Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 03:09 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,345,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
That would be the real American Way. Embrace change and profit off of it.
That's what we are doing and we are all motivated as hell to destroy the goals. My bonus is tied to profits. On avg each company we move to perm WFH is 12k extra in our pockets. Sales guy on my team has a sign in his home office 2022 goals. #1 bankrupt NYC office buildings #2 bankrupt all office buildings #3 make 7 figure bonus. #4 its about me #5 some one has to loose some one has to win, I will win. He is nuts but he closes allot of deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 03:27 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,249,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
They were able to lure Cornell Tech to NYC, and helped with the Columbia University expansion. The state government is also crucial in launching the JFK airport modernization. They can get good work done if they put their minds to it.
great they destroyed tons of businesses then added a few that don't amount to a drop in the bucket.Modernizing JFK 30 years after it should have been with tons of government waste isn't an accomplishment either.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,889,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
then added a few that don't amount to a drop in the bucket.
They should add more.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Let me ask you this - and this is Adams' point - if people work from home, who supports the small businesses, the hotels, restaurants, taxis, and other jobs where you need people on-site? Easy answer - nobody...and then those businesses go under. Proof? Look at any major city's business district and you will see lots of closures and blight. This following article talks about how WFH is negatively impacting Toronto, another global city like NYC.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/10/...ntown-toronto/

There's a local youtuber named Louis Rossmann (spelling?) who has accurately catalogued the descent of so many neighborhoods in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and even Newark. The closures are multifactorial - high rental prices being a major factor. But at least during pre-COVID, businesses can rely on substantial foot traffic to get by. Anyway, you might want to take a look at some of his videos to get a better perspective.

Bottom line: there are entire sectors where people cannot work from home. And for those that can, they hurt the businesses that rely on those employees for their livelihood by not being present. This is why Adams is correctly pushing for people to return to the office.
we get adam's point and nobody is disputing the consequences of a lot of jobs going WFH.What he is missing and you are missing is the world changes and companies are not going to have people in the office if their workers can be more productive and make them more money doing WFH.

If this was 20 years ago and Adams was saying if people stop taking their broken VCRs to VCR repair shops those shops will go out of business he would be correct but totally missing the point of people not having any good reason to go to those shops.

Adams is living in fantasy land with this push. No company in their right mind is going to bring people back into the office unless it makes that company more money net all extra expenses." But if you don't bring your workers back local resteraunts with go under" doesn't mean anything to any other businesses.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Goldman, Chase, and Morgan Stanley are just 3 of the largest banks that have all stated that they want their people back in the office, pre-Omnicron. I think I even read that Dimon was going to cut those people that insisted on WFH.

But let's just say for giggles that all of banking is perfectly fine with their employees working from home. Tell me - how's business downtown these days? Lots of store closures? I have a lot of buddies working downtown on Varick, Broad, Bowling Green. They all tell me it's a ghost town b/c everyone is working from home and that the businesses are suffering.

I'm glad that employees are getting paid at YOUR bank? But what about the bagel shops, florists, bars and restaurants that rely on the lunch and after-work crowd that's no longer there. What are they supposed to do?
again what's your point? If those banks can make more money with people working in the office and deem it safe to do so that's what they'll do. But they aren't doing it to be nice to bagel shops florists bars etc.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The shops affected should be driving out all politicians who thought 2 generations to bend the curve, shut it all down, was prudent.

The fate of these shops after such overreach was as certain as the fate of the Titanic after she hit the iceberg.
exactly.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
They should add more.
yes I'm sure these inept corrupt politicians will get right on that in an extremely efficient manner.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
yes I'm sure these inept corrupt politicians will get right on that in an extremely efficient manner.
Maybe when the situation is desperate, they will. The problem with Adams is that maybe he thought he could keep riding on the financial sector job market until he made the next move in his political career. He seems unprepared to deal with dramatic shifts in the job market. Strange because he announced his candidacy during the pandemic. He should have seen this coming.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:53 PM

2,474 posts, read 1,241,895 times
Quote:
Maybe when the situation is desperate, they will. The problem with Adams is that maybe he thought he could keep riding on the financial sector job market until he made the next move in his political career. He seems unprepared to deal with dramatic shifts in the job market. Strange because he announced his candidacy during the pandemic. He should have seen this coming.
Jokes on him, NYC Mayor is a political dead end. Anyone west of the Hudson, says "he was the Mayor of NYC? Pffft, that place is a joke". Lindsay, Beame, Koch, Dinkins, Rudy, Bloomberg, DeBlasio. Ad infinitum.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Jokes on him, NYC Mayor is a political dead end. Anyone west of the Hudson, says "he was the Mayor of NYC? Pffft, that place is a joke". Lindsay, Beame, Koch, Dinkins, Rudy, Bloomberg, DeBlasio. Ad infinitum.
Yeah but being mayor blamed for a failed job market is certain doom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City