Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,758,870 times

Advertisements

So I was at the 145th Street station AC line waiting for the A express train this am. It pulls up and was packed. Well, the door opens and there was some space after a few people left. I stepped in and a big ass dude walked in behind me. We were stuffed. The guy next to me who was already on the train looks at me and says “there is no room”. I said “there is enough room for me”. I get all kinds of “no there isn’t” chants from others in the train.

What is cray cray is that I was not the last one to walk through the door. These f ers don’t say **** to the big ass dude that came in AFTER me.

What do you do in crowded subway situations in which someone engages with you verbally or physically?

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 11-05-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,901,152 times
Don't respond or acknowledge them.

And in the future you will just have to modify your schedule. This situation is not going to improve. Prepare to have less sleep, less personal time. That is what the MTA and Cuomo have expressed with their actions to all the little worker drone bees.

Do not get on crowded trains where people are packed in like sardines. Even if there's a little space just for you don't do it. It is not worth dealing with the negative energy constant bickering and putting yourself into potential physical altercations which lead to legal and medical bills you do not want and can't afford.

If your company is old school and clock in time is not flexible and you can't work remotely then you should look for a new job, leave NY or just continue to sacrifice more and more personal time to a delightful commute with the MTA. You unfortunately don't have a ton of options here.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 AM

1,121 posts, read 593,042 times
Why are you so mad about your train ride?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,913,733 times
Squeeze onto that train and make it happen like a real New Yawka

Old 11-06-2018, 07:04 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,105,548 times
One of the reasons on why i wake up at 5 am and carpool to the gym then head to the office. I am used to it now and i enjoy working out in the AM. Carpool World and WazePool. I recommend it.

I leave work at 4;25pm to also avoid rush hour train traffic.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:06 AM

1,121 posts, read 593,042 times
Whats Wazepool?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

What do you do in crowded subway situations in which someone engages with you verbally or physically?
Verbally - just don't say anything back.

Physically -- I wouldn't hit them back, but maybe yell "STOP AND GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME" or something. Or depending on the situation, don't do anything at all. Sometimes it's just not worth it to engage.

I actually got into a little altercation just a few days ago. I was at the door inside a full train waiting for the train to pull into the station so I could exit. As we're pulling in slowly, I notice a guy jostling himself into position on the platform so that he can stand DIRECTLY in front of the door, presumably to rush in. He was directly and completely in my way (and there were others exiting the train as well so I couldn't easily just go around him. I just stood there for a few seconds yelling at him "You're going to have to move!!!" which of course he didn't so I pushed by him. So annoying.

The people who crowd the train doors from the platform side when you're trying to exit are the worst.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:20 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times
Well at least the crowding isn't as bad as Japan, where "pushers" are employed to shove people into the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYefhPALCpU

Old 11-06-2018, 07:20 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Whats Wazepool?
It's an app that Waze created for the users of Waze to carpool. I had a couple of friends use it and they said it was pretty cheap.

I have experience using carpool world. I found a person who works in LIC that takes the GWB in the AM so i carpool with him to the gym. This is an on-going arraingment since Jan 2018. Before i had a 3 year carpool with a doctor from Tenafly, NJ who worked in BK. 2014 to July 2017. Then July 2017 to Dec 2018 with a guy that worked for the parks dept.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Don't respond or acknowledge them.

And in the future you will just have to modify your schedule. This situation is not going to improve. Prepare to have less sleep, less personal time. That is what the MTA and Cuomo have expressed with their actions to all the little worker drone bees.

Do not get on crowded trains where people are packed in like sardines. Even if there's a little space just for you don't do it. It is not worth dealing with the negative energy constant bickering and putting yourself into potential physical altercations which lead to legal and medical bills you do not want and can't afford.

If your company is old school and clock in time is not flexible and you can't work remotely then you should look for a new job, leave NY or just continue to sacrifice more and more personal time to a delightful commute with the MTA. You unfortunately don't have a ton of options here.
I agree here. Perhaps leaving way early to get a less crowded train could also be an option. You can have coffee, breakfast somewhere close to work and start more relaxed. Express bus is a good alternative option if you can do this, some people bike to work in the nicer seasons if its feasible.

Its very uncomfortable to be sardined in with people like that anywhere. It wont change here in NYC either, as we have people moving here constantly. Moving costs a lot of money and then theres getting a job and figuring out the logistics of day to day living in a new place. This is double if you have a family so that takes longer term planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City