Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 09:45 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times

Advertisements

Good.

https://www.amny.com/news/google-spe...or-new-campus/

Tech giant Google is expanding its footprint in New York in a big way, purchasing the St. John’s Terminal Development for $2.1 billion.

Google plans on transforming the former freight rail station into a 21st century, 1.7 million square foot campus in the heart of Hudson Square — creating thousands more high-paying tech jobs and boosting the economy of a city working to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“New York’s energy, creativity and world-class talent are what keep us rooted here, and why we’re deepening our commitment with plans to purchase St. John’s Terminal,” said Ruth Porat, chief financial officer for Alphabet and Google. “We look forward to continuing to grow along with this remarkable, diverse city.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:59 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
A months worth of profit.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Good.

https://www.amny.com/news/google-spe...or-new-campus/

Tech giant Google is expanding its footprint in New York in a big way, purchasing the St. John’s Terminal Development for $2.1 billion.

Google plans on transforming the former freight rail station into a 21st century, 1.7 million square foot campus in the heart of Hudson Square — creating thousands more high-paying tech jobs and boosting the economy of a city working to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“New York’s energy, creativity and world-class talent are what keep us rooted here, and why we’re deepening our commitment with plans to purchase St. John’s Terminal,” said Ruth Porat, chief financial officer for Alphabet and Google. “We look forward to continuing to grow along with this remarkable, diverse city.”
As if residential real estate in that area wasn't already absurd, it's about to get even more out of reach with the influx of tech bros.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 PM

593 posts, read 471,185 times
Ruth Porat made a good move from Morgan Stanley to Google. I stopped using Google services a while back (as far as I know).

Old 09-21-2021, 08:23 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,302,492 times
I literally just sent this to my friends. In 10 years it is going to be SOOOOOO expensive in NYC. The jobs are paying very well too. People better get off their assess and go hustle some of these jobs. Get whatever degrees and certifications that you need

ALSO BUY REAL ESTATE NOW!!!

Old 09-21-2021, 08:24 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,302,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
As if residential real estate in that area wasn't already absurd, it's about to get even more out of reach with the influx of tech bros.

I spoke to 2 very young ladies who were recently employed with google. Earning over $140K and living at home. I was so proud of them!

Old 09-22-2021, 06:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,733,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
I stopped using Google services a while back (as far as I know).
I have also as much as possible, I dumped Chrome for Brave, which is almost EXACTLY the same thing except they block all ads, block tracking you, and they even pay you to voluntarily open up sponsor web pages (made about $15 in 6 months)

I use duckduckgo for most web searches, except for when the results are important because the reality google searches are way more precise for now, that's their bread and butter.

But check your DNS servers, if you are using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you are being tracked on EVERY WEBSITE you visit by google, those are their servers. You want to use something like cloudfare instead at 1.1.1.1

Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have also as much as possible, I dumped Chrome for Brave, which is almost EXACTLY the same thing except they block all ads, block tracking you, and they even pay you to voluntarily open up sponsor web pages (made about $15 in 6 months)

I use duckduckgo for most web searches, except for when the results are important because the reality google searches are way more precise for now, that's their bread and butter.

But check your DNS servers, if you are using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you are being tracked on EVERY WEBSITE you visit by google, those are their servers. You want to use something like cloudfare instead at 1.1.1.1
I switched to Brave a while ago too. It is actually just a much better browser compared to bloated Chrome/Firefox/Edge.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:27 AM

I use chrome opera. Chrome takes forever to load and crashes often. Ditto Edge. Firefox streams terribly.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:33 AM

Google Signals It Won’t Take Office Building Tax Breaks That Amazon Searched For

https://www.thecity.nyc/2021/9/21/22...n-searched-for

Google is indicating it will forfeit hefty tax breaks available for its massive new Hudson Square office building — including widely used benefit programs that Amazon sought to reap for its ill-fated Long Island City headquarters.

The California-based online giant announced Tuesday it will be following through early next year on an option to purchase the sprawling St. John’s Terminal facility currently under reconstruction, for $2.1 billion.

Mayor Bill de Blasio heralded the news as a sign of New York City’s economic recovery from the COVID crisis, at a time when just an estimated 41% of workers are expected to be back at Manhattan offices by the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: