Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 AM

53 posts, read 54,557 times

Advertisements

I have been with Spectrum for almost a year now, and although the service is decent, the price is not. They are charging me $70 for 100mbps internet + basic cable, and say that if I get rid of the basic cable, with additional fees the internet alone will cost me even more!! Thats ridiculous.

Any internet only options out there for around $40/month? Located in Ozone Park, Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Check out RCN
Here is the link
https://www.rcn.com/new-york/

They might have what you looking for.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
My H checked out RCN and I think it depends where you are in Queens. They advertise it, but not everyone can get it. Cable/internet service is the world's biggest rip-off after insurance.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My H checked out RCN and I think it depends where you are in Queens. They advertise it, but not everyone can get it. Cable/internet service is the world's biggest rip-off after insurance.
I'm in Queens and it's not available where I am. Website doesn't show or describe the coverage area. It's basically Verizon or Spectrum and that's it.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:48 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Cheap...
Reliable...

Pick one.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 PM

375 posts, read 323,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Cheap...
Reliable...

Pick one.
This!!

My boss once ordered RCN for the office. Holy sh*t it was garbage!!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:23 PM

53 posts, read 54,557 times
What are you guys paying for Spectrum / Verizon?

Best offer Spectrum has is $50+tax for 100mbps internet alone.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmGT View Post
What are you guys paying for Spectrum / Verizon?

Best offer Spectrum has is $50+tax for 100mbps internet alone.
This is the service offered to me, an old time warner customer, who was getting 200mbps for less. Spectrum has been screwing all the queens residents that are stuck with options.

The 100mbps is ok for streaming content, but not much so with 2 devices going at the same time.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
As another poster stated up-thread; you can have "cheap" or "reliable" rarely both when it comes to Internet/cable service here in NYC area.

Take your choice; Verizon, RCN, Spectrum, etc.... you know you're going to get bent over, so just chose the one that "looks the best".

What many persons are doing is simply signing up with one company for a promotion, then drop them for another when that offer ends. Lather, rinse and repeat every year or so as promotions end.

We went to OTA years ago and are quite happy. This can be supplemented by streaming if wanted, or other ways to get "television" content without having cable or whatever.

Cheap internet service simply does not exist in NYC or anywhere else from what one can see. It is all about bundling now, which is the only way to get any sort of "inexpensive" Internet access.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
These services are ripping people off. I'm actually paying more than that for Triple Play, and that's on a promotional. If you know a little bit about the history of the internet, and how much funding received for infrastructure, you'd be a huge advocate for the issues related to Net Neutrality. These monopolies are making hand over fist for "infrastructure upgrades" when they aren't actually delivering the specs they say they are, and often time are subsidized by our state and local governments. These internet providers deserve no mercy for their predatory practices. They treat their customers and employees horrifically. Something has got to change. PS: have you seen what people pay in Europe for twice the speed and half the price!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ll-those-years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: