Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:05 AM

8,938 posts, read 4,785,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That park has always had a homeless problem, but I don't recall every bench surrounding the park being used by them. It's nuts.
Really? I don't know of it's history (apparently Bryant Park was bad in the 70s and I know Union Sq. Park was all locked up in the late 80's) but I thought Madison Sq. Park was quite nice & lovely at least it was around 2008/9.

Nowadays, every park has nasty people in it. Seriously. Even the public outdoor spaces that used to be nice and full of tourists or the office lunch crowd has become a place for bums to sleep and relieve themselves. Don't sit near any bushes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 10:11 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Really? I don't know of it's history (apparently Bryant Park was bad in the 70s and I know Union Sq. Park was all locked up in the late 80's) but I thought Madison Sq. Park was quite nice & lovely at least it was around 2008/9.

Nowadays, every park has nasty people in it. Seriously. Even the public outdoor spaces that used to be nice and full of tourists or the office lunch crowd has become a place for bums to sleep and relieve themselves. Don't sit near any bushes.
Bryant Park was very seedy back in the day. It's much nicer if you exclude the increase in the homeless and the rat problem. They work hard to try to keep it up. Back in the day it was quite drug infested and overrun with crime. Madison Sq Park is still ok, but too many homeless people. Just like the subways were much better years ago.

Whenever I do use public transport, my trips are planned out and I avoid the subway completely. I know quite a few people that now drive almost exclusively.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:21 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,759,278 times
I use Lyft a hell of a lot more than I once did. I even have their $19.99/month Pink membership for 15% off rides and other perks. It pays for itself and then some.

Homeless people are an issue here, but OMG it is NOTHING compared to what I saw on a recent trip to California. Tent cities all over the place. San Francisco is like 100% homeless tent cities and bums EVERYWHERE. Some guy got on the bus with no pants on and started rubbing his anus all over the seat. Then got off! Venice beach is just one massive outdoor tent city drug den.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:26 AM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Madison Square park was skechey as eff back in the day (1970's and 1980's maybe bit after and before).

Filled with hoes, drug dealers and users, homeless, etc... Before that area got all gussied up with likes of Jeff Bezos paying tens of millions it was the "Toy District" and other commercial which largely closed in evening. There were and are also an eff ton of (then) old and busted SRO or low level "budget" hotels that were filled with homeless, skells, and ladies who charged by the hour.

As per usual city leaned on big pocket corporations whose offices were in or around Madison Square park for funding to get the place cleaned up. Metropolitan Life whose main offices were just across street ponied up a good portion.

https://www.gothamcenter.org/blog/th...on-square-park

https://blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/dollar...-blooms-again/

https://www.gothamgazette.com/2969-a...-new-lives-to-

https://gothamist.com/news/locals-pe...on-square-park

Old 08-24-2021, 01:12 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
What I want to know is where are the several hundred or whatever cops that were or are supposed be deployed on subways?

Outside of the usual (when something goes down there is a show of force) can't say really see any significant NYPD or any other transit LE presence. Meanwhile platforms and trains are full of some sketchy to downright suspect persons all the time.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:36 PM

8,938 posts, read 4,785,354 times
I've seen them! A whole lot of them so much so that I thought something happened again. Riding the 7 and the N line (which are the only two lines that I take) I've seen cops in the cars, on the platforms and by the turnstiles to catch all these jumpers. So much... jumping.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:40 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
Oh that’s nothing. Back in the 1990s, I saw a man jacking off on the number 1 train!

Old 08-24-2021, 06:13 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,902,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Oh that’s nothing. Back in the 1990s, I saw a man jacking off on the number 1 train!
I suppose the problem is that is 30 years ago. Things are supposed to get better over time. Not worse.

We are de-volving as a species... Makes zero sense.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,526,490 times
Exclamation sasi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I use Lyft a hell of a lot more than I once did. I even have their $19.99/month Pink membership for 15% off rides and other perks. It pays for itself and then some.

Homeless people are an issue here, but OMG it is NOTHING compared to what I saw on a recent trip to California. Tent cities all over the place. San Francisco is like 100% homeless tent cities and bums EVERYWHERE. Some guy got on the bus with no pants on and started rubbing his anus all over the seat. Then got off! Venice beach is just one massive outdoor tent city drug den.

Take a look at what is happening on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia, Pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvvxoIgNPg

Old 08-24-2021, 08:48 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Take a look at what is happening on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia, Pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvvxoIgNPg
Holllllyyy ****!! I have NEVER seen this many junkies before, and the place is FILTHY!!! I never knew there were places this bad in the US. This is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City