Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 01:04 PM

8,365 posts, read 4,377,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Armani Miller, age 24, from Brooklyn, has been charged with:
  • Attempted murder- depraved indifference,
  • Criminal possession of a weapon,
  • Criminal use of a firearm,
  • Reckless endangerment,
  • Numerous NYS VTL infractions.
Ivor Minott, age 19, from Brooklyn, has been charged with:
  • Reckless endangerment,
Garron White, age 18, from Brooklyn, has been charged with"
  • Reckless endangerment,
  • Obstruction of governmental administration.
Daquan Young, age 18, from Brooklyn, has been charged with:

All four were arraigned in Town of Clarkstown Justice Court, where they were remanded to the Rockland County Jail in lieu of $150,000.00 cash or $250,000.00 fully secured bond.

A fifth suspect, a juvenile, has also been charged and was arraigned in the Town of Haverstraw Justice Court.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/mtki...orhood/824996/

ARMANI Miller? Seriously? Hello Seventh Floor! One more argument against your theory that poverty causes crime, and in favor of my theory that deliberate identification with a sub-culture which glamorizes crime in fact causes crime. What kind of values do parents aim to instill in their son when they name him Armani (unless of course it happens to be the last name of the family, which does not seem to be the case here)? And do you really seriously think that his younger relative Maserati considers that an honest, maximally involved math teacher in a public school is a more cool role model than Armani who is about to be locked up, hopefully for quite a while?

I haven't heard of a charge for "depraved indifference" before, though. Is this a new legal concept? Sounds extremely accurate, something that probably applies to most of the perpetrators of the crime wave in NYC, possibly to a number of people involved in the city politics/city government too...

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-31-2022 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 02:08 PM

1,060 posts, read 543,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
ARMANI Miller? Seriously? Hello Seventh Floor! One more argument against your theory that poverty causes crime, and in favor of my theory that deliberate identification with a sub-culture which glamorizes crime in fact causes crime. What kind of values do parents aim to instill in their son when they name him Armani (unless of course it happens to be the last name of the family, which does not seem to be the case here)? And do you really seriously think that his younger relative Maserati considers that an honest, maximally involved math teacher in a public school is a more cool role model than Armani who is about to be locked up, hopefully for quite a while?

I haven't heard of a charge for "depraved indifference" before, though. Is this a new legal concept? Sounds extremely accurate, something that probably applies to most of the perpetrators of the crime wave in NYC, possibly to a number of people involved in the city politics/city government too...
I think I've heard of Depraved Indifference a bunch of times on tv - Law and Order.

If I were the guy removing snow, I'd be really PO'd at my reckless neighbor who rented out his house to 18 and 19 year olds from Brooklyn.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:14 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:

How can you say this when you don't know their upbringings?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-31-2022, 02:14 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I think I've heard of Depraved Indifference a bunch of times on tv - Law and Order.

If I were the guy removing snow, I'd be really PO'd at my reckless neighbor who rented out his house to 18 and 19 year olds from Brooklyn.
Can very likely be Short Term Rental Arbitrage. Homeowner rents to a traditional tenant for a year lease or so, then tenant sublets as a short term rental on AirBNB and profits.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:21 PM

1,060 posts, read 543,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Can very likely be Short Term Rental Arbitrage. Homeowner rents to a traditional tenant for a year lease or so, then tenant sublets as a short term rental on AirBNB and profits.
Interesting. Never heard of that til now.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:42 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
The same thing was happening in the Poconos a while back. A friend of mine was looking at houses out there, and a lot of them looked like they were worked over by hood rats. I can't be sure if they were from NYC or Philly, but one house had been stripped and had what looked like Latin Kings graffiti in it.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:45 PM

562 posts, read 464,133 times
Quote:

As I see it, a name is a name and shouldn't define the person. Why are names like Robert, Eric, Stephanie, Jill, etc" considered to be good names, while other names that are not European American are considered to be bad names?

I've noticed a few of my friends from other cultures abridging their names or taking on an American name, because it is considered more socially acceptable.

I tend to judge people by their actions and not their names.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:52 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
It's not just "Brooklyn Ghetto Thugs" who act like animals. Any large group, especially those with members who do not have a fully developed pre-frontal cortex

From Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Frat/commen...n_for_a_party/

Renting a Mansion for a party
Anyone ever rent a mansion or penthouse for a party on Airbnb or any website you would recommend? I want to throw a sick party and would like to change up the location from our college town to a mansion.

Response from: ramblinjd
ΔΣΦ
We rented an old mansion that was regularly used as an event venue for our local formal one year. It was awesome and super classy. We even had a jazz band. I can't think of a brother who didn't get some that night. [to prove my point about the pre-frontal cortex needing further development]

Don't just rent a big vacation house and throw down. My parents have a really nice cabin in the mountains and some frat rented it and the neighboring 2 cabins for what was presumably a huge party weekend. When the cleaning crew found a blow-up doll and many cases worth of beer cans and bottles tossed down the gulch from the back railing, plus a number of stolen or broken items in the cabins, the management company just used it as an excuse to get someone to pay for a bunch of work that needed to be done. The social chair's dad (cosigned for his son cause contract had to have someone over 25) was fined like $10k on top of the original rental cost and cleaning fee and we got to replace a bunch of stuff that had been needing work (they couldn't prove they didn't break it and we could prove they broke a ton of stuff) plus we hired a special crew to rappel down the mountain and do a huge cleanup of all the trash and do some other work down there while they were at it since it's tough to get to. Don't be those guys.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:53 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
As I see it, a name is a name and shouldn't define the person. Why are names like Robert, Eric, Stephanie, Jill, etc" considered to be good names, while other names that are not European American are considered to be bad names?

I've noticed a few of my friends from other cultures abridging their names or taking on an American name, because it is considered more socially acceptable.

I tend to judge people by their actions and not their names.
Do you think that Armani is coming from this person's "culture" or do you think it's aspirational?

Old 01-31-2022, 03:44 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post

Depraved indifference is actually on the NY legal books. A 10 second google search found this,

https://nycourts.gov/judges/cji/2-Pe...120/120-25.pdf

"DEPRAVED INDIFFERENCE TO HUMAN LIFE refers to a person’s state of mind in recklessly engaging in conduct which
creates a grave risk of death. A person has a depraved indifference to human life when that person has an utter disregard
for the value of human life – a willingness to act, not because he or she means to cause grievous harm, but because he or she
simply does not care whether or not grievous harm will result."

My lawyer friend says the most common example cited is that of a car driver going onto a sidewalk to mow pedestrians down. (just see the many examples of 3rd world Uber and taxi drivers in NYC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City