Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 5,281 times

Advertisements

I live in a nyc Co op and have been in this building for 28 years. Many supers have come and gone. The present one is nasty, condescending, moody and egotistical beyond belief. He does cover his a.. in case there is a complaint, he has not gone too far. The building has improved without his input and he acts as if we are bothering him. He goes out of his way to demand inconsistent rules and knows how to kiss up to the board. All of my dealings with him have been useless and highly unpleasant. What can I do, other than avoiding contact which is unfair, since I am a shareholder. On paper, all is good, in reality there is a hostile and volatile atmosphere. I appreciate any advice and will make use of explanations of why this has not been stopped and why the board seems to cater to this person. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altontoby View Post
I live in a nyc Co op and have been in this building for 28 years. Many supers have come and gone. The present one is nasty, condescending, moody and egotistical beyond belief. He does cover his a.. in case there is a complaint, he has not gone too far. The building has improved without his input and he acts as if we are bothering him. He goes out of his way to demand inconsistent rules and knows how to kiss up to the board. All of my dealings with him have been useless and highly unpleasant. What can I do, other than avoiding contact which is unfair, since I am a shareholder. On paper, all is good, in reality there is a hostile and volatile atmosphere. I appreciate any advice and will make use of explanations of why this has not been stopped and why the board seems to cater to this person. Thank you
Is the super Albanian?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:38 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Get on the board and start pushing to fire him. Is it a union buildimg? That would make it harder.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:24 AM

178 posts, read 147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Get on the board and start pushing to fire him. Is it a union buildimg? That would make it harder.
I agree. The best way to influence the board (and to perhaps come to understand the board’s reasoning in hiring this super) is to be on the board. There are other alternatives, but the best and most effective is to be part of the board. And it is true that if it is a union building firing the super will be very difficult.

You say many supers have come and gone. Perhaps the board has found that there aren’t any other superintendents available, and that this one will have to do. If you know of someone you think would be a better superintendent, maybe you can suggest this person to the board.

It could be that the board sees the superintendent in a different light than you do. Are other shareholders unhappy with this superintendent? If so, maybe you and them together can ask the board to consider making a change. Be advised, though, that getting rid of the current super might not be all that simple. There are often issues involved that may not be apparent to you, which is why it would help a great deal if you knew what the board thinks of the super.

It’s a difficult issue. I wish you well in your efforts.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:35 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times
Do other tenants have the same issue or is it you??

You said "he acts as if we are bothering him." If a group of you have issues with him then take your grievance to the board and tell them he needs to go.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
Quote:
That "many supers have come and gone" sounds like there is some kind of problem with the management company( who usually finds supers) or with the board( who oversees them). In a well run building which adequately compensates a good super, the supers tenure should be 20 or 30 years. If supers are coming and going every 5 years or so there is a problem.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:

If the majority of share holders complain the board will respond.
If only a minority of shareholders complain then the boars will sit in silence.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 5,281 times
Thanks everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. I wish he were Albanian, it would be a vast improvement.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:32 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,782,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That "many supers have come and gone" sounds like there is some kind of problem with the management company( who usually finds supers) or with the board( who oversees them). In a well run building which adequately compensates a good super, the supers tenure should be 20 or 30 years. If supers are coming and going every 5 years or so there is a problem.
Yep. This jumped out at me too. That sort of turnover suggests something is wrong with your board or management company. That could be bigger problem for the building than one nasty super.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:18 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,895,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yep. This jumped out at me too. That sort of turnover suggests something is wrong with your board or management company. That could be bigger problem for the building than one nasty super.
Unfortunately even expensive luxury buildings have this problem. Which is yet another reason why I don't live in Manhattan. Poor pay or bad working conditions attracts bottom feeders.

Our super in Manhattan was horrendous. Never around, and gave us issues moving out. We escalated to management and they said we were ok in writing and to ignore him. So basically a similar situation to OP except a regular apartment building. They said many people complained about him and moved out also. Yet despite all the complaints of course someone from above likely had his back.

This was a walk up building in UES. Paper thin walls we could hear the underemployed trust fund yoga b**** next door arguing with her boyfriend and having make up sex, mastubating, clipping her fangs, shaving pubic hair, watching family guy etc. Between that, the super not repairing anything, brown soupy water from con ed drilling nearby every other month, the constant dodging dog sh** and entitled yuppies I could no longer do it. I'm like they will raise the rent above 2k for this sandwich box (6 years ago) ???

So the borough you are in matters as well. All people I know in BK and Manhattan complain about the super and overall living conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City