Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:24 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/story/2019/11/21/i-a...o-repeal-shsat

School Chancellor Richard Carranza publicly pressed state lawmakers Tuesday night to scrap a section of education law requiring the Specialized High School Admissions Test.

“All I need is for the legislature to get out of the way, repeal that law and then hold me accountable for the quality of those schools, which I thought I had since I am the chancellor,” Carranza said during a Tuesday night town hall meeting at M.S. 113 Richard R. Green in the Bronx.

Last year, the mayor announced plans to phase out the test and change admission requirements for the city’s eight specialized high schools amid calls for more diversity. Although black and Latino students make up 70 percent of the student body, they make up just over 10 percent of students in specialized high schools. And those numbers are at risk of decreasing.

In 2019, Stuyvesant High School only accepted seven black students to their incoming class of 895. The year prior, the school admitted 10 black students and the year before that 13.

Carranza’s opposition to the exam at the town hall comes as a stark contrast to Mayor Bill de Blasio’s, who stated that he was open to the idea of keeping the SHSAT in September after a year of protests from test supporters.

The proposed change would allow for the top 7 percent of students at every middle school a chance to attend a specialized high school. Each student’s ranking would be base off of a composite score based on student grades, state test scores and attendance compared to other students in their school. Something that Carranza said would diversify the schools overnight...

“So, until I get a better proposal, I am going to keep pushing this proposal, “said Carranza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 05:57 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
He's such a nasty racist.

... and way overpaid compared to his predecessors.

Both DeBlasio and Bloomberg should be great examples of why city control of NYC Schools has to go!

Old 11-21-2019, 06:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
That plan is misguided and doesn't address the root causes of the "lack of diversity"

Old 11-21-2019, 06:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Corrupt and on a power trip to boot.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:15 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
The proposed change would allow for the top 7 percent of students at every middle school a chance to attend a specialized high school. Each student’s ranking would be base off of a composite score based on student grades, state test scores and attendance compared to other students in their school. Something that Carranza said would diversify the schools overnight...
I wonder what happens to those specialized schools when the kids from underperforming schools can't keep up, which is the majority of schools. Surely they won't fail 3/4 of the class? The only solution, probably the best solution, dumb down the SHS so everyone is equal! Once everyone is equally stupid, there's no more inequality.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:29 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Both DeBlasio and Bloomberg should be great examples of why city control of NYC Schools has to go!
No way, the schools where horror shows under the Board of Ed and there was zero accountability.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
The test is not the problem. The test merely points out that there IS a problem. There are grave disparities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://qns.com/story/2019/11/21/i-a...o-repeal-shsat

“So, until I get a better proposal, I am going to keep pushing this proposal," said Carranza.
Except there's only one specialized high school in Queens. It has a total population of about 450 kids in the whole school. So roughly 110 seats for freshmen. I'm not a math expert, but I'm pretty sure that that's a lot less than they'd need to enroll the top 7% from the whole borough. So what happens to the overflow?

And that's only one of the logistical challenges faced by this plan...

Old 11-22-2019, 08:03 AM

425 posts, read 391,718 times
This keeps coming up, but removing the test doesn't address any of the problem except optics.

It is a lot easier to make things look fair then to actually provide a system that makes it fair. But to be clear, the problems with making the specialized high schools reflect the general population is deeper than just the school system. Their is a strong cultural and social-economic issues that create barriers for entry.

The city should have plenty of metrics on kids that are in the underrepresented demographics and are in the G&T or honors programs. Target them and give them the support needed to do well on the tests. These schools weren't always dominated by Asians.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:37 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
You know, before Bloomberg the State had control of local schools. Sounds like Cuomo will probably have to strip NYC of control again because this administration is reckless and incompetent

Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ultra left wing state government gave him his wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: