Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

And the meaning of my previous post, in the context of this thread, is that "poverty advocates" are protesting "displacement of the poor by gentrification" while conveniently disregarding the fact that the poor are managing to live on the backs of taxpayers (who are struggling themselves to afford living in NYC) and totally reasonable landlords, by using every dirty trick in the book (as described in my post). The subsidized poor have been both acquiring and retaining their NYC housing by such tricks - they have not "earned" to be where they are, and therefore have not earned any protection from displacement either. The entire city gentrifying? Great!!! It's about time!

As my previous post demonstrates, the poor have no problem with displacement itself - they very gladly accept to be displaced to a more expensive apartment provided by the taxpayers!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneatles View Post
Except Asians don’t overprice neighborhoods or need a Starbucks with some grassy areas and they sure as hell don’t they require special privileges.
LOL, excuse me while I spit out my coffee.

Asians make home prices SOAR. Look at what happened to Flushing, my hometown. It's horrible how high house prices are here now and for pretty crappy housing stock to boot. And the good older, stately houses get torn down and these hideous multi-family monstrosities get put up.

Your remark is so tone deaf it's not even funny.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Alright, I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion about the economic status of NYC Chinese, I don't really know enough about the topic, but I will say something on the topic of subsidized housing after all, since it is being mentioned on this thread. So, my Parkchester tenant (not Chinese btw) who has been an okay tenant for several years, has finally signed a very long term lease renewal a couple of months ago, BUT (undisclosed and unknown to me) has also retired on Social.Security as early as legally possible per Social Security eligibility rules (although her job is very easy and one could certainly do it for a longer time), and then she applied for a Section 8 voucher because her low retirement income qualified her for Section 8. She was accepted into the Section 8 program very rapidly, but since her Section 8 voucher is much higher than the rent I was charging her, she decided to use the Section 8 voucher to move to a more expensive apartment (even though she was under a lease for my apartment). I am repeating in case you missed it: she used a Section 8 voucher for the purpose of moving to a more expensive apartment!

She notified me, only a few days in advance, that she was moving out of my apartment (despite 16 months remaining of the lease that she had signed). When I asked her why the h*** did she sign a very long lease while knowing that she might be leaving, she said (as though this is a totally normal reason to sign a fraudulent lease) because I wouldn't have rented to her if I knew she was going to leave in a couple of months. (duh!!) Various events then ensued (basically, she "moved out" but continued to occupy my apartment without paying rent, in addition to the other one she rented with a voucher). Do you conceive the cost and inconvenience of all of this to me as the apartment owner? (I can't really even say landlord, because that is the only rental apartment I own). Fortunately, I am very far from living on a margin, so I can handle it financially, but nevertheless!

Now, you guys who know my posts also know that I bought the apartment that I was renting because I liked it and planned to maybe retire there eventually. The condo is good enough for a previously self-employed retired doc. But the condo is apparently not good enough for a hamburger flipper, so all of you Dems with your brilliant voting patterns have just funded a retired hamburger flipper (profession slightly changed to protect identity :-) NOT to have an affordable apartment, but to move into a more expensive apartment, all because a Section 8 voucher pays about $500 more than I charge in rent! (which moving she also accomplished by screwing me out of thousands of dollars that she owes me according to the lease, but there is no point in trying to collect it, because she "does not have money" - the universal excuse that entitles the exploitive poor to everything. The only thing I could do was to do the eviction - from the apartment where she doesn't even live, just stores her stuff there!!). Now tell me how is that a "social justice", and how are the allegedly greedy landlords driving up NYC rents, when Section 8 vouchers in fact serve to allow the poor to move into more expensive apartments than the ones where professionals would live?

You've been severly fooled into thinking that one political party is any better than the other. That's the most amusing part of your post.

It doesn't matter who is in office, or who holds a seat anywhere, the government (no matter what party is in charge) will continue to subsidize people, in one form or another.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2019, 07:20 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You've been severly fooled into thinking that one political party is any better than the other. That's the most amusing part of your post.

It doesn't matter who is in office, or who holds a seat anywhere, the government (no matter what party is in charge) will continue to subsidize people, in one form or another.

I'm a libertarian - socially liberal, economically conservative. I have no problem with guys who wear a bra under their Marines uniform, but do have a problem with scum "legally" stealing other people's hard earned property. I have no illusions, but Republicans are only bad, while Dems are dismal.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I'm a libertarian - socially liberal, economically conservative. I have no problem with guys who wear a bra under their Marines uniform, but do have a problem with scum "legally" stealing other people's hard earned property. I have no illusions, but Republicans are only bad, while Dems are dismal.
That's my exactly my point. One's bad, and the other's dismal.

It's like choosing whether to get shot or stabbed.

But I digress.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Have you thought maybe you are the one that is fooled?

One party is for higher taxes, higher burdens for the middle class and job creators, freebies for slackers, unions that create higher costs, lower efficiencies and corruption, fees/ tolls to subsidize the latest looney social programs, meanwhile letting the important things like infrastructure rot, etc.

But yeah, continue to believe that this one heinous party that have 100% control in this city with absolutely no checks on it, is no different than any other.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 AM

192 posts, read 118,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I was born and raised in New York City.
Know this place like the back of my hand.
I have been to the good the bad and the ugly places .
I'll tell you one thing.
The safest place to be is next to your own two fists.
It's all the same crap in the neighborhoods.
Stupid people always waking around
spewing how unfair the world is to them and the need to take it out on somebody
because they are total failures.
The only difference is that some neighborhoods have more stupid people than others
which leads to higher incidences of crime.
Before one starts pointing fingers they best have their data correct.
I have scraped my knuckles more so, across skulls of those in stupid neighborhoods than those neighborhoods with far less
stupid people.
Being born and raised in NYC means nothing.
lost of people are born and raised here and know nothing about the city.
thats not something to brag about.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
^ Very true. Many New Yorkers are as ignorant and provincial as the most isolated Appalachian town.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
LOL, excuse me while I spit out my coffee.

Asians make home prices SOAR. Look at what happened to Flushing, my hometown. It's horrible how high house prices are here now and for pretty crappy housing stock to boot. And the good older, stately houses get torn down and these hideous multi-family monstrosities get put up.

Your remark is so tone deaf it's not even funny.
Tell me about it. And they throw down cash like it's nothing.

The day they put my grandmother's house on the market in Brooklyn, Asians started coming by, checking out the house and the realtor said, "Don't worry. You'll have multiple offers by the end of the week." They did---all Chinese families, all willing to put down the big bucks. Sold for over a million, more than 50% cash down. Then the addition of the metal bars, making everything look ugly.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Very true. Many New Yorkers are as ignorant and provincial as the most isolated Appalachian town.
I agree at times. But I would not hold those people accountable for gentrification. Gentrification is a product of the Baby Boomer generation. What happened to our country was perpetuated by Baby Boomers. They are criminals.

The Chinese and every other group are just doing what is good for their own families and honestly if they own a home here in NYC they are probably playing by the rules. The Baby Boomers did the total opposite. The Baby Boomers caused it all. They will deny it until the cows come home but I believe they are criminals who robbed their own kids and grandkids of their own country.

You can blame every Asian and every Russian or Mexican but it was the Baby Boomers who caused it all. Its easier to blame foreigners instead of figuring out where all the money vanished too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City