Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Unfortunately, this is what we have had to do. From going out to eat 1-2 a week, at actual restaurants (we're not much into take-out), to once every other week. So 8 times per month on average down to 2. It's just too expensive. Service in a lot of places, even really good restaurants, sucks now but they still expect 20% tip.

I don't knee-jerk tip 20%. It's a tip intended to reward good service, not part of the bill.
A lot of restaurants have already closed and will be closing very soon by the end of this year. Hopefully 90% of those that close are sh** quality over-priced ones anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Tipped restaurant and other employees are not subject to $15/hr. minimum wage. But a separate set of pay rules apply.

https://www.csglaw.com/new-york-mini...to-take-effect

Old 03-27-2019, 03:57 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
A lot of restaurants have already closed and will be closing very soon by the end of this year. Hopefully 90% of those that close are sh** quality over-priced ones anyways.
More to with restaurant rents.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Tipped restaurant and other employees are not subject to $15/hr. minimum wage. But a separate set of pay rules apply.

https://www.csglaw.com/new-york-mini...to-take-effect
Details like this are irrelevant here. I have gone out like always once a week and have not seen much of an increase.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
Prices have risen way up in my experience. For lunch - I use my subsidized work cafeteria or MealPal these days - both are good deals. If you work in the city, I suggest finding out about mealpal.

In the past I used to frequent many lunch places like Dig Inn but they too raised prices by double digit percentages. I also mostly stopped getting my afternoon coffees from the street venues and get the free ones in the office.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
I have always thought that if you suddenly just removed every single illegal restaurant worker from the restaurants, the best restaurants would bounce back pretty quickly and things would improve dramatically not only in NYC but it would send waves across the whole country. Whoever told us that we need illegals to operate restaurants because nobody else will do the work was wrong.

Another thing is that the USA can grow all of our of own food. We can figure it out.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
The restaurant staff, which is a huge chunk of the population will make more money, and or people will eat less fast food.

I cannot see the negatives here. If you restaurant does not get enough business to pay your employees the new minimum, you need to shut down, revamp your business model.

Or if you a restaurant, you can compete against all the similar restaurants in your area by not inflating price. There is like 4 chinese restaurants on the same block some places. There is italian everywhere in Manhattan, and a lot of diners in the outerboros.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 03-27-2019 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
here is like 4 chinese restaurants on the same block some places.
Chinese restaurants are all the same. Their food comes off the same truck. Their menus come from the same menu producer. In these scenarios I eat at the one that gives me the least amount of attitude.

I'm actually convinced that is why we have 4 chinese take out places on the same block. It is because of the attitude factor. That must be why they have plexiglass windows in some chinese places haha.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Chinese restaurants are all the same. Their food comes off the same truck. Their menus come from the same menu producer. In these scenarios I eat at the one that gives me the least amount of attitude.

I'm actually convinced that is why we have 4 chinese take out places on the same block. It is because of the attitude factor. That must be why they have plexiglass windows in some chinese places haha.
Best Chinese food ever is in Puerto Rico. Go to the ones in the hotels and San Juan area and be amazed. Freshly made soups. Soft and tender marinated ribs and pork. Don't believe me go and see.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Best Chinese food ever is in Puerto Rico. Go to the ones in the hotels and San Juan area and be amazed. Freshly made soups. Soft and tender marinated ribs and pork. Don't believe me go and see.
I have been to PR. I only noticed a lot of Panda Expresses. Which area of PR are these hotels in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City