Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 AM

9 posts, read 7,525 times

Advertisements

I wanted to use a catchy title.. thanks for noticing

We just moved to an area with 1 laundromat and it's about 7 blocks away. We are a family of 5... newborn and 2 small children.. so walking to this laundromat really isn't ideal/an option. Generally, we've opted to do drop offs. It just saves an insane amount of time for not too much more of the cost than what we'd pay to wash our own clothes.

The problem is.. MOST laundromats suck. CONSISTENTLY have lost many articles of clothing and for some reason there are always bleach spots on at least 1-2 pieces of clothing no matter what...so they're thrown away.

If it's not that then the socks are hastily thrown in there and not matching.. so I spend quite a bit of time doing what I paid someone else to do... and if not that then the laundromat is in a family area so if biz is slow they just close early..and it takes DAYS for our schedules to align to go pick it up ..and lastly...their door to door service delivers SUPER late and with 3 small kids, I'm not trying to have them asleep and I'm not rushing to bed in hopes of getting 5 hours of sleep as well. Lastly, the express service provided requires us to message our friggin' credit card number, etc. No easy online checkout or CC machine or Venmo/Cashapp process...I'm not comfortable with this.

I just want to do my own laundry..inside my home.. at this point. However, there are no hookups and I don't wish to install hookups.

I have a large kitchen and the perfect space for a washer/dryer combo to go that's approximately 10 feet away from the bathroom (sink/tub) water source and/or 20 feet away from the kitchen sink.

I've used those mini portable washer/spin dryer machines. They're very affordable but need to be in the tub to drain, tend to tear our clothes if I put more than 3 pieces in them and, while the spin dry does get a LOT of moisture out, the clothes still need to be hung after everything and this just isn't ideal for a family of 5.. oh..and I work from home

I was researching online and it looks like there's a ventless washer/dryer option.. or a condensation dryer. I'm still trying to understand how this works and if it would be doable being 10-20 feet away from the water source. I initially avoided looking at/buying one of these because they seemed to be $700+.. But now..with the frustration of dealing with these laundromats and having a load of laundry daily between my family of 5, I'm thinking this would be a great long term investment.

I know for SURE that a few of you must have this type of washer/dryer and I wanted to ask for feedback and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:53 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
If you are living in a rental and water is part of your rent, you need to check whether you are allowed to have your own washer/dryer combo in your apt.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Ventless Dryers take an incredible amount of electricity and release all that heat energy ionto your apartment, thousands of watts of heat in SUMMER? OY. Running 30 feet of hosing sounds like a nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpyrT2cfu8

What kind of digs are you in, sunshine? Can you try to convinve your landlord/board/HOA to install washers and dryers in the basement. Coin operated ones might maker him a few bucks.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-12-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
I agree with Chava. You need to check with your landlord on the availability to even have a washer/dryer.

You said you have a spot in the kitchen. I feel a hookup would be pretty easy if the bathroom is only 10 - 20 feet away. Why not just hire someone to do it?

Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Ah for the good old days! See link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...laundries.html

Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 7,525 times
I quickly looked up other door to door laundry services after posting this lolol.. The ONLY laundromat near us is the one mentioned above and does it for $1.08 a pound + delivery driver tip.

I found two more that serve my area at $1.35 and $1.45 a pound with other tack ons if items are a bed sheet, small area rug, etc. It's really going to add up.. Possibly $225 a month for a family of 5 after tips and the extra add ons here and there? Oh well.. guess it will save me a solid 6-8 hours a week of doing laundry.

Now waiting for new dressers for bedroom to arrive. Forget hangers rofl.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 AM

53 posts, read 36,725 times
Same boat here, look into the panda or haier portable washer and portable compact dryer, great reviews the dryer is electric and you can put an extension vent to the window

Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
You should also check you lease. It might state explicitly that washers and dryers are not allowed. Many/most apartments in NYC, especially in older buildings, do not allow these.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Installing Washer/Dryers in Your NYC Apartment

The dos and don’ts

Washers and dryers in New York City are status symbols. Only about 20% of apartments have the hookups necessary to install washer and dryer units and those that have them should consider themselves lucky. But why do so few buildings allow residents to install washers and dryers? The waste piping systems in many older buildings can be too small or too packed with sediment. The result is that soap and water will backup and affect your neighbors. This presents a high risk that your building likely doesn’t want to take. Yes, there is some logic to it, it’s not just to punish you or keep you in shape!

If you’re renting, your lease will probably specify pretty clearly whether or not you can install a washer/dryer. The first clue will be if you have the hookups for them. If you have the hookups, congratulations! You can stop reading here and go buy yourself a washer/dryer! (Or keep on for a minute and we’ll tell you where to put it…)

If you don’t have the hookups, well, keep reading…

Not having the hookups, as a renter, is pretty dismal. You can triple check your lease and call up your landlord, and maybe he’ll say yes, but if he doesn’t that’s kind of the end of the road.

Unless… You want to go illegal on this. If you don’t care what your landlord will think or you think you can get away with it, there are some more options for you. Beware: you will be breaking an important clause in your lease, you could be evicted, and if there is a flood due to your machine or a fire from the dryer, you will be responsible for the damages. Going rogue is not suggested in almost any circumstance and it could cost you a fortune.

“The core problem with washer-dryer units is that the flow of water often overwhelms the limiting plumbing capacity of older buildings,” says Dean M. Roberts, a real estate attorney with Norris McLaughlin & Marcus in Manhattan. These overflows can lead to the discovery of your machine, especially if it leaks into the apartment below you. Some good news: “ You probably won’t be evicted unless you refuse to give up the machine, says Goidel.

“The fact that several other tenants may have a washer/dryer can’t in and of itself justify acquiring similar equipment,” he says. “Perhaps the landlord is unaware or perhaps the tenants are rent-regulated and their leases allow it.”

At the end of the day, there are easier ways to get your laundry done than by risking thousands of dollars and doing your laundry in the dark of night. If you don’t have the hookups, look into some pickup and delivery services or haul those heavy bags down to the laundromat and bring something fantastic to read.

https://www.renthop.com/qa/nyc/can-i...-my-apartments

Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
As a recent visitor, I was surprised there were no do-it-yourself laundrymats anywhere to be found. It seems like the city would support that and that people would want it. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City