Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 01:26 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

What in the world are these things? Anyway, they seem to be highly coveted.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

The whole process takes just a few minutes. Two cars without license plates pull up to the scene in Middle Village, Queens. A man with a flashlight scopes out the cars, while another stands by as the lookout. Then, he emerges with his prize, a catalytic converter, before making his escape.

“Within the last year, it happened two times. The part cost like $2,000 to replace,” said Zdenka Petrova, a Middle Village resident.

When Petrova’s father had his catalytic converter stolen a second time, she turned to a local neighborhood group on Facebook.

What You Need To Know:

According to the NYPD, 1,953 catalytic converters have been stolen as of last month

That’s up from 465 thefts in the same period last year

The NYPD says it started a program to etch serial numbers on the catalytic converters
That would allow investigators to charge people with criminal possession of stolen property, if someone is found in possession of a part reported stolen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
My stepfather was installing one for a victim yesterday when I stopped by his shop. This definitely isn't fake news as many will try to say here.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-23-2021, 05:40 PM

113 posts, read 226,052 times
The value is in the palladium dust coating along the intake. If you have some acid and heat, you can concentrate and remove it, about a pebble's worth. In California a little while back they were aiming for Toyota Priuses, because supposedly something about the car's design make it easier to remove.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:35 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Hoodratz from Jamaica and the Bronx are stealing these left and right in NE Queens. I was driving in the Bayside area on Thursday night around 2am when I noticed a hoodrat, definitely not from the area, with his trusty backpack/facemask/hood conveniently surveying cars at a local Nissan dealer. At 2am? Lol. I followed the hoodrat for a few blocks in my car and sure enough he heads to my local mechanic's parking lot (which had several cars parked overnight). Sure enough the hoodrat starts looking underneath a few cars, at which time I called it in and had him arrested. But did I get any thanks from the cops? No.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:00 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
And he was promptly released because, well it was a minor offense, you know, he didn’t kill no one.

Probably went right back to stealing the next night because, why not?

Old 10-24-2021, 10:02 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My stepfather was installing one for a victim yesterday when I stopped by his shop. This definitely isn't fake news as many will try to say here.
I know one mod that is just itching to say, “it’s nothing new.”

Old 10-24-2021, 10:33 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I know one mod that is just itching to say, “it’s nothing new.”
Someone is either thinking or will post, "But you still park on the street right? So I guess it's not a problem then."

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-24-2021, 11:26 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
The value is in the palladium dust coating along the intake. If you have some acid and heat, you can concentrate and remove it, about a pebble's worth. In California a little while back they were aiming for Toyota Priuses, because supposedly something about the car's design make it easier to remove.
Hybrid's have a higher content of the rare metals in their cats.

Hybrids and pick-ups are the main targets.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:56 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Hoodratz from Jamaica and the Bronx are stealing these left and right in NE Queens. I was driving in the Bayside area on Thursday night around 2am when I noticed a hoodrat, definitely not from the area, with his trusty backpack/facemask/hood conveniently surveying cars at a local Nissan dealer. At 2am? Lol. I followed the hoodrat for a few blocks in my car and sure enough he heads to my local mechanic's parking lot (which had several cars parked overnight). Sure enough the hoodrat starts looking underneath a few cars, at which time I called it in and had him arrested. But did I get any thanks from the cops? No.
I think the shop owners/owner the the vehicles should thank you. Their the victims.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:20 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I first heard about it doing a gig in the exurbs of Orlando several years back, and as I understand it, there is a massive national and global uptick. I don't have a vehicle right now, but I generally had skid plates on them so I imagine that would've made things harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City