog, and house cleaning because again, time with the kiddos, and I'll pay for life to be more convenient so I can get this.

Frankly, I'm aware of the fact that this is likely to be a very stressful, high risk endeavor and am trying to plan accordingly. But having two kids changed my plans considerably, and made the public interest job I left big law for no longer sustainable, if I want them to have college savings. Plus, my kids are biracial. I currently live in a city that really lacks diversity. And I'm white myself, so racial mirrors and diversity are not just a plus, they're really important.

Anyway, I know that just opens up more factors to judge me on. Heh. Like the great fear I have that I'll never see these kids I'm over the moon and doing this for and will be consumed with guilt. But the risk is right for my family now. For a lot of reasons. There's a lot good about New York, and a lot of challenges. I'm up for both

Last edited by annanyc; 11-04-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,245,513 times
The ferry is a nice (if expensive) commute. But the bus from the ferry to 42nd is useless (you can imagine what traffic is like) so it'll be a long walk (or you can Citibike it, but it's all uphill) if that's where you're located. A bus getting in to Port Authority is less pleasant but shorter. Reliability... well, the Lincoln Tunnel puts a limit on that.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,779,897 times
Live in washington heights 168 express A train stop (literally 4 stops). You would be in Port Authortiy/times square in about 15-20 mins. I live off the 125 stop and from there to 59st columbus circle stop its only 6.5-7 mins, after columbus circle is 42st. Im a real estate agent in manhattan and have put lots of people in that area in 2-3 brs ranging from $2500-$3000.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
https://www.realtor.com/apartments/Secaucus_NJ/beds-2

Secaucus.

Take the train in from Secaucus Junction to Penn and walk or take the subway to your building.

https://www.realtor.com/apartments/Secaucus_NJ/beds-2

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanyc View Post
I can see from the tenor of the thread that posting more details is probably just going to result in more judgment. But I'm a single mom who unexpectedly adopted two of my relative's kids. I do not have a partner. The salary is mine alone, and there is potential upside with a 15-20% bonus target. I have experience in NYC, as I went there for law school and my first couple legal jobs and so when I talk about the amenities I need/am willing to live with, I'm honest about it. The position I have at a law firm is non-billable, and supposed to be 40 hours per week. But having experienced big law pre-kids, I'm realistic about strictly 40 hours being unlikely. I do think it's reasonable to think that the extra hours can be clocked as work-from-home after the kids are asleep. That's the only way this position would be long-term sustainable for me. I'm not moving to NY to outsource raising my kids.

I have student loans remaining, but they are not substantial (<400 per month). I will have a mortgage to pay at about 2k, but the hope is that rental income will defray the majority if not all of that cost. I have no other debt, and some savings. My huge expense, for the next 1.5 years will be childcare for two, until my oldest kid is eligible for free public school. At that point, if everything's a fit long-term, we'll probably move to somewhere where public schools are excellent, or I'll rebudget to afford private. In any case, I definitely need some time to figure that out. However, because of their ages, that's not something I need to worry about quite yet, and I'm thankful. I just want a stop-gap for the interim that's going to be as convenient and low cost as possible. Also will need a dog walker for our dog, and house cleaning because again, time with the kiddos, and I'll pay for life to be more convenient so I can get this.

Frankly, I'm aware of the fact that this is likely to be a very stressful, high risk endeavor and am trying to plan accordingly. But having two kids changed my plans considerably, and made the public interest job I left big law for no longer sustainable, if I want them to have college savings. Plus, my kids are biracial. I currently live in a city that really lacks diversity. And I'm white myself, so racial mirrors and diversity are not just a plus, they're really important.

Anyway, I know that just opens up more factors to judge me on. Heh. Like the great fear I have that I'll never see these kids I'm over the moon and doing this for and will be consumed with guilt. But the risk is right for my family now. For a lot of reasons. There's a lot good about New York, and a lot of challenges. I'm up for both
Don't be discouraged--it's essentially a single poster who's causing most of the ruckus. This all sounds pretty doable within some of the neighborhoods mentioned so far. Use those as a starting point and take a look on streeteasy/zillow/etc.

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:49 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 11:28 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
Sounds doable. If you're willing to extend the commute to 45 minutes each way, that allows for some cushion. Queens areas, such as Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, Woodside might work for you. In the other direction, towns along the Hudson on the NJ side would be good too. Take the bus to Port Authority which is practically in Times Square. I'd look at the NJ transit website and look at the bus schedules, maybe something on the 159 or 158 south of Cliffside Park. Maybe West New York. You have little kids so school is not a factor, but daycare is a bit of concern. Bad weather may hinder your commute, but that means everyone else in the office + clients will have trouble getting to work too. If your kids need a stroller, I would not recommend a walk up apartment. You need an elevator building. This is only temporary until you decide whether you are going to resettle here permanently. You can sublet for a year.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:30 PM

202 posts, read 165,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanyc View Post

No one on this board will ever be honest with you about race, so I will be. I've lived in Queens my entire life born and raised, 45 years old, so I know the area. If you are white or Asian, you will really only feel comfortable in outer Queens near Bayside, Whitestone, North Flushing, Auburndale or Fresh Meadows areas. If you can get a place in Bayside, I would suggest it. You can take the LIRR into Penn quickly then walk/take a train to times square. The area is very suburban like yet urban enough. MOST Of ALL, the 111 pct is the safest in all of NYC.

Please do not listen to people telling you about the Bronx, Brooklyn, Western Queens along the 7 line, South Queens. NYC is very, very segregated - weather you like it or not - and safety for a woman should be your first concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City