Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times

Advertisements

Saturday evening after dark, around 7:30, I noticed the motion light on my garage was on. I figured it was triggered by a stray cat or bird but I went out to check anyway. I saw a guy with a flashlight leaving my driveway. I yelled out to him what were you doing and he said he was looking for his cat. He was apologetic but I didn't recognize him as a neighbor. I have a locked chain link fence that closes off my driveway from the front of my property so he would have had to jump over it to trigger the motion light on my garage. When I saw him he was on the other side of the fence. Later I saw a woman walking up and down the street with a flashlight looking for something so he may have been telling the truth about the cat but what possesses someone to jump over a fence after dark and look around a garage? That's a good excuse for a burglar, just say you are looking for your cat if you are caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:44 AM

I told him that he should have rung the bell and he agreed and apologized again. Then he asked if he could look under my car on the street. I said yes but how did he know that was even my car? My house is neat but not the fanciest on the block.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Install cameras. The new ones are wireless IP and only need power like the YI ones on amazon. NEST ones are popular too and no need to run one cable for video and one for power.

I have a few IP cameras with set up at home looking at my main door from the inside, the balcony door from the inside, and a video doorbell. I get a lot of alerts such as when I plane flies over head and casts a shadow on the wall through the window, or when a speck of dust floats infront of the camera when night vision is on but better to get the alerts than not get an alert and have every thing stolen.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 PM

I'll look into cameras. I've got remote motion alarms by my front door and in my garage so if I'm home I know if there's anyone lurking outside my door or in my garage. Two years ago someone jimmied open the side door to my garage but didn't take anything. I think they must have gotten frightened off, maybe they saw a light in my home. I use a deadbolt on that door now.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:45 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Something tells me this guy was on the cuff and telling the truth.
People are smart enough to realize that today every home owner has a camera installed and it is
just not worth committing a crime. Yes. He could have rung the bell but I understand the passion of animal
lovers and it is like losing a child. They were not thinking clearly and must have been extremely upset .
Glad he apologized and now you got to know one of your neighbors. Animal lovers are some of the best
neighbors you will ever want to know. They have the biggest hearts.........................

Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
been through that twice....i ask:

what is your number in case i find it?

Old 10-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Something tells me this guy was on the cuff and telling the truth.
People are smart enough to realize that today every home owner has a camera installed and it is
just not worth committing a crime. Yes. He could have rung the bell but I understand the passion of animal
lovers and it is like losing a child. They were not thinking clearly and must have been extremely upset .
Glad he apologized and now you got to know one of your neighbors. Animal lovers are some of the best
neighbors you will ever want to know. They have the biggest hearts.........................
I think he was probably telling the truth but he jumped over a fence to enter my property. If you do that you better come back out with a cat, which he didn't. I didn't recognize him as a neighbor and he did not introduce himself as such. Also, I had just turned off the lights as I was going into a different room when I saw my motion light on. He apparently entered my property when all the lights were off which suggests he could have been a prowler. In any case he did a very stupid thing.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:30 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think he was probably telling the truth but he jumped over a fence to enter my property. If you do that you better come back out with a cat, which he didn't. I didn't recognize him as a neighbor and he did not introduce himself as such. Also, I had just turned off the lights as I was going into a different room when I saw my motion light on. He apparently entered my property when all the lights were off which suggests he could have been a prowler. In any case he did a very stupid thing.

Yup ..stupid. Agreed.
You gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Now he's on notice.
Have you thought of Placing a no trespassing sign on your yard fence.
Authorities will be alerted. Police will be contacted.....etc...
This will be undoubtedly the clearest message for all to keep away.

There's and old saying: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Yup ..stupid. Agreed.
You gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Now he's on notice.
Have you thought of Placing a no trespassing sign on your yard fence.
Authorities will be alerted. Police will be contacted.....etc...
This will be undoubtedly the clearest message for all to keep away.

There's and old saying: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
That's exactly what I did. I bought a metal sign at Ace Hardware that says "No Trespassing. Do Not Enter".

Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 PM

I just saw this story about a burglary pattern in northeastern Queens a few miles from me where a couple of guys entered backyards and forced open a rear door in the homes. I caught the "lost cat trespasser" by my garage on October 20 at 7:30pm and these two incidents happened on October 25th and 28th around 7pm. I don't recognize either of these guys as the guy I saw but it goes to show you that anyone entering your property after dark has to be presumed to be a burglar.

https://qns.com/story/2018/11/08/vid...-queens-homes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City