Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 09:29 PM

8,942 posts, read 4,786,620 times

Advertisements

Omg. The world's gone mad. lol. This would be funny if it weren't so serious.

https://www.amny.com/transit/subway-...ealth-support/

Three separate incidents in less than four hours involving emotionally disturbed people caused delays on subways Wednesday, leaving the Transport Workers Union Local 100 again appealing to Mayor Bill de Blasio for support.

From kicking out windows to people sprinting down the tracks and locking themselves in cabs, the union, as well as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, want mental health professionals in the transit system in order to bring safety to workers and consistent service to riders.

In one incident, a rider kicked out two windows of a D train at about 12:50 p.m. on May 5 just outside the Atlantic Avenue station in Brooklyn and leapt to the roadbed of the tracks, TWU stated. Service was suspended for about 40 minutes.

Another man, at about 9 a.m. Wednesday, barricaded himself in the cab of a J train at Broad Street in Downtown Manhattan for about 90 minutes until NYPD Emergency Service Units were able to remove him. Electricity had to be cut to the third rail in case it made it onto the tracks, according to TWU.

Another man said to be banging on the train operator’s door on a No. 4 train at Utica Avenue in Brooklyn leapt between cars to the platform, evading police. This delay lasted about 15 minutes, TWU said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 09:31 PM

5,734 posts, read 2,639,147 times
I mean seriously what is it gonna take for the Politicians to actually DO something. Words mean nothing. Like what AC said today. It's actions that matter.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 PM

Yeah. I don't know what's going on. I forget who said it here but maybe people are just bored af & don't quite know what to do with themselves. The 7 train had massive signal problems/issues yesterday leading to huge delays and overcrowding but all that seems normal/tame in comparison to these goof balls.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,759,765 times
I’m a big ass white dude with a short haircut. I never sit on the subway. It always cracks me up when some nut walks in, the doors close then they see me. They shut up and move on at the next station. The showtime kids even ask me if I’m a cop before they start their show. Lol.

One time a guy said something crazy to me. I told him to “chill out”. He sat down. Lol.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 PM

644 posts, read 308,428 times
Mental health professionals. Huh. As long as people can't be kept for inpatient treatment when they're becoming violently disturbed, that's just a revolving door, and it only ends when someone is dead. Not that being "nice" to the person with the mental issues and letting them run around like that is actually nice - they're probably miserable (I know, lived with someone like that) and if they do kill someone, they won't exactly get a donut and a pat on the back for it. They'll have their life wrecked anyway.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:55 PM

Subway conductor slashing leaves MTA baffled by Blaz supposedly removing NYPD

https://www.amny.com/transit/subway-...removing-nypd/

As a train conductor remained unconscious Thursday afternoon after being slashed by rider at the Cypress Hills station on the J line, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said the incident only bolstered their demand more cops in the transit system.

But after three major events involving emotionally disturbed members of the public causing service disruptions, MTA officials were shocked when Mayor Bill de Blasio suggested at his Thursday morning press conference that police presence has actually softened in recent months.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:09 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,902,132 times
And Jamie Dimon/David Solomon want their employees back on the subways and in the office

Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 PM

3,756 posts, read 3,488,452 times
Uh Oh, some people don't like threads like this round here lmao.

Anyway, want to know how politicians don't see this as an issue? Hell look at this board. There are many who think this is not a big deal ard/or it's normal and been happening. "It's NYC!!!" they say.

Hmmm. Hopefully one day people will wake up and realize this is not good.

Oh and letting the loonies out of Rikers I'm SURE has nothing to do with this.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:40 PM

22 posts, read 7,502 times
From last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZCeZw-VvS4&t=2436s

Go to the 10:00 mark.

Chirlane & the mayor explain what they are going to do about the mental health problem in NYC.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,305,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I mean seriously what is it gonna take for the Politicians to actually DO something. Words mean nothing. Like what AC said today. It's actions that matter.
Nothing. Most of state's mental health facilities were emptied and the locations sold to private real estate developers under the guise of providing more humane conditions rather than institutionalization.

They will be doing the same thing with prisons under the guise of criminal justice reform. Wait until they close rikers and replace / redevelop it to whatever real estate developers come up with. All these reforms are driven by need for the space for profit. But many need to be institutionalized.

These same politicians brokered the deals to empty these facilities and locations and sell to developers. By the time the average person realize what is going on the horse is out the barn.

http:// https://www.architecturaldig...-new-york-city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: