Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

elnrgb,

To read the Times, click TOOLS (if I.E.) and choose IN-PRIVATE BROWSING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
To the topic,
Yes, I think growth is over for NYC. <I'm waiting for our first Strip Mall down Broadway.>

Old 04-20-2019, 02:25 PM

19 posts, read 21,940 times
These estimated stats are questionable considering the city has been adding +30,000 apartments per year over the past several years. The city added 36,000 new units alone in 2018 and rents are still at/near record highs. My guess is the census' methodology has changed to exclude more undocumented immigrants and to further frame the clownish De Blasio administration as incompetent (which they are).

However, the slight decrease in Manhattan is plausible since regulations have made it impossible to build anything in the borough except luxury housing/ class A office. Neighborhoods like the West Village and the Upper West Side now have less apartments than they used to thanks to NIMBY's shouting every project down, restricting zoning, and landmarking everything -- just one reason why their retail corridors have suffered moreso than other neighborhoods.

Last edited by oJh-nyc; 04-20-2019 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 02:59 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
elnrgb,

To read the Times, click TOOLS (if I.E.) and choose IN-PRIVATE BROWSING.

Thank you! That does seem to work, albeit variably (I went to "private browsing", and it let me read only one article, then asked for subscription. I signed out, shut off the phone, turned it on again, went to "private browsing", and then it let me read several articles). I normally do not use private browsing on my own phone, but it looks like I should. Does it prevent "cookies" from being collected by websites in general?

While I am anti-theft in general, I don't think I am thieving if I'm reading just an occasional NYT article fairly rarely (in case of The New Yorker, of which I generally read almost 100%, I am subscribed to the physical magazine that arrives in postal mail).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-20-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
If you examine where people are leaving (areas with population declines) versus areas with growth (population increases), two trends area apparent.

https://patch.com/new-york/queens/pe...er-nyc-borough

One of course is retirees are moving to south or southwest for various reasons.

The other is people are going where they can find work and or cost of living is lower. This and for a better quality of life.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Then you have this opinion piece from NYP: https://nypost.com/2019/04/20/the-re...eing-the-city/

Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'd like to see these growth (or not) statistics broken down by demographic, economic, and occupational categories. Whose coming vs whose leaving would say a lot about the economic impact of the population changes.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd like to see these growth (or not) statistics broken down by demographic, economic, and occupational categories. Whose coming vs whose leaving would say a lot about the economic impact of the population changes.

That information will come starting next year when census is performed.

The 2020 census is going to provide some interesting information on many fronts; social, political, geographical, and so forth.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:12 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNY1975 View Post
Not sure I believe this, because of this:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/new-yo...-record-highs/

http://gothamist.com/2019/04/18/nyc_...amn_higher.php

If the population had been dropping for 2 years rents wouldn't be surging to the highest level ever, especially considering that tens of thousands of housing units have been added to the market during the same period .

Just doesn't add up.

The housing stats and the rental figures are actual statistics. The thing about a population drop is a theory. I think for now I'll go with the statistics.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-21-2019 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure I believe this, because of this:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/new-yo...-record-highs/

Report: Rents In NYC Hit Record Highs As Albany Mulls Reforms: Gothamist

If the population had been dropping for 2 years rents wouldn't be surging to the highest level ever, especially considering that tens of thousands of housing units have been added to the market during the same period .

Just doesn't add up.

The housing stats and the rental figures are actual statistics. The thing about a population drop is a theory. I think for now I'll go with the statistics.

Rents refer to both asking and units currently occupied. Just because a LL advertising or whatever an apartment at certain rate that does not indicate he will get a tenant. Also LL's have been loathe in past to lower asking rents even while a glut of new construction has lead to an over supply.

What they have done is offer various concessions (one or two months free rent, etc....) to lure tenants. While such moves do not lower actual rent charged, they do affect overall sum paid thanks to those one or two rent free months. Those offers are slowly going away.

Landlords of new construction are saddled with debts; they cannot afford to lower rents much if at all because have people leaning on them. Investors largely lent much of the funding for many of these new buildings, and unlike banks it isn't easy to refinance such debt. Investors were promised/expect a certain ROI and that is what they will want to see.

Also again look who is leaving versus what is staying and or arriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City