Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bring family with me (spouse and a kindergartner and a second grader)?
Most definitely, it’ll be awesome! 9 31.03%
If you must. 4 13.79%
Not a good idea. 3 10.34%
Helllllll no 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM

16 posts, read 12,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
OP:

Where are you coming from?
How much debt are you bringing?
What is your salary at the new job?
Is your wife going to work?
Do you know anyone in NYC that can help with your kids?
*Florida ☀️
*So debt. It’s possible it balances out. Paying mortgage in FL plus a room for rent (just for me) near the hospital may be nearly equivalent as paying rent for the family in NYC.
*Its never enough lol $70k-ish
*Hopefully while the kids are in school.
*Not a soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think you should move yourself here first and get settled. Then after you've become more familiar with the new city and neighborhoods, you can start looking for more permanent housing. After that you can then bring your family. How quickly you can do this is entirely up to you.
I agree. As a medical resident, though, I’m not sure how much free time there will be!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What do you consider a good neighborhood? Are you expecting your next door neighbor to be a dentist, or a schoolteacher, or a temporary McDonalds staff? If you now live in Honolulu (with which I am somewhat familiar), in which neighborhood do you live?
*No helicopters circling; SWAT not a regular; safe to walk around
*as long as my neighbor is generally good and honest
*currently in FL, former HI resident (Salt Lake City, Aiea, Waikele, Waipi’o Gentry, Mililani Tech Park, Kapōlei)

Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
The Bronx is not really diverse, so...

It's mostly black and Hispanic people. Depending on your neighborhood, it can be either entirely black, entirely Dominican, etc. If you want diversity, go to Queens.

This move can seriously ruin your children's lives. If you don't have the budget to live in a nice neighborhood in the Bronx, I STRONGLY advise you against moving to the Bronx. Uprooting your children to put them in an area with failing, awful schools, crime, gang activity, etc. is not a step up by any stretch of the imagination. I am not saying this because the Bronx is majority minority, I am saying it because it's the truth. Queens is also majority-minority and doesn't have those issues. I am really, really shocked at how little thought you have put into this.
I was referring to NYC being diverse, not specifically the Bronx.
My new position is in the Bronx, it seems as if I have a decent radius of housing choices within a 30-minute commute-radius; thus, living in the Bronx doesn’t seem to be necessary. Perhaps Queens, as you suggested?

I created the post in an effort to know where to begin my search, as I know nothing of the area.

As a medical resident (IMG...International Medical Graduate), it is very difficult to get a position. Of all the IMG applicants for the 2019-2020 residency year, only 56% get a position. Therefore it’s typical to apply to various specialties all over the country in the hopes of matching to one. It may seem like very little though to you but I was not in a position to do otherwise. I was matched to the speciality to which I practiced previously, prior to moving to the US. As I said, many, many IMGs do not match or match to family practice or internal medicine just to get licensure. I feel very blessed to have an opportunity to fulfill my career and life goals.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 1,779 times
Isn't it common sense to do at least a little bit of research before accepting a job...? The Bronx is the most low income out of all the boroughs, you might have better luck living in Westchester if you want to bring your family along.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:54 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianpanda View Post
*Florida ☀️
*So debt. It’s possible it balances out. Paying mortgage in FL plus a room for rent (just for me) near the hospital may be nearly equivalent as paying rent for the family in NYC.
*Its never enough lol $70k-ish
*Hopefully while the kids are in school.
*Not a soul.
$70k-ish??? That's not going to go far... My studio that I've been paying for is $1600 a month. $70k gets you a maximum of $1750 in rent. You'll get a one bedroom with that. MAYBE a two bedroom if you're lucky and I mean VERY lucky.

You need to look in the Bronx. Riverdale is out of the question. That likely will barely get you a one bedroom. Pelham Bay or Woodlawn could work.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:08 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
OP, this is going to be a disaster. You cannot support a family of at least 4 (you say you have kids, so that means at least 2) on $70,000 in NYC. You're fulfilling your career and life goals, but you literally cannot rent an apartment big enough for your family and you cannot live in a decent enough neighborhood. I mentioned Queens but on your budget even Queens is out of the question. There is nowhere in the 5 boroughs you can support a wife and two children with $70,000. It just doesn't happen, unless you want to be living in poverty or want to wait 15 years for a Mitchell Lama apartment.

I'm actually angry at you for making this decision and I don't even know you! lol This is such a boneheaded move.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM

8,369 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianpanda View Post
I was referring to NYC being diverse, not specifically the Bronx.
My new position is in the Bronx, it seems as if I have a decent radius of housing choices within a 30-minute commute-radius; thus, living in the Bronx doesn’t seem to be necessary. Perhaps Queens, as you suggested?

I created the post in an effort to know where to begin my search, as I know nothing of the area.

As a medical resident (IMG...International Medical Graduate), it is very difficult to get a position. Of all the IMG applicants for the 2019-2020 residency year, only 56% get a position. Therefore it’s typical to apply to various specialties all over the country in the hopes of matching to one. It may seem like very little though to you but I was not in a position to do otherwise. I was matched to the speciality to which I practiced previously, prior to moving to the US. As I said, many, many IMGs do not match or match to family practice or internal medicine just to get licensure. I feel very blessed to have an opportunity to fulfill my career and life goals.

Aaaah Hawaiianpanda, I get it, you should have said all these things first. You are the second resident asking this type of question on this forum in the past month or so. People on this forum tend to be low-income (a cursory look will show you that most of this NYC forum consists of asking for advice re subsidized housing), and far away from medical profession, so don't expect much of useful advice... but anyway - I just happen to be an old, more than 50% retired by now, burned out IMG :-). My residency was long ago, and it was not in NYC, but some of the advice should hold across time and space.

My opinion is as follows:
1. It sounds as though you are male, and your wife and kids are in Florida. If your kids are of school age, keep them in FL. Residencies in the US are brutal, and you will not have a chance to spend any time with your family anyway. Your wife can visit you on one weekend of the month and bring one of the kids to say hello to daddy. You do NOT want to send your kids to public schools. In the US, physicians do not send their kids to public schools, and particularly not in the Bronx. Keep the kids in FL, and send them to good private schools even if the tuition consumes your last penny and you have to go into debt to educate them.

2. You really need to live right next to the hospital as a resident. Do not even entertain a thought of a 30 min commute (and NO WAY that you could commute from Queens to the Bronx as a resident!). Even living right next to the hospital, you will be dead tired most of the time. Adding any kind of commute to that is insane. The same advice that I gave to the other guy with the same question recently on this forum: e-mail your chief resident to ask where do other residents in your program live. Hospitals often own apartment buildings right next to the hospital, specifically for the residents; if not, in the entire areas around the hospitals landlords cater specifically to residents, ie, there are usually many small cheap apartments to rent. Lastly, some med schools offer med student housing for the month of July to new residents (before the incoming med school class moves in). If you are starting the residency on the usual July 1 date, you are already somewhat late with looking for housing - people usually start looking immediately after the match day.

3. The reason how I ever ended up participating in this forum relatively frequently is that in 2008, on a lark, I bought a small studio condo in Parkchester, the Bronx, with some vague plans for possibly using it later in my retirement (I do not live in NYC, and am an avid traveler, wanted to have some sort of inexpensive base in NYC, have been renting the place out for 10 years but had problems with tenants, recently decided to just keep the place empty and use it as my own pied a terre)... long story... anyway, if you don't manage to find any housing around that hospital where you're doing your residency (I looked it up quickly; it seems to be reasonably near two subway stops on train 6), you could look into Parkchester. It is an enormously large condo complex in the central Bronx (actually, two separate condo associations, Parkchester North and Parkchester South), with plenty of rental apartments within your resident salary range. People who tend to live there are generally low-income, but it is not a subsidized housing, and the complex has its own 24 hour security - due to these two things, the area is low-crime. The overwhelming majority of Parkchester residents are Latino (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans), with also a lot of African Americans and immigrants from Africa, and at least 15% of the population is from South Asia (mostly Bangladesh and Pakistan, some from India). Parkchester looks better than other low-income parts of the Bronx because of architecturally significant design that includes extensive landscaping, and is most importantly SAFER than other low-income parts of the Bronx. But... it is unquestionably a low-income area, it is NOT one of the few higher-income areas in the Bronx that were mentioned previously on this thread (you wouldn't be able to afford these higher-income areas, and they are all too far from your hospital). I am mentioning Parkchester as a sort of possibility, but still would not advise you to live there, primarily because of the commute - probably about 15 min by subway, but that is still a commute. It would be far preferable to live right next to the hospital - again, Parkchester is something you can consider only if you find out that all the convenient housing around your hospital is already taken.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Aaaah Hawaiianpanda, I get it, you should have said all these things first. You are the second resident asking this type of question on this forum in the past month or so. People on this forum tend to be low-income (a cursory look will show you that most of this NYC forum consists of asking for advice re subsidized housing), and far away from medical profession, so don't expect much of useful advice...
You should speak for yourself.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM

8,369 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You should speak for yourself.

Please do tell: is it true or not that about half of all threads on this forum are about housing lotteries? So, isn't my statement in the previous post true? Not sure what you mean by "speaking for myself" - I am in medicine, am an IMG, and was a resident at some point myself - you are none of these things, and neither is apparently anybody else who responded to the OP so far (except myself). He does not need your spiel about nice areas of the Bronx for professionals, but needs a place to live during the residency.

Residency is a very specific and unique situation, and all the replies to OP's question here demonstrate that the regulars on this forum have no idea what is involved. OP's situation is very typical for a resident, although it is atypical that he chose to consult this forum about resident housing before consulting somebody in his training program (which is probably because he is an IMG, and therefore not thoroughly familiar with how these things are done. I am just remembering myself at his stage of the game).

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-10-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City