Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times

Advertisements

By not allowing posts that are blatantly racist as hell yet happen to not use the n-word or something.

This is literally the only forum I spend any time on where the mods tolerate behavior like this. Even reddit has shut this kind of nonsense down. If you can't figure out how not to have this kind of behavior on here, you're just not trying.

Who do you think is going to use a forum that's mostly like six dudes talking about how much Dominicans suck or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 12:33 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There are several neighborhoods in Queens that would fit your budget (and safe enough) and they include Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park and even Forest Hills (for a studio apt.). Most brokers want you to pay upfront first month's rent, a month's security deposit and 15% of annual lease as their fee. You want to look into apartments when you are ready to move in (or not more than 2 weeks in advance). As the broker will want prove of employment (and if not you need to negotiate by showing enough available savings) and your credit history.

Remember NYC is just as expensive as the San Francisco Bay Area. So don't think you will save money by moving from there to here.
This.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can't figure out how not to have this kind of behavior? You can't prevent people from signing up on here. That would be the only way to truly prevent it. Otherwise all we do is give infractions and bans out. Doesn't stop trolls from coming back. Not feeding them would also be good as well. Gotta be a group effort really.
This can be hard. I just refrained from responding to a blatantly racist, ignorant post on another thread because I knew I wouldn’t be able to stomach the response. It’s not easy though when a voice in my head keeps saying, “bad things happen when good people do nothing.” Then I remind myself this is just a forum and at the end of the day, my ability to tell the difference between right and wrong, and keeping my sanity is A LOT more important than responding to ignorant, illiterate racists.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:38 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
This.
It is not easy, but it is definitely easier to live on a moderate budget in NYC than it is in the Bay Area. This isn’t a declaration of how easy it is here, but how ridiculous the Bay Area has become. There’s a lot going into that, but essentially the combination of being opposed to building more densely along with some key bad transit infrastructure decisions means that you pay more for your place per your commute time from the urban core compared to NYC/Tri-State Area and the interesting neighborhoods you can get by without a car are far fewer and yet still desirable and often expensive.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-11-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 03:41 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
I agree. When posts turn ugly one can easily avoid discussion by not answering. There are times when "Pandoras Box" issues arise.
There are quite a few original posts that are biased innuendo from origin seeking what I perceive to be responses with little room
except for one sided opinions.As long as diplomacy is maintained there lies an equal and level playing field. Posters should be careful
in what they post. They are read and engagement ensues.

Like the old saying goes: Sometimes crying and laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.

Getting back to post question at hand: I would suggest similar post responses.
A neighborhood close to the airport such as East Elmhurst , Ditmars ,Jackson Heights and Astoria close to Laguardia Airport.
A neighborhood close to J.F.K. such as Ozone Park,South Ozone Park,Howard Beach and South Jamaica.
A bus map of Queens. A train map for Queens. Long Island Railroad Map for Queens. Due diligence as to crime ,demography,
population,amenities.
You can start with Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Goodluck

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2018 at 04:18 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 03:46 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrayon View Post
The reason I’m interested in NYC is because I’d like to live car free, and rely on walking, transit or Lyft/Uber. I also like the diversity and energy that comes with a big city. It’s my kind of place. It’s close enough to home (NC) that I can do quick weekend trips (not feasible in the Bay Area).
You only been here once. What about a more economical city since you work from home?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:53 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
By not allowing posts that are blatantly racist as hell yet happen to not use the n-word or something.

This is literally the only forum I spend any time on where the mods tolerate behavior like this. Even reddit has shut this kind of nonsense down. If you can't figure out how not to have this kind of behavior on here, you're just not trying.

Who do you think is going to use a forum that's mostly like six dudes talking about how much Dominicans suck or something?

Agree.
Wishing someone death because of nationality or Race is racist fascism.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It is not easy, but it is definitely easier to live on a moderate budget in NYC than it is in the Bay Area. This isn’t a declaration of how easy it is here, but how ridiculous the Bay Area has become. There’s a lot going into that, but essentially the combination of being opposed to building more densely along with some key bad transit infrastructure decisions means that you pay more for your place per your commute time from the urban core compared to NYC/Tri-State Area and the interesting neighborhoods you can get by without a car are far fewer and yet still desirable and often expensive.
I lived in the Bay Area. I know exactly what the trade offs are, but it is not cheap to live here either and NYC is culturally radically different than the Bay Area (and NC) which is where OP is coming from.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrayon View Post
2. I currently pay $1031 a month for my rent-controlled studio. I'd be willing to pay up to $1800 for a studio or 1-bedroom. Is that realistic in Brooklyn or any other borough?
NYC is definitely going to be more expensive than San Francisco for you, since you're giving up a $1031/mo rent controlled studio to come here.

It's certainly possible to get a $1800/mo apartment in certain areas, but if you don't get one that's stabilized, then you could see big increases when the lease is up. I'm not really sure which neighborhoods you can get something for $1800. Some of the more desirable neighborhoods of Brooklyn will certainly be more than $1800 for any kind of apartment, no matter how small. Some other neighborhoods that have been suggested will definitely have $1800/mo apartments.

If you get to the point of apartment searching next summer, beware of stabilized leases that have a preferential rent. What this means is that the legal rent they can charge according to the law is higher than market value. let's say they can legally charge $3000/mo but that current market rents are $2000. They may offer you a lease at the preferential rate of $2000/mo because that's all they can expect to get. However, the problem with preferential rents is that if you happen to move into a gentrifying neighborhood and rents all over are spiking, then the following year at lease renewal time, your rent could shoot up to the legal rent ($3000 in my example).

Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 AM

202 posts, read 165,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
" NYC is still a very dangerous place for women after dark."

Oh, Lord, no, it is not. There are areas that are dangerous for all. And women take the same crap here that they do everywhere. But very dangerous? Please.

And your race/ethnic background only matter if you're some fragile little white boy who can't stand people being different all around him, which is a strange kind of person to be living in NYC to begin with.

Mods, please note how much your "anti-race discussion" rule appears to have just brought out the rabid bigots even more. Do you want this board to be useful or do you want it to be a place where miserable *******s jerk each other off about how terrible it is to have to live around brown people?
I really, really hope the OP reads this. People like you are dangerous imo. Providing fake news to folks looking to move to NYC.

Sunnyside was one of the safer areas in all of NYC for years, but take a look at it now.

https://qns.com/story/2018/11/12/arm...q5wt2JciEUFkQA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City