Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Let me guess, I assume the city did nothing to help the people from shelters or prisons to find work, etc. Obviously they have to live somewhere and do need to be reintegrated into the society.

But the city’s welfare policies discourage work. Make a dollar or two over the limit and they cut you off. So some people deliberately make under the limit to keep Medicaid or whatever benefit.

The war on drugs locked up large numbers of people in prison and then of course set them free, dumping them into housing projects where they have become much worse from what they learned in conditions in prison, and obviously jeopardizing the safety of those around the .

To undo disasters like the NYCHA in your neighborhood, you’d need to end discrimination in the job and housing markets, and you’d need to end mass incarceration and the war on drugs. The school to prison pipeline has to be dealt too. The US by far has more people locked up in prison in any nation, and once released these people are out somewhere.

I want to say it’s also not okay to out a lot of former inmates or shelters in Black or other non white neighborhoods either.

NYC has paid a heavy price for having segregated, ethnic neighborhoods.
100%. The city always puts a bandaid on things.

Case in point, Carranza's solution for specialized high schools. Instead of actually doing the hard work and having hard conversations as to why black and brown children do worse in school, they're just going to take away a test. God forbid we stop locking their fathers up, stop the war on drugs, and start actually caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
100%. The city always puts a bandaid on things.

Case in point, Carranza's solution for specialized high schools. Instead of actually doing the hard work and having hard conversations as to why black and brown children do worse in school, they're just going to take away a test. God forbid we stop locking their fathers up, stop the war on drugs, and start actually caring.
I think of how places like Rockaways and Coney Island have such potential if the city would undo these horrible policies. So much of the city was ruined by this nonsense.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Why so this big news. Segregation was always legal in Northern portion of the United States,especially in affluent northeast. It was the poorer and inferior south that was forced to desegregate. Segregation Isa big issue here in NYC especially since NYC is a lefty progressive. Do you think those lefty progressive types on the upper west side of the old testament faith, who reads the NYT like if it's a Bible want a bunch of kids north of ivy league school Columbia to attend public schools within the upper west side? Hell no.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-17-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Let me guess, I assume the city did nothing to help the people from shelters or prisons to find work, etc. Obviously they have to live somewhere and do need to be reintegrated into the society.

But the city’s welfare policies discourage work. Make a dollar or two over the limit and they cut you off. So some people deliberately make under the limit to keep Medicaid or whatever benefit.

The war on drugs locked up large numbers of people in prison and then of course set them free, dumping them into housing projects where they have become much worse from what they learned in conditions in prison, and obviously jeopardizing the safety of those around the .

To undo disasters like the NYCHA in your neighborhood, you’d need to end discrimination in the job and housing markets, and you’d need to end mass incarceration and the war on drugs. The school to prison pipeline has to be dealt too. The US by far has more people locked up in prison in any nation, and once released these people are out somewhere.

I want to say it’s also not okay to out a lot of former inmates or shelters in Black or other non white neighborhoods either.

NYC has paid a heavy price for having segregated, ethnic neighborhoods.
in order to end segregation, as a society we must end poverty which in turn will end levels of racism, classism and sexism in this country. If we ended poverty in America today, and in NYC, boy oh boy, social workers, teachers, healthcare workers, even police officers will be out of a job the next day. Maintaining poverty, and trickling folks out of poverty is a billion dollar industry in this city.

Right now I'm currently half way done with Charles Murray Coming a Apart, The State of White America. It is a good read. Segregation is a big problem, especially amongst upper class folks, and folks who are in the middle class. These such folks prefer to be amongst their own not only racially but also socially, academically and economically. Those that are at the top, or close to the top, don't want those at the bottom near them. This is why I voted for Bernie Sanders in 2016, ending or reducing poverty will do wonders for our fair republic.

The big problem is this, when folks get out of prison. They have no home to go to. Not even NYCHA allows excons to be on the lease, (I'm not sure about now). But excons will end up moving back in mothers apartment or ex girlfriends apartment, or some sort of relative. Jobs will be difficult to find for criminal offenders. Only jobs available for criminals are limited to beautician, construction, and food prep. Why we have SJWS crying about folks locked up at the border, yet have to address the men and women of color locked up in our own prisons. You cant make this stuff up.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,035,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I am stuck at 7.2million applications for 10k affordable apartments. Do you still have to pay the application fee if you are not selected? Thats a nice way to collect revenue!

It is rough out there for good tenants trying to find affordable apartment.
Further down the article it says those applications were from 700,000+ unique households. BTW, it costs nothing to apply for affordable housing, and the only fee in processing if selected is the credit check.

I thought they were already doing away with CB preference (maybe because of the report), the place I got into had no CB preference.

Last edited by popartist; 07-17-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Yeah, they're ending CB preference on a going-forward basis because of these issues.

It's a little tricky--people having to put up with a year or more of noisy development in their neighborhood have *some* basis for feeling they should have *some* preference in the lottery.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Why so this big news. Segregation was always legal in Northern portion of the United States,especially in affluent northeast. It was the poorer and inferior south that was forced to desegregate. Segregation Isa big issue here in NYC especially since NYC is a lefty progressive. Do you think those lefty progressive types on the upper west side of the old testament faith, who reads the NYT like if it's a Bible want a bunch of kids north of ivy league school Columbia to attend public schools within the upper west side? Hell no.

They scream a good social justice warrior game but at the end of the day they live amongst themselves and are territorial with their resources

Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 PM

41 posts, read 39,338 times
So now people want outsiders moving into their neighborhoods? I thought gentrification was bad? Make up your mind, people.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:36 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap View Post
So now people want outsiders moving into their neighborhoods? I thought gentrification was bad? Make up your mind, people.
But that is how things roll. They complain about new developments will bring gentrification to Harlem (east and west), Bushwick, Bedford Stuyvesant and a few other places. But then turn around and feel it is their god given right to move into the UES, UWS, Tribeca, Chelsea, Far West Side, East Side, GV, West Village, mid-town, etc..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Opinion:

I have stated over and over in my posts.........

Exerpt:
“Segregation is a question of choice, and people who chose to live in a neighborhood, we believe, should be able to choose to stay in a neighborhood,” she said in an interview on Monday. “We shouldn’t be telling people you have to move to some other neighborhood.”

Money = Choices................ plain and simple. More money=more choices...............Less money=less choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery